California to maybe turn red!

Joke's on you, I'm directly related to the King of Sweden and am the 13th cousin of the Queen of England. My Pedigree is proven.

Sure it will.

Right after Texas turns blue ...

Do you have any reason to argue that California is normally "blue"?

The Democrats control the state because of gerrymandering, allowed by equal apportionment of senate seats which is counter-intuitive (it's like saying the US Senate should be apportioned by population like the House of Representatives).

Sure it will.

You mean other than fact that it has gone blue for the last 5 general elections or that they haven't had a Republican senator in almost 20 years?

The Democrats control the state because of gerrymandering, allowed by equal apportionment of senate seats which is counter-intuitive (it's like saying the US Senate should be apportioned by population like the House of Representatives).

So?

Sure it will.

You mean other than fact that it has gone blue for the last 5 general elections or that they haven't had a Republican senator in almost 20 years?

So?

I'm starting to think he can't possibly believe what he posts.

ah well...

Sure it will.

So?

Actually a large portion of California is RED. Now that they can not do the usual dirty trick of make red districts with the MOST allowed citizens per district and the Blue ones with the LEAST allowed citizens, they will not be redrawing the lines every few years to suit them. Only when Population demands it.

But both Parties play that game. It is how each party maintains such a long time lock on a State they already control. I doubt the US Senator situation will change as that is by State Wide Vote. But it could change the STATE Government in a few years. And lead to a change in the Federal Representative situation as well.

Not for a while though if at all.

By the way up until the 90's Democrats were Red and Republicans were Blue.

It's possible for any state to change colors but Cali is a big state that has been blue for quite sometime.

Redistricting was a strategy used in Texas by Tom Delay, it's weak and fleeting. I wouldn't count on it becoming anything measurable for Repubs in Cali. Keep the dream alive though, it should help you when you desperately try to argue that the Republican party isn't totally screwed.

It's possible for any state to change colors but Cali is a big state that has been blue for quite sometime.

Redistricting was a strategy used in Texas by Tom Delay, it's weak and fleeting. I wouldn't count on it becoming anything measurable for Repubs in Cali. Keep the dream alive though, it should help you when you desperately try to argue that the Republican party isn't totally screwed.

Dumb ASS it is used by BOTH Parties ALL the time. Every 10 years the Party that controls the State Legislature plays the Gerrymander game in EVERY State.In North Carolina the Democrats got hammered over and over for the extra US House district we got. They Gerrymandered it to make it predominately black the problem was to do it they ran a narrow corridor for like 90 miles alone a Major Highway. Cutting through numerous Counties and creating a snake like district.

I guess they forgot to read the State Laws and Constitution, it is required that all districts be maintained in whole Counties FIRST and that a county only be split if there is no other way to meet the population requirement. The Federal Courts made them change it like 4 times cause they kept trying to keep it the way it was and would make little changes and resubmit them to the Court.

By the way? That was DEMOCRATS. The other tactic they pull here is to try and give the Republican districts the most allowed people while trying to give democrats the least in a district and making interesting districts in cities where Population allows the splitting of Counties.

Dumb ASS it is used by BOTH Parties ALL the time. Every 10 years the Party that controls the State Legislature plays the Gerrymander game in EVERY State.In North Carolina the Democrats got hammered over and over for the extra US House district we got. They Gerrymandered it to make it predominately black the problem was to do it they ran a narrow corridor for like 90 miles alone a Major Highway. Cutting through numerous Counties and creating a snake like district.

I guess they forgot to read the State Laws and Constitution, it is required that all districts be maintained in whole Counties FIRST and that a county only be split if there is no other way to meet the population requirement. The Federal Courts made them change it like 4 times cause they kept trying to keep it the way it was and would make little changes and resubmit them to the Court.

By the way? That was DEMOCRATS. The other tactic they pull here is to try and give the Republican districts the most allowed people while trying to give democrats the least in a district and making interesting districts in cities where Population allows the splitting of Counties.

Not as frequently as Tom Delay did, and he was the one who had the big idea to redistrict in mid decade.. Fat ASS. :lol:

It strengthened Texas for the Republicans back in 2005 but it shouldn't be used as campaign strategy, it's weak but since it was effective back then and the scotus decision was for Delay, yeah, both sides try to work it.

Democrats are in the majority now and it had little to do with them using redistricting as a strategy. That was Delay's claim to fame. Not that I would brag about it if I were a Republican.

