Californians cleared to vote on same-sex marriage ban

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
SAN FRANCISCO, California (CNN) -- The California Supreme Court has cleared the way for Californians to vote in November on whether to ban same-sex marriages in the state.

The court on Wednesday denied a petition to remove the initiative from the state's general election ballots. The unanimous decision was handed down without elaboration.

Hundreds of marriage licenses have been issued to same-sex couples since mid-June, a month after the court overturned the state's laws against such unions.

However, on June 2, opponents of same-sex marriage filed for a ballot initiative that would ban such marriages in the state's constitution. Such a ban would overturn the court's May ruling.

Equality California, a Sacramento-based activist group, filed a petition against the initiative -- Proposition 8 -- arguing that it involves a constitutional revision that can't be adopted through a ballot vote.

The group also contended that petitions circulated to qualify the proposition for the ballot contained material that misled readers about the measure's effects.

Jennifer Kerns, a spokeswoman for the proposition, called Wednesday's decision "a huge victory."
more ... Californians cleared to vote on same-sex marriage ban - CNN.com

Gonna be hilarious if the people vote to ban it.

They voted to ban it the first time. The court ruled it unconstitutional. If they vote to ban it, IMO, the people already issued licenses will just use the same route through the judiciary to circumvent it again.

I am not so concerned with the specific issue being challenged as I am the bigger issue (IMO) being illustrated here: We, the people have no real voice in government. Doesn't matter what the majority wants so long as a court can be found to rule in favor of the minority.

Gonna be hilarious if the people vote to ban it.

Why? Do unequal rights turn you on?

"If you think the United States could never elect an Adolf Hitler to power, note that David Duke would have become governor of Louisiana if it had just been up to the white voters in that state." Robert Altemeyer

"If you think the United States could never elect an Adolf Hitler to power, note that David Duke would have become governor of Louisiana if it had just been up to the white voters in that state." Robert Altemeyer
It's not about equal rights, it's about $$$$$$$$$$$.

Do you have a problem with "The people" making the decision for themselves?

These pro-Gay marriage groups are not spending enough money to get support.
They are failing.

Why isn't California voting on building more nuclear plants and wind farms?
Gay marriage is silly compared to the real issues that affect everyone!

It's not about equal rights, it's about $$$$$$$$$$$.
HUH... money..

Do you have a problem with "The people" making the decision for themselves?.
Yeah.. there was a time when the people didnt much care for the mingling of races.. how is this different?

These pro-Gay marriage groups are not spending enough money to get support.They are failing..
Huh.. what.. this has to do with conservative ignorance, biggotry, and overarching and undue influence of the church... arent we fighting this mentality in Afghanistan?

Why isn't California voting on building more nuclear plants and wind farms?
Gay marriage is silly compared to the real issues that affect everyone!

Ayep... thats why this whole argument is as you say.. silly....

just a little law lesson.

the initial prop in cali was to amend statute.

the court then ruled the statute was illegal based on the cali constitution. this is what the court is supposed to do. remember? examine laws to determine if they fit within the constitution. it's called "balance of powers"

this new prop is to amend the constitution.

come on folks, it's american civics.

They do not have the "right" to redefine the 'institution' or actual definition of what a marriage is and always has been...

IMHO, if they want equal rights that are afforded to married couples, while calling it a civil union or whatever (insurance coverage, inheritance, tax returns, etc) ... all well and fine... but it is not a marriage

I personally think of marriage as a business contract between two people, and don't believe that it's just for government to dictate who can and can't go into business with one another. That said, the ballot initiative will pass handily. Then back to the courts...

HUH... money..

Yeah.. there was a time when the people didnt much care for the mingling of races.. how is this different?

Huh.. what.. this has to do with conservative ignorance, biggotry, and overarching and undue influence of the church... arent we fighting this mentality in Afghanistan?

Ayep... thats why this whole argument is as you say.. silly....
BTW, if you do not like Democracy, move to Cuba.

Here is some conservative ignorance.

Marriage = income tax breaks
Marriage = disability benefits.
Marriage = Social security benefits.

These Marriage benefits were set up to promote a man and woman propagating children and yes, that includes Homo children.

Homos are already getting these benefits through their Hetero parents.

You seem to think greed based on two guys screwing each other in the ass is justified.

I say it's not only sick but selfishness that steals money from the families raising Homo children.

Last edited:
BTW, if you do not like Democracy, move to Cuba.
I personally love cuba.. would love to retire there once Obama lifts the travel ban....

Here is some conservative ignorance.

Marriage = income tax breaks
Marriage = disability benefits.
Marriage = Social security benefits.
What .. no pronunciation of love and affection.. I guess marriage to the conservative is nothing more than a business contract.

These Marriage benefits were set up to promote a man and woman propagating children and yes, that includes Homo children.

What about homos with children.. your neat little package ignores that..

Homos are already getting these benefits through their Hetero parents.
HUH? Homos are all minors?

You seem to think greed based on two guys screwing each other in the ass is justified.
Stupid ignorant biggot..

I say it's not only sick but selfishness that steals money from the families raising Homo children.
How exactly is that?

What about hospital visitation and shared property rights...

Seems to me youve got some of your own personal issues to work through...

YOu ever been in a Turkish prison.?

I dont have a problem with same sex marriage but im betting that this chance to vote on it will bring out those who would have been apatheic otherwise. A court didn't give equality to blacks, legislation by the represented people did that. Im curious to see the aftermath of forgetting the democratic process.

I dont have a problem with same sex marriage but im betting that this chance to vote on it will bring out those who would have been apatheic otherwise. A court didn't give equality to blacks, legislation by the represented people did that. Im curious to see the aftermath of forgetting the democratic process.

forgetting the democratic process?

you can say that again.

:cuckoo:

Personally I think if a gay couple wants the same rights and privileges as hetero couples, they should have them.

My little problem is a religious (which personally I'm not very) semantical one. Growing up a catholic marriage is a Christian sacrament given by a church. A religion that has a pretty firm stance against homosexuality in general so it begs the question if a gay couple looks at marriage in the religious sense why would they want bestowed upon them religiously what the religion clearly opposses?

And maybe when we use the term marriage we really only are talking about in the legal sense of recognizing rights rather than something like civil union in which the question is mute.

I personally love cuba.. would love to retire there once Obama lifts the travel ban....

What .. no pronunciation of love and affection.. I guess marriage to the conservative is nothing more than a business contract.

What about homos with children.. your neat little package ignores that..

HUH? Homos are all minors?

Stupid ignorant biggot..

How exactly is that?

What about hospital visitation and shared property rights...

Seems to me youve got some of your own personal issues to work through...

YOu ever been in a Turkish prison.?
If you love Cuba, why aren't you living there now?

All Homos came from a Hetero relationship, hence they already benefited from these benefits.

A marriage could include love and affection but the act of formalizing a marriage is done with a money contract.

Hospital visitation and property rights can he handled through a will and a POA.

It's clear, you want to rape the US tax system, then live in a foreign country to dodge US taxes!

You have some issues with greed.

And with good reason. Imagine if the majority agreed with most of Shog's opinions? We'd all be screwed.
Move to Cuba, Venezuela, Iran or France. No one is stopping you!
These countries do not have a Constitution. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back