California wildfires

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Chris, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Poor Golden State.

I look at the tens of thousandz of square miles of heavily forested land that I live next to, and wonder what would happen if Maine had a really serious dought and multiple forest fires sparked off by multiple lightening strikes.

No way in hell we could stop them, if circumstances were just wrong enough, I think.

The East coast has been fairly lucky, so far.

We've got some real timber here which, if it got really dry like the west coast tends to get, and then it caught fire in muliple places from heat lightening or something?

I doubt mankind could stop the East Coast forests from burning for weeks without some help from God himself.

We have these Appalation forests because we basically live in a temporate rain forest.

If the rains held off long enough, the whole East Coast is nothing but fire trap for about 60,000,000 people.

3. politicsezine

politicsezine Concerned Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Every year this happens and every year I seriously wonder if someone (or multiple people) are deliberately setting some of these fires as a form of pyroterrorism... but if that was the case why only target California?

If it was serious pyroterrorists wouldn't they target all of the United States and go on a fire-lighting spree?

4. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Where I live in Va. there is a wildfire burning in the Dismal Swamp that they can't put out. They say it will take 6 inches of rain in a 24 hour period to put it out. In the 1920's a fire in the same area burned for 3 years. Some days there is so much smoke here that it looks like fog.

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Kirk,

That's horrible. And you say that a fire there lasted 3 years?

Dismal Swamp, indeed.

6. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Yes, three years. The peat is 6-12 feet deep and it burns and smolders. They have no idea when they will be able to put it out. It's like the Springfield tire fire on the Simpsons.

It give our area an "end of the world" quality to it.

7. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    From what I've heard, there's a new resiliant pine-beetle that's been taking over in the last few years. It's been killing millions and millions of trees, leaving them more vulnerable to fires. My wife and I went to Colorado for our honeymoon and it was unbelievable. I had been there about 10 years before and I looked completely different. You can look at sky lines and see just large clumps of brown trees....and they keep spreading. Many Coloradoans are really upset over it. I'm sure this could be the case in other Northwestern-mountainous states as well....I could be wrong, but it's a possibility.