Calling All Computer Experts

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
With going to Grad school and a lot of the writing I will be doing, I need to buy a lap top in the next couple days. I'm looking for some good suggestions of a good priced used/refurbished lap top to buy. I know people love Macbooks but those are out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $200-250 on something. I won't be gaming on it so that doesn't really matter to me. Here is one I really like that has an SSD HD.

HP Elitebook 8470p Laptop WEBCAM - Core i5 2.6ghz - 8GB DDR3 - 128GB SSD - DVDRW - Windows 10 64bit - (Certified Refurbished)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0BTKYE/?tag=ff0d01-20

Price: $255.95 & FREE Shipping. Details

Looks pretty good actually.
Should serve your needs well enough.
Check if there's a version with Windows 7 on it though.
Windows 10 sucks!

Windows 10 sucks!

Yeah unfortunately I can't find one with Windows 7 on it. Isn't there a way to go back to Windows 7 off of Windows 10?

Windows 10 sucks!

Yeah unfortunately I can't find one with Windows 7 on it. Isn't there a way to go back to Windows 7 off of Windows 10?
There is, but it's not so easy on the new PCs that come with it.

However, the one you're about to purchase is an older model that didn't originally come with Windows 10, or 8, so it should be fairly straight-forward if you have a Windows CD or USB to install it with.

With going to Grad school and a lot of the writing I will be doing, I need to buy a lap top in the next couple days. I'm looking for some good suggestions of a good priced used/refurbished lap top to buy. I know people love Macbooks but those are out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $200-250 on something. I won't be gaming on it so that doesn't really matter to me. Here is one I really like that has an SSD HD.

HP Elitebook 8470p Laptop WEBCAM - Core i5 2.6ghz - 8GB DDR3 - 128GB SSD - DVDRW - Windows 10 64bit - (Certified Refurbished)

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elitebook-8470p-Laptop-WEBCAM/dp/B01M0BTKYE/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1504131397&sr=1-7&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289793011|2289792011,p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:7817224011|7817223011,p_n_size_browse-bin:2423841011|2423840011,p_n_operating_system_browse-bin:2232494011|12035945011,p_n_feature_twelve_browse-bin:9521908011

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elitebook-8470p-Laptop-WEBCAM/dp/B01M0BTKYE/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1504131397&sr=1-7&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289793011|2289792011,p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:7817224011|7817223011,p_n_size_browse-bin:2423841011|2423840011,p_n_operating_system_browse-bin:2232494011|12035945011,p_n_feature_twelve_browse-bin:9521908011

Believe it or not, they are more expensive than what I've found on Amazon.

I'll take one..

I take my 'puter down to the Geek shop where they have loads of old parts and get one that will work in the range I need..I have one for business and office and one for gaming...I'd like to get a laptop, just a few more years of shopping with coupons and I'll have enough saved...

I take my 'puter down to the Geek shop where they have loads of old parts and get one that will work in the range I need..I have one for business and office and one for gaming...I'd like to get a laptop, just a few more years of shopping with coupons and I'll have enough saved...

This one looks like a heck of a deal, and it has an SD card slot and the GPU is Intel HD Graphics 4000 which isn't bad.

This one looks like a heck of a deal, and it has an SD card slot and the GPU is Intel HD Graphics 4000 which isn't bad.
Yeah, HP isn't known for their graphics but they are pretty tough units..I had one for about 7 years and it had been in several electrical storms where the phone box was being zapped and I had to replace the power supply and the internet connection board..

Believe it or not, they are more expensive than what I've found on Amazon.
I had no idea. I know that I've bought from them many many times. I always found them to be cheaper than most places. I bought computers, monitors, and parts from them for years. But, I understand they are owned by someone else now. The prices may have gone up since I last purchased from them.

Windows 10 sucks!

Actually it's fairly easy with HPs to go back to Win 7........ The real problem is you have to find a legal version of Win 7 which will set you back for $130 to $150 for the home versions. Once that's done you enter BIOs at boot up and change it from UEFI to Legacy boot then select the optical drive as the first boot device. Here's the thing with Win 10, it's a combination of bloatware and limited spyware built in but that can easily be overcome to a point. You can choose to "turn off" Cortana but it will still run in the background sending anonymous data to Microsoft, the latest upgrade just insured Cortana cannot be blocked (for now......). That leads to my only other problem with Win 10, forced updates, unlike Win 7 you can't choose to hide updates and not download them but other than those issues there's really nothing wrong with Win 10. You can also get rid of all their bloatware (even the ones they won't let you uninstall directly in Win 10) and completely turn off Edge.

Windows 10 sucks!

Actually it's fairly easy with HPs to go back to Win 7........ The real problem is you have to find a legal version of Win 7 which will set you back for $130 to $150 for the home versions. Once that's done you enter BIOs at boot up and change it from UEFI to Legacy boot then select the optical drive as the first boot device. Here's the thing with Win 10, it's a combination of bloatware and limited spyware built in but that can easily be overcome to a point. You can choose to "turn off" Cortana but it will still run in the background sending anonymous data to Microsoft, the latest upgrade just insured Cortana cannot be blocked (for now......). That leads to my only other problem with Win 10, forced updates, unlike Win 7 you can't choose to hide updates and not download them but other than those issues there's really nothing wrong with Win 10. You can also get rid of all their bloatware (even the ones they won't let you uninstall directly in Win 10) and completely turn off Edge.

I bought an OEM version of Windows 7 Ultimate for like $20 (with optional bad hard drive they have to include in order to sell OEM versions of the software). They even send the software file that can be downloaded and burned to a disc.

Windows 10 sucks!

I bought an OEM version of Windows 7 Ultimate for like $20 (with optional bad hard drive they have to include in order to sell OEM versions of the software). They even send the software file that can be downloaded and burned to a disc.
Most likely you will have to contact Microsoft after installing it to get it authorized but to be honest I don't think they do that any longer with Win 7 so that OEM may be nothing more than a $20 dust collector. :dunno:

Windows 10 sucks!

Most likely you will have to contact Microsoft after installing it to get it authorized but to be honest I don't think they do that any longer with Win 7 so that OEM may be nothing more than a $20 dust collector. :dunno:

Hmm I dunno I'm running it on my system now and as you know Microsoft makes you run that authenticator update and it has gone through that and I get all the security updates just fine.

Windows 10 sucks!

Hmm I dunno I'm running it on my system now and as you know Microsoft makes you run that authenticator update and it has gone through that and I get all the security updates just fine.
Oh it's for a machine you had for a while. I misunderstood. That disc will not be authenticated if you put it on your new machine because it's already authenticated on the one you already have.
You could always do a Hackentosh but that takes some real knowledge and might not work that well on the computer you have in mind. The only other option available is Linux if you can't get a legal copy of Win 7 and you truly hate Win 10. Whatever you decide is up to you, I can help you with all but the Hackentosh, never was able to get it to work for me.

Oh it's for a machine you had for a while. I misunderstood. That disc will not be authenticated if you put it on your new machine because it's already authenticated on the one you already have.
You could always do a Hackentosh but that takes some real knowledge and might not work that well on the computer you have in mind. The only other option available is Linux if you can't get a legal copy of Win 7 and you truly hate Win 10. Whatever you decide is up to you, I can help you with all but the Hackentosh, never was able to get it to work for me.

Ok maybe we are confusing each other. Are you saying that no one is allowed to sell OEM copies of Windows 7 anymore like the one I bought for my desktop?

I think this is where I bought it from before. Only $13.49 cents now.

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32 64 bit Lifetime FULL NEW KEY + Download Link

Forum List

Back