California will close State Parks But Fund Illegals education

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jroc, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Jroc

Jroc יעקב כהן Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,539
    :cuckoo:

Summer of Action

California bill to fund college for illegal immigrants advances | Reuters

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    JRoc, I looked for a link listing the 70 State Parks, but this page was all I could find, and the ones mentioned do not number 70, at least, I don't think so. I'll go back and see if I can make my own list from the link.

Redwood forests, beaches, coastal woodlands and some of the state's most important cultural and historic sites will be closed, and as many as 220 jobs will be eliminated as a result of the state budget cuts recently signed by Gov. Jerry Brown.

Among the popular Bay Area sites that will be closed to the public are China Camp and Samuel P. Taylor state parks, Candlestick Point State Recreation Area and Jack London State Historic Park.

California, which created its state park system in 1864, has more parks than any other state. They cover 1.5 million acres, including 280 miles of coastline and 625 miles of lake and riverfront. Only Alaska has more land, 3.2 million acres, devoted to state parks.

Not a single Southern California beach will be closed, but 40 percent of the state historic parks, including the old governor's mansion in Sacramento, will be, Goldstein said. Nine parks with significant stands of redwoods will also be off-limits, including Samuel P. Taylor, Portola Redwoods State Park, Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, Grizzly Creek Redwoods State Park and Hendy Woods State Park.

Link

If that had been a Republican Governor and not Jerry Brown, there would be trouble in paradise. One of the few pleasures average people have is the park system, and the planners of this California system back in 1868 would probably be rolling over in their graves if they knew what their effort would come to. Sad day to our fellow Americans in California.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the board, Jroc.

3. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,250
    This is pure insanity!

4. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,480
    I have mixed emotions on this.

There is the fiscal conservative in me that says government cannot continue to tax the unwilling--taxation without representation and all that--for non essentials and we simply cannot continue spend beyond our means until we can't even keep the essential things running. So, if the state cannot keep the parks open they should close them; however, the people themselves who value those parks could also start fund drives to keep them open as a private initiative. Communities do it all the time to save a school or a library or a sports complex for the youth etc.

And then there is the suspicious jaded part of me that knows the state will continue to spend money on other non essentials because it is politically correct to do so. And it chooses someting that is particularly dear to people to cut as a ploy to get get them to agree to new taxes without putting up a fuss.

If I was governor, I would list all the things the government does that it does not absolutely have to do along with the cost to do those things, publish the amount that has to be cut, and let the people pick and choose which they want to keep and which they are more willing to let go.

Okay, maybe that isn't practical, but wouldn't it be interesting to see how that would go?

5. Jroc

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,539

I think 70 was the estimate in the original proposal, but that has been trimmed down a bit. Still save 22 million then spend forty million on something the people don't.:cuckoo:

6. Jroc

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,539

Yep....My point was simply If they have to close those parks or get private financing fine, but to then spend even more money on people that are not even in the country legally? :cuckoo:

7. HenryBHough

HenryBHough Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,235
    Many of those parks are in the process of being turned over (for management/maintenance) to local groups with interests in preserving the history of their local area and also interest in the business tourists bring to their Obamaized economies. Better, those parks would be sold to local interests and run on a self-sustaining commercial business. Should that not work the sites could be cleared and sold for development. In a perfect world, sold to entities that would start job producing businesses. But we all know that doesn't fit either California's or Obama's agenda so the hope is forlorn.

8. Zona

Zona A guy in ariZONA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    "California will close State Parks But Fund Illeagals education"

I am more concerned with our education system. Perhaps you should be as well. :eusa_whistle:

9. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,933
    The Redwood Forest is the one that concerns me. That's an International treasure, considering that some of those trees stood when the Great Pyramids were being built.

10. Jroc

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,539
    Ok....So how does funding illegals at the expense of American citizens improve education genius?:eusa_whistle:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011