California Supreme Court Decides that Voters Aren't Smart Enough to Make Big Decisions

mikegriffith1

Mike Griffith
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 23, 2012
Virginia
Two days ago the California supreme court decided that California voters should not be allowed to vote on the ballot measure that would split the state into three states ("Cal3"). They argued that this would require a change in the state constitution and that this can only be done by the legislature. Gee, the state constitution hasn't prevented the state supreme court from allowing sanctuary cities or allowing illegals to vote in local elections. But now the court decides on a rigidly narrow reading of the state constitution.

California politicians were shocked when the Cal3 petition gained enough signatures to put the measure on the ballot. And, the measure was steadily picking up support in the polls. I suspect that's why the CA supreme court stepped in.

California Supreme Court blocks proposal to split state in 3 from November ballot
Cal 3 - Three Californias - Frequently Asked Questions
"CAL 3" Initiative to Partition California Reaches Unprecedented Milestone
Cal 3 - Northern California - California - Southern California

Well, considering that according to the Constitution, you can only make a state out of another state if certain procedures are followed.

List of U.S. state partition proposals - Wikipedia

Since the establishment of the United States in 1776, numerous state partition proposals have been put forward that would partition an existing state (or states) in order that a particular region within might either join another state, or create a new state. Article IV, Section 3, Clause 1 of the United States Constitution, oftentimes called the New States Clause, grants to the United States Congress the authority to admit new states into the United States beyond the thirteen already in existence at the time the Constitution went into effect (June 21, 1788, after ratification by nine of the thirteen states).[1] It also includes a stipulation originally designed to give Eastern states that still had Western land claims (then including Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia) a veto over whether their western counties could become states.[2]

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.[3]

The clause has served this same function since then whenever a proposal to partition an existing state or states has come before Congress. New breakaway states are permitted to join the Union, but only with the proper consents.[4] Of the 37 states admitted to the Union by Congress, three were set off from an already existing state:

Well, considering that according to the Constitution, you can only make a state out of another state if certain procedures are followed.

List of U.S. state partition proposals - Wikipedia

Since the establishment of the United States in 1776, numerous state partition proposals have been put forward that would partition an existing state (or states) in order that a particular region within might either join another state, or create a new state. Article IV, Section 3, Clause 1 of the United States Constitution, oftentimes called the New States Clause, grants to the United States Congress the authority to admit new states into the United States beyond the thirteen already in existence at the time the Constitution went into effect (June 21, 1788, after ratification by nine of the thirteen states).[1] It also includes a stipulation originally designed to give Eastern states that still had Western land claims (then including Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia) a veto over whether their western counties could become states.[2]

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.[3]

The clause has served this same function since then whenever a proposal to partition an existing state or states has come before Congress. New breakaway states are permitted to join the Union, but only with the proper consents.[4] Of the 37 states admitted to the Union by Congress, three were set off from an already existing state:

Uh, everyone understood that Congress would have to give final approval. Both sides acknowledged this.

Thread reminds me of a great quote. Heh heh.

"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L. Mencken.

"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron" - H.L. Mencken.

Looks like that great and glorious day has already arrived.

It wasn't going to happen.
Establishment would never allow creation of 4 more senate seats, diluting the power of the present clique.
Better, in the aftermath of the looming civil war, for California to break away and join up as a subject state of Mexico. Hell, it's about 1/2 Mexican citizens already....

If I could vote in California the way illegals can I would vote to get out of the union!

Two days ago the California supreme court decided that California voters should not be allowed to vote on the ballot measure that would split the state into three states ("Cal3"). They argued that this would require a change in the state constitution and that this can only be done by the legislature. Gee, the state constitution hasn't prevented the state supreme court from allowing sanctuary cities or allowing illegals to vote in local elections. But now the court decides on a rigidly narrow reading of the state constitution.

California politicians were shocked when the Cal3 petition gained enough signatures to put the measure on the ballot. And, the measure was steadily picking up support in the polls. I suspect that's why the CA supreme court stepped in.

California Supreme Court blocks proposal to split state in 3 from November ballot
Just right wing meddling, anyway. Upset California has the largest economy in the Union.

Just right wing meddling, anyway. Upset California has the largest economy in the Union.
They can go and take it with them. We pull our military out and leave them to it!

The pawns should be able to control themselves?

Who are we kidding?

The People are not competent to decide matters of Great Import?

No.

travel_112410~0.jpg

If you are an American and you truly believe this, then you are an Enemy of The People and the Republic.

Heh heh. Tread lightly, dear patriot. I'd sure hate for you to forever be known as Kondor, the rabid statist. It doesn't have to be that way. I've no interest in doing it to you. But I will if you keep popping off like that in my direction. One time I'll let you pop off like that. Once. K?

True. Good thing obama is no longer in the white house. It is again the white house. It used to be the white hut.

True. Good thing obama is no longer in the white house. It is again the white house. It used to be the white hut.

We haven't had a good President since Grover Clevelend. That's just my opinion, however. People are certainly free to disagree.

I won't speak on the white hut bit. That reads like stormfront spew.

Forum List

Back