California town to lay off all city employees, disband police

"Four years ago, the department faced a political outcry when it began running checkpoints that resulted in hundreds of cars being taken away from unlicensed illegal immigrants," the Times explains. "The checkpoint sparked a political movement that brought a new council that was more sympathetic to illegal immigrants. But Maywood was back in the headlines when it declared itself a sanctuary city for illegal immigrants, making the town a target of conservative talk radio and TV news shows."

Last year, California Attorney General Jerry Brown announced that he would seek a court order to impose reforms on the Maywood Police Department, after a sixteen-month investigation had revealed "gross misconduct and widespread abuse." There have already been two police shootings since the start of 2010 that drew investigations by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

The Los Angeles Times reports that town residents blame the current problems on "years of financial abuse and corruption" by the city council. Ironically, however, the city manager, attorney, and council members are the only Maywood employees who will remain on the payroll.

"You guys had the power to change it and you didn't," City Treasurer Lizeth Sandoval told the council at Monday's meeting. "You single-handedly destroyed the city."

California town to lay off all city employees, disband police | Raw Story

Jerry Brown should be indicted as a co-conspirator in the Mexican La Reconquista

In which branch of our military services did you enlist Frank? Oh, and by the way, which university did you attend to be such an expert on politics and economics?

Have you tried Ginko Baloba for your short term memory loss? How many times do I have to tell you I never served?

Why not deal with the points I made?

According to the Los Angeles Times, "The [Insurance Authority's] action is yet another blow for the predominantly Latino city of 45,000 residents densely packed into about 1.2 square miles in the heavily industrial southeast part of Los Angeles County. Officials estimate about half the city's residents are illegal immigrants."

"Four years ago, the department faced a political outcry when it began running checkpoints that resulted in hundreds of cars being taken away from unlicensed illegal immigrants," the Times explains. "The checkpoint sparked a political movement that brought a new council that was more sympathetic to illegal immigrants. But Maywood was back in the headlines when it declared itself a sanctuary city for illegal immigrants, making the town a target of conservative talk radio and TV news shows."

And this folks is exactly what happens in sanctuary cities - they did it to themselves for voting in people into power who have one foot in their country of birth and another reluctantly in the USA.....

Cranky franky has a finance degree, and obviously kept his head deep in the finance book in order to graduate. He's woefully unread on other topics. Ralf cramden with the chickenshit community college degree.

Where does the savings come from?

Anybody who's ever worked with outsourcing knows that there is a premium charged to provide the same labor on a contract basis that you are currently providing on a hire basis.

If simply outsourcing your labor will save you money, everyone would be doing it.

Savings has to come from either reduced man hours (which means the former employees were schlocking off, which could be likely considering they're government employees) or there is some sort of price redux in benefits or something like that.

Either way, fuckum. If the private sector can do a better job, we're all better off.

Even the Maywood police department will be disbanded. Those services will be provided by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, since a proposal earlier this month to merge Mayfield's police department with that of Bell was met with angry protests by Bell residents.
It was the police department that largely got Maywood into its current financial troubles. Last month, the town was informed by the California Joint Powers Insurance Authority that it would no longer be able to obtain liability insurance, largely as a result of excessive claims filed against the police.
Wow, sounds like too much police brutality and corruption. Amazing how that can fuck up a budget.

You might want to break pattern and actually read the article before commenting

So you're saying that the police brutality cases were from beating up brown people? Interesting.

Wonderful. Kaliforniastan will now have bands of well armed, unemployed, steroid infected, Nazi's roaming the streets at night looting and pillaging.
Some call them cops.
Maybe they and the Mexican gangs can eradicate each other from the face of Earth.

Last year, California Attorney General Jerry Brown announced that he would seek a court order to impose reforms on the Maywood Police Department, after a sixteen-month investigation had revealed "gross misconduct and widespread abuse." There have already been two police shootings since the start of 2010 that drew investigations by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

The Los Angeles Times reports that town residents blame the current problems on "years of financial abuse and corruption" by the city council. Ironically, however, the city manager, attorney, and council members are the only Maywood employees who will remain on the payroll.

"You guys had the power to change it and you didn't," City Treasurer Lizeth Sandoval told the council at Monday's meeting. "You single-handedly destroyed the city."

California town to lay off all city employees, disband police | Raw Story

Jerry Brown should be indicted as a co-conspirator in the Mexican La Reconquista

In which branch of our military services did you enlist Frank? Oh, and by the way, which university did you attend to be such an expert on politics and economics?

Have you tried Ginko Baloba for your short term memory loss? How many times do I have to tell you I never served?

Why not deal with the points I made?

Points you made? If for a moment I believed you ever posted something other than a RW talking point I wouldn't hold you in such contempt. IMHO Chicken Hawks who never served are reprehensible; and those who spew the propaganda of the RW, have zero empathy and never have any evidence to support their radical ideology deserve to be confronted and exposed.

Wonderful. Kaliforniastan will now have bands of well armed, unemployed, steroid infected, Nazi's roaming the streets at night looting and pillaging.
Some call them cops.
Maybe they and the Mexican gangs can eradicate each other from the face of Earth.

And I thought topspins "contributions" to this thread made little to no sense! What the hell are you talking about Douger?

Cranky franky has a finance degree, and obviously kept his head deep in the finance book in order to graduate. He's woefully unread on other topics. Ralf cramden with the chickenshit community college degree.

Do you know what MBA even stand for?

Wow, sounds like too much police brutality and corruption. Amazing how that can fuck up a budget.

So you're saying that the police brutality cases were from beating up brown people? Interesting.

"Four years ago, the department faced a political outcry when it began running checkpoints that resulted in hundreds of cars being taken away from unlicensed illegal immigrants,"

Can you please find a nearby grown up and have them read the bold part to you?

"Four years ago, the department faced a political outcry when it began running checkpoints that resulted in hundreds of cars being taken away from unlicensed illegal immigrants,"

I'm waiting for you to explain what that has to do with the police brutality cases that have caused the city to run out of money.

rightwing junior KKK wannabee's have trouble understanding how normal people view police shootings as worse than property issues. This shit is priceless. Franky please keep your diahria coming

I'm waiting for you to explain what that has to do with the police brutality cases that have caused the city to run out of money.

It's not the "po-leece brutality" its that at one point they actually made an effort to fight back against La Reconquista, then the Progressives took control of the town...now, no more town.

rightwing junior KKK wannabee's have trouble understanding how normal people view police shootings as worse than property issues. This shit is priceless. Franky please keep your diahria coming

Am I a racist because I have things LBJ has said in my sig line? Do you want to take some aspirins and try again later?

Oh, I remember you. You're a retread.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back