California Voters Reject Ballot Measures to Lower Taxes

Californians passed up two chances to lower taxes, voting to keep higher gasoline taxes and reject a proposed tax break for older homeowners in moves that experts said could highlight a greater tolerance for taxes even as many state residents bemoan the high cost of living.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-voters-reject-ballot-measures-to-lower-taxes

giphy.gif

What do you have against voting, democracy and the will of the people?

The people of California are like my state. We know nothing is free and we don't get all the tax dollars we send to DC. We know that we have to make up for the red states who take our tax dollars so we pay higher taxes here in our states. We also know that all our state tax dollars stay in our states. It's not shipped off to red states who don't properly tax their people and leach off those of us who do. We benefit from those taxes.

The people of California were given the choice to speak. They spoke. They want to continue to properly fund their state.

You may think that taxes are evil and theft but those of us who know better don't want to live in a third world nation garbage hole.
We know that we have to make up for the red states who take our tax dollars so we pay higher taxes here in our states.
thats not why you pay higher taxes....

It's one of the reasons why.

We also don't expect the federal government to pay all of our roads. We pay most of the cost for our roads. Thus we don't have a bunch of private owned toll roads or roads that are full of holes and falling apart.

We don't expect the federal government to provide everything that we need.

That's what red states believe. They don't properly tax their population and business thus they take much more from the federal government than us blue states. Their state budgets are mostly dependent on federal dollars than us blue states. Most red state education systems are far below what blue states have and have much fewer high school and college graduates.

The red states are at the top of all the very bad lists and at the bottom of the good lists.

My state recently voted a very large increase in our property and vehicle taxes to pay for light rail and more public transit. We also voted to increase our phone taxes to provide 9-11 services to the rural and eastern part of my state. They don't have the tax base to pay for it so us liberals raised our own taxes to build it and pay for it. We also voted to raise our electric taxes to build a new electrical grid to handle the power generated by our very large wind farms.

New taxes can't be imposed without a vote of the people in my state. So most off the taxes in my state are by the consent and will of the people. We want a 21st century state and economy.

Which has paid off my state has the number one economy in the nation. We have the highest state minimum wage, very good paying jobs that provide proper benefits and a much higher standard of living.

We don't have a state income tax.
California doesn't take care of their roads. They have the homeless to fill in the pot holes around the cities.

th
th
upload_2019-6-22_15-22-33.jpeg

Technically they just voted not to cut taxes. They didn't vote to raise them.

The gas tax cut lost because of voter confusion: People who voted "no" thought they were voting against the previous gas tax increase.

I read there was confusion on the other item, but it would not surprise me as far as the gas tax. Seems like some of these ballot initiatives are designed to create confusion like that.

Californians passed up two chances to lower taxes, voting to keep higher gasoline taxes and reject a proposed tax break for older homeowners in moves that experts said could highlight a greater tolerance for taxes even as many state residents bemoan the high cost of living.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-voters-reject-ballot-measures-to-lower-taxes

giphy.gif

The people of California are like my state. We know nothing is free and we don't get all the tax dollars we send to DC. We know that we have to make up for the red states who take our tax dollars so we pay higher taxes here in our states. We also know that all our state tax dollars stay in our states. It's not shipped off to red states who don't properly tax their people and leach off those of us who do. We benefit from those taxes.

The people of California were given the choice to speak. They spoke. They want to continue to properly fund their state.

You may think that taxes are evil and theft but those of us who know better don't want to live in a third world nation garbage hole.

Couldn't agree with you more....if the people of California want to raise their own taxes....goody for them.....

Stay out of my pocket....

They didn't raise their taxes.

What they did was refuse to lower their taxes.

The taxes in the state of California didn't change.

California receives about 75 cents to every dollar they send to DC. They aren't in yours or anyone else's wallets.

It's red states that take as much as over 2 dollars for every 1 dollar they send to DC that are the ones with their hands in your wallet and all Californian's wallets.
Where does that money go in the red states? Since you promote the 2 for 1 spiel, lets postulate where the resources go. Lets do it.......

That is the property tax law in MI, when you buy a new home you pay 1/2 of the assessed value= taxable value.

That law should not of been changed. I agree with:
Arguments
Rep. David Chiu (D-17) said he opposed the initiative:[16]

“ It doesn’t add housing, and it is going to make it harder for cities and counties to pay for schools, infrastructure and public safety to the tune of $2 billion per year. We’re in the midst of the most intense housing crisis our state has ever experienced, and this proposal does nothing to address it.[8]
Laura Clark, executive director of YIMBY Action, criticized the measure, saying:[16]

“ We’re talking about, once again, another tax giveaway to people who are wealthy.[8]
No wonder everyone is living outside on the street in California. It is not only the Homeless that are pooping on the streets.

