Californians vote in favor of renewable energy

I'll be honest, I don't understand what's so bad about putting money into alternative/renewable energy. I mean, all forms of energy, before they become "big", so to speak, have to start somewhere right?

Do I agree with the state doing it themselves? Yes, and no. I believe that states should pay more attention to alt. energy, but I believe that the biggest breakthroughs in it will come from the private sector.

But at least they're trying, unlike Georgia D:

CA doesn't have the luxury of playing with solar panels and windmills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/us/california-debt-higher-than-earlier-estimates.html

Gov. Jerry Brown of California announced when he came into office last year that he had found an alarming $28 billion “wall of debt” looming over the state, which had to be dismantled.

Since then, he has slowed the issuance of municipal bonds, called for spending cuts and tried to persuade the state’s famously antitax voters to approve a tax increase this fall.

On Thursday, an independent group of fiscal experts said Mr. Brown’s efforts were all well and good, but in fact, the “wall of debt” was several times as big as the governor thought.

--

The task force estimated that the burden of debt totaled at least $167 billion and as much as $335 billion. Its members warned that the off-the-books debts tended to grow over time, so that even if Mr. Brown should succeed in pushing through his tax increase, gaining an additional $50 billion over the next seven years, the wall of debt would still be there, casting its shadow over the state.​
They need to get their shit together.

LOL! Your state needs to get it's chit together dude. 167 Billion debt for the 8th largest economy in the world with a gross state product of over $1.9 trillion is a spit in a bucket. What state are you in? One of the ones we support with our taxes while you run your own deficits full bore?? LMAO!!:D

Sorry -- someone whose governor didn't know his state's debt was 6 to 12 times bigger than what he thought it was doesn't get to lecture others on fiscal responsibility.

People and companies are leaving CA every day. Your tax base is leaving. CA's response?

Tax those who remain even more and keep spending money you don't have.

That's not sustainable.

Provide a link for that?
You need a link to common sense? :confused:

If wind and solar could compete without government subsidies, they wouldn't need government subsidies, would they?

You seem to be the one lacking in common sense. Did you ever hear of a a term called, "life cycle cost"? And why do we still subsidize oil?
Sure. Let's end subsidies for oil AND wind/solar.

Who do you think will still be in operation?

Californians vote in favor of renewable energy

Californians vote in favor of renewable energy - Power Engineering

During the Nov. 6 election, California voters passed one proposition that will have a direct effect on the growth of the state’s renewable energy industry, and another that could have an indirect effect.

Proposition 39 changes corporate tax code to be based on sales rather than payroll in an effort to make California’s corporate tax structure consistent with most large states. This new structure is expected to generate an additional $1.1 billion each year in revenue. For the first five years after the initiative passes, 50 percent of the funds are set aside for solar, renewables and efficiency projects. After five years, 100 percent of the funds go to education and the general fund.

Proposition 30, meanwhile, eliminates $6 billion in cuts to California colleges and schools, strengthens California competitiveness by maintaining educational funding, taxes high income-earners with more than $500,000 in earnings and provides funding for schools and public safety.

“In implementing Prop 30, the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) hopes that Governor Brown and California’s leaders can balance the budget while preserving a strong tradition of support for the state’s growing leadership in renewables, including solar energy,” said Carrie Cullen Hitt, vice president for State Affairs at SEIA.

This is insane.

10.2% unemployment, but with all this money going to schools and colleges conversations in California's unemployment lines will be on a higher level than in any other state.

"Intellectual unemployment" :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back