California woman's foot savaged by flesh eating bacteria exposing her bones

Necrotizing fasciatis is not contagious at all. A cut isn't even necessary. No one knows how it is contracted. There is no antibiotic that is useful.

I know. My husband died of it and I took care of him. In the times he was in the hospital he was never under contagion protocols.

It started out as a rash about the size of a quarter and grew at the rate of half an inch an hour. We didn't know what it was. That afternoon we went to the emergency room. After examination, the doctors sent for an expert and we waited until the expert arrived.

The doctor performed an immediate surgery to remove the necrotizing flesh. The surgical site was so large it used a vacuum dressing. Blood, pus and liquid was sucked out into a chamber that had to be emptied every couple of hours and dumped down the toilet. None of the home health aids knew how to change this dressing. I went to the hospital and got trained. No contagion protocols.

Right before surgery we were told that survival expectations were a bit less than 50%. That was in October. He died December 10th.

Did he have diabetes, undergoing chemo or anything like that? Seems like an outlying situation even within the rarity of this illness.

While having a weak immune system makes your chances of catching it greater,it's not always the case.
I've cut myself wade fishing oyster reefs dozens of times over the years.

And I am walking around with two big old holes in the bottom of one of my feet after stepping on some rusty nails. People are always being exposed to stuff which is why I asked if there was something else going on there.

Have you had a tetanus shot recently?
Because that has nothing to do with flesh eating bacteria.

Tetnus is not caused by rusty nails but a bacteria in dirt. It is treatable and survivable at even advanced stages. That said, yes. The shots are good for at least 10 years (probably longer in adults) and I had one 3.5 years ago.

All these years of being told it's caused by rusty nails and really it's just like it's a dirty needle.

Did he have diabetes, undergoing chemo or anything like that? Seems like an outlying situation even within the rarity of this illness.

While having a weak immune system makes your chances of catching it greater,it's not always the case.

And I am walking around with two big old holes in the bottom of one of my feet after stepping on some rusty nails. People are always being exposed to stuff which is why I asked if there was something else going on there.

Tetnus is not caused by rusty nails but a bacteria in dirt. It is treatable and survivable at even advanced stages. That said, yes. The shots are good for at least 10 years (probably longer in adults) and I had one 3.5 years ago.

All these years of being told it's caused by rusty nails and really it's just like it's a dirty needle.

Yeah its technically wrong but since the one part of your body that is most likely to come into contact with dirt is your feet, it kind of makes sense why the misconception. The real danger with tetnus in the US is that it happens so rarely, doctors might not know how to diagnose and treat it. The could go their entire career without ever having seen a case of it. I heard of a case a few year back where they had a kid with it and they ended up having to consult the third world to even come up with a treatment strategy because nobody they could find here had a clue.

Yeah its technically wrong but since the one part of your body that is most likely to come into contact with dirt is your feet, it kind of makes sense why the misconception. The real danger with tetnus in the US is that it happens so rarely, doctors might not know how to diagnose and treat it. The could go their entire career without ever having seen a case of it. I heard of a case a few year back where they had a kid with it and they ended up having to consult the third world to even come up with a treatment strategy because nobody they could find here had a clue.

The mythe is even perpetuated by doctors.
When I was a machinist I got cut on a regular basis and the docs always recommended or asked if I'd had a recent tetanus shot.
The material being cut was always clean as a whistle with no dirt in sight.

Perhaps nature is warning us. The purveyors of gaia do not heed their own venom.

When I was a machinist I got cut on a regular basis and the docs always recommended or asked if I'd had a recent tetanus shot.

They also hand out those shots like candy because it is easy money. When I got mine 3.5 years ago, they asked if I had had one. They were told, "Yes, 2 years ago" and they proceeded to give me one anyway because "We have no record of it so we have to administer it". I was thinking "Then why the hell ask if I had one to begin with if you are going to give it anyway". Then I saw the charges on the EOB from the insurance company--a fee for the drug, a fee for the needle and cotton ball covered in alcohol, and a procedure fee for loading said drug into said needle and poking said me in the arm.

