Call for atheism to be included in religious education

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Tommy Tainant, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,915
    It would be the shortest two sentences ever uttered in a class room. It is unnecessary.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,682
    Hey, I can teach that in about two minutes:

You came from nothing. Your conscience and consciousness are an accident. You will return to nothing.

Make something of nothing if you want to. If you don't, fine, your choice. Because to nothing you will return. Or as some atheists like to fantastically put it: "stardust".

BTW: this is all canceled if you lose your "sentience". Also, whatever that is.

Have a nice life!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tehon

Tehon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,541
    Maybe, but if you are going to make comparative religion a course study then it should include a discussion about the absence of religion as a matter of comparison.

4. bullwinkle

bullwinkle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,728
    I attended public schools a very long time ago. At that time NO religion was taught in schools, but rather that subject was the responsibility of home and Sunday School/church. When did they start teaching religion in grade schools anyway? I don't recall any of my kids taking such a class either. Of course those kids are now grandparents too.

5. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,915
    It's unnecessary. I'm an atheist. My son is an atheist. My bio parents are now atheists. My step-dad is a Buddhist. It isn't that no one is familiar with religion. Indeed, we have Catholicism, Mormons, Quakers, etc.
    I'm done with people using atheism to soap box or attempt to use as a voting block. Put atheism in there and it's going to be a battle with a bunch of dimwitted clowns who are going to spend their time saying stupid crap about atheism and communism. I promise--it's going to happen.

If you are a Piaget fan, then between the ages of 12 and 15 kids are moving into comprehension of abstract concepts. People have a tendency to underestimate the discussions that are already occurring and naturally evolving as they age. There really is nothing to compare.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,915
    I bet you have come across it before in the last 5-7 years and may not have paid attention to it. I'm sure you have seen those articles or posts made by people who are swearing up and down that sharia law is being taught to children in public schools. They are taken out of context. Public schools cannot teach religion as they do in churches etc. So, it is just the basic principles in world wide religions.

7. bullwinkle

bullwinkle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,728
    You are right, but I hadn't thought of that. Seems to me fitting that if a study of varying religions are taught, basics of ALL the various forms should be explained. Understanding seems a lot better than ignorance. My grandfather (born 1890) had pamphlets with drawings of nuns dropping their babies fathered by priests down sewers. In spite of the current sexual treachery of several dioceses that needs to be addressed and stricken, this kind of ignorance was common in his day and I am grateful we as a nation mostly grew out of it, if not completely yet. But without tolerance understanding it will be a very long slog.

8. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,915
    We don't have a state religion. This is not Saudi Arabia or Iran. Atheists haven't been persecuted here in a long time Will there be attempts to overreach? Sure. Will there be a few people that spend their time shooting their mouth off about atheism? Sure. There comes a point in time where it isn't about the discussions that are naturally occurring but in micromanaging those discussions. The First Amendment is all about tolerance. It's built in.

9. Tommy Tainant

Tommy Tainant Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,957
    When I was in school you could drop it when you were 13 which is when you chose your exam subjects. A few kids carried on with it because it was seen as an easy option for an O level. None of my kids took it but my daughter is considering teaching the subject when she gets her degree.Ive told her that she needs to think carefully about it.

10. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,915
    That's different. We have it as a component of social studies.It doesn't even take the whole semester. It takes a chunk of it.