Calling all Obama Fans!

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Care4all, May 25, 2008.

1. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,024
    Ok, as a Democrat, I would like to hear a few things from my fellow Democrats supporting the Obama campaign for the Democratic nomination.

I need to be "sold" on him, can you sell him?

1. What CHANGE will there be in having Obama as a President verses having Clinton as a President? What exactly is the "CHANGE" you see and chant regarding Obama being the Candidate of Change, that should make me want to have him in as our President verses Clinton?

2. What HOPE is it that you see in Obama that I should see in Obama?

3. What is it that you know about Obama and his actions and voting record that would make him qualified to be the President of the United States at this time in our History? What are his strengths that would qualify him as our President compared to his weaknesses as president?

4. What is it that you expect Obama to do as your President, what are your needs and wants that you believe he can bring you or bring to America as President?

Care

2. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I can't speak for clinton haters, because I've never hated her. I actually think there's not much difference between her and Obama policy wise. I have been distressed at how ugly this campaign has become, and some of the tactics she has used.

I've never been one to be duped by simplistic rhetorical campaign slogans, like "change" or "hope".

But, THIS is primarily why I voted for Obama:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,010
    First, I haven't decided between Obama and McCain, though I'm leaning towards Obama. But between Obama and Hillary, I'm backing Obama.

I have no problem with Hillary as a person or as President. There is little difference between the two on policy. So I base my opinion on three factors.

1 - The political environment has become poisonous and toxic. The dialogue is often in the sewer. I blame this primarily on the political Right, but the Clintons throw the muck around with the best of them. Enough of the politics of division.

2 - Enough with the f****** Bushes and the Clintons! This is America, not some tin pot third world nation ruled by hereditary! Are you telling me that in a nation of 300 million people, the most powerful and richest country the planet has ever seen, that it can only be ruled by two f****** families? Enough already!

3 - Its time to look forward to a nation of new leaders. This country needs a big change. The Clintons represent the past.

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Hi, Care... with the choice between Obama and Clinton, like you I voted for Clinton.

If it was between Clinton and McCain, again, I'd vote for Clinton.

The problem is that our choice won't be either of those. We're going to choose between Obama and McCain. I can't in good conscience vote for McCain because I see him as little more than a continuation of the failures of the last 7 years... When he ran in 2000, he was a different candidate. So, we can't keep going after Obama and asking these questions, really, not if we expect to take the white house in november.

So, you and I and others like us, can keep bemoaning the way they've been telling Hillary to drop out of the race for months (regardless of the effect that must have had on her fundraising), and them pretending she didn't win all of the big purple states that we need... and ask.. well, what is better for us? Someone who thinks that judicial review shouldn't exist and "doesn't know much about economics" and doesn't understand the difference between shi'a and sunni, or someone who is untried and will have to prove himself? To me, at least, there's no choice.

On a side note to Toro: perhaps those of you who object to the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton should have complained about that before Baby Bush's insertion into the office of president.

5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,010
    I did. I didn't think Bush was qualified to be President, and that if his name hadn't been "Bush," there was no way he would have been in the position to run for President. I'm pretty sure my suspicions have turned out to be correct.

EDIT - And my political hero is Margaret Thatcher, just to dispel any notion this might be a gender thing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I agree, obviously, with respect to Baby Bush. Thing is, Hillary is qualified and she could have won. I'd have liked to see a woman president. I figure in terms of toughness, Hillary Clinton matches Margaret Thatcher ounce for ounce. (Though I disagree with Thatcher's policies, I respect the woman).

As for gender bias, never saw any in your posts. :cool:

7. Dogger

Dogger Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not only correct, but elegantly understated, too.

Had W. been born into a typical working class family, a man of his talent would be sporting a mullet and pumping gas.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,752
    I don't Obama represents a change. If he were as squeaky clean as he pretends to be he would have disqualified himself from the Florida primary after he spoke to the press. IMO, if he wins the nomination he wins it by taking advantage of Florida voters.

And this latest nonsense where his campaign tried to make it seem like Hillary was hoping he'd be assasinated...there's really no difference between him and the rest of the politicians.

:eusa_hand:

9. CharlestonChad

CharlestonChad Baller Deluxe

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If feel the change comes in his technique of diplomacy. He is not a polarizing figure quite like Clinton.
    I have hope in progress. Obama has been able to work on both sides of the fence, which is something that has become almost extinct nowadays.

I'm not going to cite specifics, but I feel like Obama has a strong background of showing solid judgment regarding important issues that face our nation.

I expect Obama to lift the ban on stemcell research funding.
    I expect Obama to influence the rest of the world to start combating global warming
    I expect Obama to END the war in Iraq, and strengthen our fight against terrorism overseas without removing more freedoms at home

10. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    If it was between Hillary and Obama, it's a toss up for me.

If it's between McCain and either of the Dems, I don't have any problem making a decision.

The only time I voted Republican was the first term of that actor from Hollywood. After I saw what he was doing to the middle and working class, I voted against him.

McCain isn't even as qualified as the actor from Hollywood was.