California Voters Reject Ballot Measures To Lower Taxes | Stanford Law School

New bill would let homeless Cuesta College students sleep in their cars on campus

well it should,it will keep the collge kids off the streets at least.

giphy.gif

We know that we have to make up for the red states who take our tax dollars so we pay higher taxes here in our states.

We also don't expect the federal government to pay all of our roads. We pay most of the cost for our roads. Thus we don't have a bunch of private owned toll roads or roads that are full of holes and falling apart.

That's what red states believe. They don't properly tax their population and business thus they take much more from the federal government than us blue states. Their state budgets are mostly dependent on federal dollars than us blue states. Most red state education systems are far below what blue states have and have much fewer high school and college graduates.

The red states are at the top of all the very bad lists and at the bottom of the good lists.

My state recently voted a very large increase in our property and vehicle taxes to pay for light rail and more public transit. We also voted to increase our phone taxes to provide 9-11 services to the rural and eastern part of my state. They don't have the tax base to pay for it so us liberals raised our own taxes to build it and pay for it. We also voted to raise our electric taxes to build a new electrical grid to handle the power generated by our very large wind farms.

New taxes can't be imposed without a vote of the people in my state. So most off the taxes in my state are by the consent and will of the people. We want a 21st century state and economy.

Which has paid off my state has the number one economy in the nation. We have the highest state minimum wage, very good paying jobs that provide proper benefits and a much higher standard of living.

are you talking about California?....

That is the property tax law in MI, when you buy a new home you pay 1/2 of the assessed value= taxable value.

That law should not of been changed. I agree with:
Arguments
Rep. David Chiu (D-17) said he opposed the initiative:[16]

“ It doesn’t add housing, and it is going to make it harder for cities and counties to pay for schools, infrastructure and public safety to the tune of $2 billion per year. We’re in the midst of the most intense housing crisis our state has ever experienced, and this proposal does nothing to address it.[8]
Laura Clark, executive director of YIMBY Action, criticized the measure, saying:[16]

“ We’re talking about, once again, another tax giveaway to people who are wealthy.[8]
No wonder everyone is living outside on the street in California. It is not only the Homeless that are pooping on the streets.

California Voters Reject Ballot Measures To Lower Taxes | Stanford Law School

New bill would let homeless Cuesta College students sleep in their cars on campus

Actually the Poop collected by hazmat workers when examined by the lab discovered most of the poop had been consumed by tourists from Texas, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia. Showing high fat, sugar and salt content mixed with typical types of road kill.

I read there was confusion on the other item, but it would not surprise me as far as the gas tax. Seems like some of these ballot initiatives are designed to create confusion like that.

That is correct. The Secretary of State and Attorney General (both Democrats) rewrote the title and description of the ballot measure in order to defeat it. State employees were also handing out negative fliers while on the job.

California government is completely corrupt from top to bottom, but voters keep reelecting the same politicians. During Gov. Brown's first 8 year stint, he canceled every highway and dam building project in the State. During his second stint, he supported $100 billion in bond measures to correct the problems he had created in the first place.

giphy.gif

No I'm not. I don't live in California.

giphy.gif

well my comment was about California and what happens in other states is not the reason why California has high taxes....

well my comment was about California and what happens in other states is not the reason why California has high taxes....

In the early 80s California passed proposition 13. It put caps on property taxes. For existing owned homes. It resets to the new sale value of the house. So that cap would be put on the new sale value of the house when the house is sold.

Property taxes are assessed on the fair market value of the property.

The reason why parts of California have high property taxes is capitalism.

Supply and demand.

There are a lot of very good jobs in those areas. People want to live there. People are being paid good wages so they can afford to pay high prices for real estate.

When houses have bidding wars it only increases the tax liability for that house.

It happened in my state too. It's been happening here since the 70s. Bidding wars are common here and it causes higher tax liabilities for the new owners.

In the early 80s California passed proposition 13. It put caps on property taxes. For existing owned homes. It resets to the new sale value of the house. So that cap would be put on the new sale value of the house when the house is sold.

Property taxes are assessed on the fair market value of the property.

The reason why parts of California have high property taxes is capitalism.

Supply and demand.

There are a lot of very good jobs in those areas. People want to live there. People are being paid good wages so they can afford to pay high prices for real estate.

When houses have bidding wars it only increases the tax liability for that house.

It happened in my state too. It's been happening here since the 70s. Bidding wars are common here and it causes higher tax liabilities for the new owners.
i lived there for 50 years,what else you got?...now why dont you try answering what i said above....

Forum List

Back