The idea that Calif might turn red is silly. It's based on the same kind of analysis that most of America was red in 2000. Just because a large land area is Repub leaning is not a reflection of the number of people.

The 2000 map showed a large swath in the middle of the country that was red. Of course the total population that voted for Bush was actually less that what voted for Gore.

The same is true for Calif. The large Central Valley is relatively sparsly populated and leans Repub. The rest of the state where 90% of the people live is solidly Dem except for isolated pockets in areas like Orange County and Simi Valley.

Do you PAY someone to make you dumber every time you post? You may want to ACTUALLY investigate your IGNORANT claims. Try North Carolina can't remember right now if it was the redrawn 12th District of it is was the new 13th District. Then check other States, including your beloved Democratic ones. You will find that EVERYONE does it you RETARD. Ohh and last I checked, US Congress people, be they Representatives or Senators have NO say at all in HOW an individual State draws its voting districts, that is controlled solely through the State Legislature. With Federal Court involvement if the districts are shown to violate US Federal laws.

Do you PAY someone to make you dumber every time you post? You may want to ACTUALLY investigate your IGNORANT claims. Try North Carolina can't remember right now if it was the redrawn 12th District of it is was the new 13th District. Then check other States, including your beloved Democratic ones. You will find that EVERYONE does it you RETARD. Ohh and last I checked, US Congress people, be they Representatives or Senators have NO say at all in HOW an individual State draws its voting districts, that is controlled solely through the State Legislature. With Federal Court involvement if the districts are shown to violate US Federal laws.

You didn't even quote the correct post and every other word in your lame response is a personal attack... Can you say anger management?

Try reading what I posted and then attempt to calm yourself.

SCOTUS Reviews Texas Tom-Foolery

The New York Times and Washington Post lead with the Supreme Court agreeing to review the Texas redistricting pushed by Rep. Tom DeLay that resulted in Democrats losing a handful of congressional seats.

The DeLay-inspired remapping was a "highly unusual mid-decade" effort and came only two years after the usually once-a-decade census-driven redrawing. After the GOP-led redistricting, Texas' congressional delegation went from 17 Republicans and 15 Democrats to 21 Republicans and 11 Democrats.

SCOTUS Reviews Texas Tom-Foolery - By Eric Umansky - Slate Magazine

The Republican in question did a couple of things that were suspect. This was NOT a normal once in a 10 year census redistricting, it was mid decade and politically motivated, pushed by House Republican Tom Delay.

So?

Actually a large portion of California is RED. Now that they can not do the usual dirty trick of make red districts with the MOST allowed citizens per district and the Blue ones with the LEAST allowed citizens, they will not be redrawing the lines every few years to suit them. Only when Population demands it.

But both Parties play that game. It is how each party maintains such a long time lock on a State they already control. I doubt the US Senator situation will change as that is by State Wide Vote. But it could change the STATE Government in a few years. And lead to a change in the Federal Representative situation as well.

Not for a while though if at all.

By the way up until the 90's Democrats were Red and Republicans were Blue.

That was what I was getting at. When I hear "Red" and "Blue" state I immediately link that with general elections.

I was born and raised in CA.

It's getting more and more liberal from my childhood days of 40 years ago.

If it does turn red, it won't be anytime soon. Besides, the presidential election is decided by the electoral college, which is decided by popularity in each state.

California's citizens, no matter how you divide them, are mostly Democrats.

It might change Congress a bit, but not presidential races.

San Diego is blue now, by the way.

i remember the dems being screwed post carter...then post clinton.....then post gore....then post kerry.....it is the dems turn in the sun......enjoy your moment and don't overplay your hand......

Sure it will.

Personally--I really don't think California will ever be considered a conservative or red state. You have way too many illegals--that have been robbing the state coffers. Mexican Americans--which are the majority in that state right now, are going to remain sympathic to these people They like that money--& are not going to give it up. You have politicians through-out Califormia that promise them the "free" handouts. Therefore, they will continually vote a liberal ticket--so you--the tax paying citizen of California can pay the bill on it.

It's sad--but this country is not too far behind California. We have millions in this country that like the idea of wealth re-distribution--that's how Obama got elected. Promises of taking from someone else to give to the "less" fortunate.

The last time California voted for a republican was Ronald Reagan--& that was only because he was the former govenor of that state.

I don't expect to ever see that again out of California.

Forum List

Back