California voters should reject legalizing marijuana. DRUGS PART 1

Bullfighter

Rookie
Jun 10, 2010
Proposition 19 would make California the first state to fully legalize marijuana.
Supporters sound persuasive with talk about weakening Mexican drug cartels and helping state revenues with taxes on pot. But their arguments don't hold up.

By the Monitor's Editorial Board / October 14, 2010
California voters are considering a ballot measure that would make their state the first jurisdiction in the nation – and the world – to fully legalize marijuana.

This is not a “first” that voters should support.
Proposition 19 would legalize marijuana for recreational use for people ages 21 and older. It would also allow local governments to tax and regulate commercial production and distribution – not just retail sale, as in the Netherlands.

Proponents argue that treating pot like alcohol and tobacco will increase revenues for the cash-strapped state and decrease violence and the profits of the Mexican drug cartels. All along, supporters of legalization have maintained that pot is harmless.

Whether Californians are buying this sales pitch is unclear. A September Field poll finds that 49 percent of likely voters say they’re inclined to support Proposition 19 and legalization, while 42 percent are inclined to oppose it. A Reuters/Ipsos poll released Oct. 5 shows the opposite: 53 percent of voters are against it.

Evidence, reason, and values should dissuade people from the legalization pipe dream. Here’s a look at why the arguments of the well-funded “pro” side don’t hold up:

Read the full article here:

California voters should reject legalizing marijuana - CSMonitor.com

------------------------------------------------------

Those Latin Americans who wish to poison US children with illegal drugs are just waiting for legalization to make smoking pot seem as harmless as eating Twinkies.

Fortunately, most REAL Americans have known of the hatred Latin Americans have for the US and ignore the propaganda that is cooked up in Mexico by the agents of LA RAZA.

DTM!

What a silly man you are.

Oh I know that as a person of a somewhat liberal persuasion I'm supposed to hate you racists and fear you, too.

But somehow I just cannot bring myself to fear people whose POV is so childish.

What a silly man you are.

Oh I know that as a person of a somewhat liberal persuasion I'm supposed to hate you racists and fear you, too.

But somehow I just cannot bring myself to fear people whose POV is so childish.

The OP posted some links--care to try to refute the claims made in them or do you just prefer to go with the ad homonims ?

Proposition 19 would legalize marijuana for recreational use for people ages 21 and older. It would also allow local governments to tax and regulate commercial production and distribution – not just retail sale, as in the Netherlands.

Hopefully, the rest of the country will follow suit

Yep, the illegal pot growers and the people the sell alcohol are very much against legal pot. Imagine something that you can grow that easily in the backyard. There goes a bunch of profit.

The Fed gov has no Constitutional right to tell people what they can and can not put into themselves.

It's when they use of drugs affects others is when there will be problems.

As long as I am not forced to pony up any money to help addicts be addicts or help them get clean, I am all for legalizing all drugs.

Stopping at MJ and saying that will stop the drug wars is nieve at best.

The law is stupid on its face, all it does is fill jail cells better filled with robbers and congressmen, its application is pretty much totally based on your ability to pay to get off, it is a waste of money and resources, and is totally ineffective.

It creates crime all around it, it subverts government to criminal enterprises, (not just here but all over) and makes all rational laws suspect and disdained by the population. It makes the police the enemy of honest people.

It can't be repealed soon enough

Proposition 19 would make California the first state to fully legalize marijuana.
Supporters sound persuasive with talk about weakening Mexican drug cartels and helping state revenues with taxes on pot. But their arguments don't hold up.

California voters are considering a ballot measure that would make their state the first jurisdiction in the nation – and the world – to fully legalize marijuana.

Proponents argue that treating pot like alcohol and tobacco will increase revenues for the cash-strapped state and decrease violence and the profits of the Mexican drug cartels. All along, supporters of legalization have maintained that pot is harmless.

Whether Californians are buying this sales pitch is unclear. A September Field poll finds that 49 percent of likely voters say they’re inclined to support Proposition 19 and legalization, while 42 percent are inclined to oppose it. A Reuters/Ipsos poll released Oct. 5 shows the opposite: 53 percent of voters are against it.

Evidence, reason, and values should dissuade people from the legalization pipe dream. Here’s a look at why the arguments of the well-funded “pro” side don’t hold up:

Those Latin Americans who wish to poison US children with illegal drugs are just waiting for legalization to make smoking pot seem as harmless as eating Twinkies.

Fortunately, most REAL Americans have known of the hatred Latin Americans have for the US and ignore the propaganda that is cooked up in Mexico by the agents of LA RAZA.

DTM!

You are wrong. A majority of people are tired of wrong minded people and wrong minded policies.

But no amount of redrafting can counter the moral argument against legalization: Real joy and satisfaction are not found in a drug. You don’t advance social good by making it easier for people to get high.

This was my favorite line. The writer of the articles thinks its more important to impress upon me, and other peope who use drugs, his morals rather than for me, and others, to exercise my, our, personal freedom and choice.

DTM!

Here's a link to NORML's site the debunk the myths that this article parrots.

NORML's Marijuana Health Mythology - NORML

Of course if they do pass it and make it legal under California law it will still be illegal under federal law and in all other 49 states as well. So yeah only sweeping nation wide change will undercut the cartels.

The only people who support the fascist war on drugs are those who profit from it or have been convinced of it neccessity but those who do. (It's really a war on Americans who use non-governement approved recreational drugs).

It's facist 101 to support prohibition. By any rational analysis it's not as dangerous as beer or cigs. Fustrated conservatives (not all conservatives ie Palin is smart enough to oppose prohibition) who laughingly say they are for freedom are the clowns fighting it the hardest.

What next?? Using a 'High Times' article as 'fact'? NORML?? Are you fucking serious?? LMAO
:eusa_hand:

Feel free to attempt to debunk any of the material presented on that link.

Specifically it was to debunk the myth as presented in the original rant that pro-legal folks believe that Pot smoking is harmless.

Forum List

Back