California weighs legislation to ban gay teen 'conversion' therapy

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A first-of-its-kind ban on a controversial form of psychotherapy aimed at making gay people straight is speeding through the California statehouse.

Supporters say the legislation, which passed its final Senate committee Tuesday, is necessary because such treatments are ineffective and harmful.

"This therapy can be dangerous," said the bill's author Sen. Ted Lieu. The Torrance Democrat added the treatments can "cause extreme depression and guilt" that sometimes leads to suicide.

Conservative religious groups emphatically reject that view of sexual orientation therapy and say the ban would interfere with parents' rights to seek appropriate psychological care for their children.

The bill would prohibit so-called reparative therapy for minors and obligate adults seeking the treatment to sign a release form that states that the counseling is ineffectual and possibly dangerous.

Read more: California weighs legislation to ban gay teen 'conversion' therapy | Fox News

Let me start off by saying that I am certain that people (or at least boys) are born gay and that this "therapy" is probably bogus and ineffective. However...

I do not like when the government intrudes on religion, interferes with parenting, and/or BANS anything that might be deemed "ineffective". How many therapy programs don't work? Should we ban them all?

Comments?

A first-of-its-kind ban on a controversial form of psychotherapy aimed at making gay people straight is speeding through the California statehouse.

Supporters say the legislation, which passed its final Senate committee Tuesday, is necessary because such treatments are ineffective and harmful.

"This therapy can be dangerous," said the bill's author Sen. Ted Lieu. The Torrance Democrat added the treatments can "cause extreme depression and guilt" that sometimes leads to suicide.

Conservative religious groups emphatically reject that view of sexual orientation therapy and say the ban would interfere with parents' rights to seek appropriate psychological care for their children.

The bill would prohibit so-called reparative therapy for minors and obligate adults seeking the treatment to sign a release form that states that the counseling is ineffectual and possibly dangerous.

Read more: California weighs legislation to ban gay teen 'conversion' therapy | Fox News

Let me start off by saying that I am certain that people (or at least boys) are born gay and that this "therapy" is probably bogus and ineffective. However...

I do not like when the government intrudes on religion, interferes with parenting, and/or BANS anything that might be deemed "ineffective". How many therapy programs don't work? Should we ban them all?

Comments?

I agree with the part I bolded. Those "therapies" however should be banned, not because they're ineffective, but because they're abusive.

Comments?

I agree that banning this is ridiculous and bigotted. It's just another form of politically correct grandstanding.

Personally I don't care for these kinds of therapy, but then I don't care for many other stupid forms of therapy either and they aren't banned either.

chanel, would you feel the same if the gay community started trying to use therapy to turn people gay?

Comments?

I agree with the part I bolded. Those "therapies" however should be banned, not because they're ineffective, but because they're abusive.

Define "abusive". Don't we have laws that already deal with that?

What about other "controversial therapies"? To some people, it's abuse. For other parents, it's their only hope.

From what I understand, these conversion programs preach against homosexuality which is a form of adultery. If the preacher's daughter is giving blow jobs to all the boys on the football team, would it be abusive to tell her to stop? :confused: Maybe she was just born that way....

Some children, mainly because of sexual abuse, may themselves have homosexual feelings. They deserve to get help, rather than be told that they should live with and learn to enjoy the damage that has been done to them.

Probably bogus?

Not a single "survivor" says it took away their "attraction".

Some children, mainly because of sexual abuse, may themselves have homosexual feelings. They deserve to get help, rather than be told that they should live with and learn to enjoy the damage that has been done to them.

Some? Like 2 out of 20,000?

People who feel they are mentally trapped in the perversion of homosexuality should be able to access treatments to help escape that degrading lifestyle.

Rapists and child molesters can and do receive mental health help.

So why shouldn't homos be allowed the same consideration?

You think only 1 in 10,000 children are sexually abused. Why would you start having a clue about reality now?

I don't like a law that specifically targets this type of therapy, whether it's real or lies. If laws are needed to prevent specific types of abuse that are believed to go on during the course of such reversion therapy, that's fine, but simply banning it to me is overstepping.

I do believe that's true for many girls. I know a few. Not lesbians; just lost.

My son coined the term "faux-mo". There are quite a few young ladies who think it's either hip or are desperate for love and distrusting of men because some trauma. It's a temporary condition.

But for boys... I can't see too many young men "trying" it out, if they aren't 100% sure. JMHO.

You think only 1 in 10,000 children are sexually abused. Why would you start having a clue about reality now?

Abused by pedophiles, not gays.
Hey, did you ever see the FBI profile of the "typical pedophile"? It was posted on this very site a couple of years ago. Know what it said?

I do believe that's true for many girls. I know a few. Not lesbians; just lost.

Girls who were sexually abused often end up being sluts. Lesbianism seems more political than male homosexuality.

But for boys... I can't see too many young men "trying" it out, if they aren't 100% sure. JMHO.

Sexually abused boys have already experienced sexual trauma. Boys abused by men don't have to try it. They've already experienced it. Consider:

Bill Zeller, Princeton Grad Student And 'Brilliant' Programmer, Dies In Apparent Suicide

Comments?

abusive? how? which ones?

Forum List

Back