Call To Action: Support NAACP

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
And lastly, if charter schools are about good education, why are they not in suburban communities? Are charter schools done to impoverished communities of color more than for impoverished communities of color? Is the charter school movement part of what Rupert Murdoch calls a profit-making “$500 billion sector in the US alone” and violated on the unsuspecting parents who are earnestly searching for the best for their children? Are charter schools windfalls for enterprising entrepreneurs?

I left the meeting concerned.

Then I later became dismayed. The result of the hearing was that in June the Governor gave the legislature an ultimatum: 401 new charter school seats must be funded. That resulted in an increase of 4.1 million allocated for charter schools and a decrease of 51.7 million for traditional public schools and a decrease of 15.4 million for magnet schools. Connecticut is in a financial crisis; everything is being trimmed. The only way to account for the increasing of the budget allocation for charter schools is to recognize the role of campaign financing. The Governor’s chief campaign contributor, a wealthy entrepreneur, sits on the boards of charter schools and is a lead advocator for charter schools in Connecticut.

Politics. Profits for entrepreneurs. Racism. Inadequate learning experiences for students. What hope is there for all the children?

But then came the summer and the good news…….

The NAACP is doing something for all of the children.. They have taken a firm stand. At their national convention in July, the NAACP passed a resolution calling for a moratorium on new charter schools. The NAACP criticized charter schools for lack of public governance, the targeting of low income communities of color, increased segregation, inadequate teaching staffs, and harsh disciplinary practices. The organization that has long been in the forefront of highlighting civil rights violations has taken the lead. More than 50 African American social advocacy groups, including the Black Lives Matter movement has joined the NAACP, stating that charter schools represent a “systemic attack” on communities of color.

The resolution for a moratorium on charter school expansion requires ratification by the Board of Directors of the NAACP at a board meeting in the fall. The charter school industry, with the unlimited money of Bill and Melinda Gates, the Broad Foundation, and the Walton family are marshaling forces to overturn the NAACP resolution. A PAC called Democrats for Education Reform, whose board is composed largely of hedge fund managers who seem to regard privatizing education through charters schools as a way to turn a small amount of capital into a large amount of capital, are engaged in fierce opposition to the NAACP resolution.

You can be a voice in this controversy. If you believe that the NAACP has taken a positive step forward with their call for a moratorium on new charter schools, please join me by clicking on the following link to state your support to the NAACP for their wise and courageous resolution.

Call To Action: Support NAACP

So, now maybe people will give a damn.

So the NAACP is going up against the Gates Foundation that is about as left-wing as they get? :popcorn:

Now, that we have the emoji covered, I would need to see evidence that charter schools are being limited to "communities of color" and if they are, I would need to see evidence that those "communities of color" fought these instead of supporting these schools. This could very well be like Flint Michigan nearly unanimously voting to change water suppliers against advice because the new supplier would save them $5M by not adding the chemicals that would have prevented what was to happen from happening and then screaming victimhood alleging they were forced to do this by state republicans when what they were warned would happen happened.

Why would I support the NAACP? They are an extremist, reactionary, bigoted organization

Just between you and me, I don't give a damn if you support the NAACP or not. There is a point in there.

Perhaps the reason the suburbs are not seeing charter schools is that their public schools are successful. Charter schools seem to follow failing districts. I know in my own neck of the woods, Cleveland, Ohio the biggest fans of the charters are the parents whose children attend them. Those parents often speak as my parents did many years ago and I do now about catholic schools. Discipline. If you are not here to learn, get out. There are 20 other kids that are here to learn. The public schools in many areas will never succeed until they take back control of their schools. No amount of money will change that.

Why would I support the NAACP? They are an extremist, reactionary, bigoted organization

Just between you and me, I don't give a damn if you support the NAACP or not. There is a point in there.
So why don't you point it out? Other than the "harsh disciplinary standards". Which probably means nothing more than the sprogs can't act like animals, and have to adhere to some semblance of a dress code.

So why don't you point it out? Other than the "harsh disciplinary standards". Which probably means nothing more than the sprogs can't act like animals, and have to adhere to some semblance of a dress code.

Or you could read the article.

I did. Where do you think I got the quote from. So what was the point that you took from it? It's always interesting to hear reality translated into Libspew.

the naacp is a racist org that is allowed to break the law every moment of every day.

if you want charter schools in poor parts of town, tell the dems to allow vouchers

something they shot down to keep black poor and dumb, with the help of the naacp

I did. Where do you think I got the quote from. So what was the point that you took from it? It's always interesting to hear reality translated into Libspew.

Ok, sweet pea. The liberals are going to have to choose between hedge funds and racism.

Ok, sweet pea. The liberals are going to have to choose between hedge funds and racism.
Racism will exist regardless of hedge funds. It's not like the Democrat party is going to abandon its racist M.O. No matter the outcome.

Racism will exist regardless of hedge funds. It's not like the Democrat party is going to abandon its racist M.O. No matter the outcome.

There is a huge rift between liberals It is almost funny trying to explain it to right wing folk because they keep thinking Democrats are not involved in privatizing the education system. It insulates and protects the Democrats.

There are two very different conversations taking place.

There is a huge rift between liberals It is almost funny trying to explain it to right wing folk because they keep thinking Democrats are not involved in privatizing the education system. It insulates and protects the Democrats.

The only thing Democrats give a shit about when it comes to education are the union dollars flowing into their campaigns.

The only thing Democrats give a shit about when it comes to education are the union dollars flowing into their campaigns.

No.
It was undeniable with Arne Duncan.

I have actual experience with Charter schools as my kids attended 3 different charter schools before entering high school. In general what we found was an accelerated and more challenging curriculum at each one.

You can run into "oddities" as each one has it's own quirks. At one of the schools that was run by Turkish teachers they were totally into Math Olympics. My son was picked to be on the team but he didn't like the kids on the them nor the teacher running it so I didn't force him to do it. After that he and his brother were singled out multiple times for "behavioral issues" which had never happened at any school before or since.

My point is don't assume they are sub standard just because the NAACP is inferring that because the reality could be quite the opposite. Just watch out for the "quirks".

Didn't read the article, but I saw a few people mention the Bill Gates foundation...what a disaster! Seriously my district wasted the money and implemented the horrible EET string attached.

Forum List

Back