Call this a Major OOOPS!!!!

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzsell0319,0,1292393,print.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

Bush campaign gear made in Burma
His campaign store sells a pullover from nation whose products he has banned from being sold in the U.S.

BY LAUREN WEBER
STAFF WRITER

March 18, 2004, 9:49 PM EST

The official merchandise Web site for President George W. Bush's re-election campaign has sold clothing made in Burma, whose goods were banned by Bush from the U.S. last year to punish its military dictatorship.

The merchandise sold on www.georgewbushstore.com includes a $49.95 fleece pullover, embroidered with the Bush-Cheney '04 logo and bearing a label stating it was made in Burma, now Myanmar. The jacket was sent to Newsday as part of an order that included a shirt made in Mexico and a hat not bearing a country-of-origin label.

The Bush merchandise is handled by Spalding Group, a 20-year-old supplier of campaign products and services in Louisville, Ky., that says it worked for the last five Republican presidential nominees.

Ted Jackson, Spalding's president, said, "We have found only one other in our inventory that was made in Burma. The others were made in the U.S.A." He said the company had about 60 of thefleece pullovers in its warehouse, and that a supplier included the Burma product by mistake.

Bush campaign officials did not return calls seeking comment. The imports are potentially an issue because outsourcing has become a hot political topic in the election.

Bush last July signed into law the Burmese Freedom and Democracy Act, saying "The United States will not waver from its commitment to the cause of democracy and human rights in Burma."

Violators of the import ban are subject to fines and jail, according to the U.S. Treasury Department.

Burmese textile workers earn as little as 7 cents per hour, according to the National Labor Committee, a human rights group.

"If it is true, it is very contradictory because the sanctions were imposed by the Bush administration," said Bo Hla-Tint, a spokesman for the Burmese government-in-exile in Washington, D.C.

Spalding, which works exclusively with Republican candidates at both local and national levels, tries to order American-made products, Jackson said. "Our first effort is always to source things from the U.S., but not a lot of garments are made in the U.S. Friday," he said. He said all embroidery is done in the United States.

The Bush-Cheney fleece pullovers were imported to the United States by Denver-based Colorado Trading & Clothing. President Jeff Schmitt said Thursday the pullovers were included in one of the last shipments brought in from Burma last year before Sept. 1, when the import ban went into effect. "It's a terrible irony" that the Burmese jacket landed at Newsday, he said.

Schmitt said Colorado Trading employs an agent in Asia who conducts checks of factory conditions.

Human rights watcher Charles Kernaghan, director of the National Labor Committee, said the slip-up showed a lack of conviction on the administration's part. "Given the debate about outsourcing, it's amazing that the campaign would be selling stuff made in the most brutal country on earth, known for things like child labor and sexual slavery," he said. "It shows a crude indifference to this issue."

The National Basketball Association recently vowed to stop selling Burmese-made sweatshirts after a campaign by the NLC.

Last week, Newsday ordered a hat, T-shirt and fleece pullover or jacket from both the Bush and Kerry campaign stores. The Bush merchandise - which totaled $81.85 - arrived this week. The Kerry products, worth $62, have yet to arrive because the fleece jacket was on back order, according to Financial Innovations, the company that licenses and sells Kerry merchandise on the Web site www.kerrygear.com.

The campaigns receive no profits from the merchandise because of federal election regulations.

The Kerry merchandise was made in the United States, according to Mark Weiner, the president of Financial Innovations. The company, whose employees belong to the Communications Workers of America Union, sources most of its merchandise from union factories.

"It's becoming more difficult to find American-made union product, especially in textiles, but you just have to look. We pay more money for them, so we make a smaller profit margin," said Paul McConnell, Financial Innovations' vice president.

Sounds like the supplier fu^%ed up, although I'm willing to wager this makes the rounds through the usual channels and will come back solely as GW's fault.

if it does come back around it needs to bite the campaign manager's ass. I wouldn't blame this on bush myself, although, I'm sure others will

Originally posted by Hannitized
"A supplier included the Burma product by mistake"
"Brought in from Burma last year before Sept. 1, when the import ban went into effect"
Sorry, had to point these things out, sometimes the blinded liberal eyes miss things and make bigger deals out of it then need be.

good catch, but my earlier post should indicate I'm not blaming bush, but his campaign manager as he should be checking for this.

Agreed... that campaign manager is ultimately responsible, though I'm sure that he's got a lacke-- uh, subordinate, running the logistics for that website.

Originally posted by Hannitized
I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was attacking you. I was just speaking in general. And what WILL be made a BIG deal on another message board that I frequent. Again, I'm terribly sorry! I guess I'm just mentally preparing myself, LOL!

no problemo ;)

it evidently is not a big concern for bush though because if he really cared about american workers he would lead by example and make it a priority to use only american made products.the fact is bush absolutely does not care about american workers if he did he would urge this nation to buy american and try to get congress to speak out for american made goods.if bush cared about american workers he would secure our borders.if bush cared about american workers he would see that nafta and the rest of our current trade policy is unfair to companies that produce products here in the u.s.that's not to say that kerry will do anything different.

Originally posted by cptpwichita
it evidently is not a big concern for bush though because if he really cared about american workers he would lead by example and make it a priority to use only american made products.the fact is bush absolutely does not care about american workers if he did he would urge this nation to buy american and try to get congress to speak out for american made goods.if bush cared about american workers he would secure our borders.if bush cared about american workers he would see that nafta and the rest of our current trade policy is unfair to companies that produce products here in the u.s.that's not to say that kerry will do anything different.
Oh please, spare me the theatrics. If one single person in this country gave a damn about anyone but himself I'd drop dead from surprise. When american workers begin making a better, more economical product than they will compete more successfully with other parts of the world.

Bush does an awful lot for workers. Unfortunately, this country is no longer isolationist and he has to live in this country with its rules- you have FDR and the liberals to thank for that. Should Bush decide to just screw the rest of the world by a complete isolationist economy believe me, your life would be worse, not better.

also americans don't make 7 cents an hour(burma) or $5 a day(mexico) or use slave labor(china).how do we compete with that?

I missed nothing. I'm not going to repeat what I've said several times about why the cost of doing business in this country is so high, suffice it to say wage rates are only one of the few contributing factors. Until those factors - factors immediately controlled by the people in this country - nothing will change vis a vis the problem of people going elsewhere to do business.

Forum List

Back