They also hand out those shots like candy because it is easy money. When I got mine 3.5 years ago, they asked if I had had one. They were told, "Yes, 2 years ago" and they proceeded to give me one anyway because "We have no record of it so we have to administer it". I was thinking "Then why the hell ask if I had one to begin with if you are going to give it anyway". Then I saw the charges on the EOB from the insurance company--a fee for the drug, a fee for the needle and cotton ball covered in alcohol, and a procedure fee for loading said drug into said needle and poking said me in the arm.

Just got out of the hospital yesterday from getting my hip replacement redone and they told me to leave all my meds at home and that they'd supply them during my stay.
An obvious ripoff.

Just got out of the hospital yesterday from getting my hip replacement redone and they told me to leave all my meds at home and that they'd supply them during my stay.
An obvious ripoff.

Flu shots are another thing they push like mad. When I had been in the ER maybe 3 years ago in freaking July they kept trying to push a flu shot on me. Every single person I came into contact with "Have you had a flu shot? No. We can administer that if you want." I told one nurse that I wouldn't ever worry about coming in there in cardiac arrest because they would resuscitate me just to find out if I wanted a flu shot.

Lucky for her she got it before the GOP kills Obamacare completely.
Congratulations...you have converted a completely apolitical topic into a political one.

SUPERSTARRRRRR!

It was political from the word "Go".

Or did you miss the part where the OP threw in the immigration/open boarders comment? Like that has anything to do with necrotizing fasciitis.
That's not politics smokey...that's just illegality. People may make it a political issue but it really is a legality issue.
We have laws for a purpose and people are not following them.

Are you telling me that our laws cannot be, and have not been politicized? Do you really believe that? If you do, you're a fool and you have not been paying attention the last few years.

But, whatever helps you sleep at night, spanker.
No...I am saying that statutes we enacted into laws and no one is following them. That is not political, that is illegality. When those placed in positions of power fail to carry out their duties they are in violation of the law. No politics required.

The wrath of hell hath descended upon the Earth. (Or I could just say that looks nasty as hell)
Imagine if this became highly contagious.

Yeah, like I asked in the ongoing thread on this....

What's Up with All This Flesh Eating Bacteria ??
What's up with all this Flesh Eating Bacteria ?
It is highly contagious...it is antibiotic resistant staphylococcus bacteria. If you have a small cut and that bacteria gets into it you're fucked too.
The worst place you can be is a hospital.
Necrotizing fasciatis is not contagious at all. A cut isn't even necessary. No one knows how it is contracted. There is no antibiotic that is useful.

I know. My husband died of it and I took care of him. In the times he was in the hospital he was never under contagion protocols.

It started out as a rash about the size of a quarter and grew at the rate of half an inch an hour. We didn't know what it was. That afternoon we went to the emergency room. After examination, the doctors sent for an expert and we waited until the expert arrived.
However, I must disagree. If you have close contact with someone and the bacteria gets into your wound, abrasion it is very possible to be afflicted as well.

The doctor performed an immediate surgery to remove the necrotizing flesh. The surgical site was so large it used a vacuum dressing. Blood, pus and liquid was sucked out into a chamber that had to be emptied every couple of hours and dumped down the toilet. None of the home health aids knew how to change this dressing. I went to the hospital and got trained. No contagion protocols.

Right before surgery we were told that survival expectations were a bit less than 50%. That was in October. He died December 10th.
Wow...that's some heavy shit. Was he a healthy person otherwise? I mean, prior to this incident?
Yes. Very healthy. He just woke up one morning with this red blotch on his thigh as big as a quarter. By 3pm that afternoon it went from crotch to knee. I used a sharpie to see how fast it was growing. I put a line at the margins. It spread at a half inch an hour.
Wow...that is crazy. What a horror way to go.

Forum List

Back