California Steals from 9/11 fund..

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
Remember -- govt is the ONLY real source of honesty, integrity, compassion, and empathy.

AP Exclusive: California 9/11 license plate fund raided for deficits - ContraCostaTimes.com

After the 2001 terrorist attacks, California lawmakers sought a way to channel the patriotic
fervor and use it to help victims' families and law enforcement. Their answer: Specialty
memorial license plates emblazoned with the words, "We Will Never Forget."
Part of the money raised through the sale of the plates was to fund scholarships for children of California residents who perished in the attacks, while the majority - 85 percent - was to help fund anti-terrorism efforts.

But a review by The Associated Press of the $15 million collected since lawmakers approved the "California Memorial Scholarship Program" shows only a small fraction of the money went to scholarships. While 40 percent has funded anti-terror training programs, $3 million was raided by Gov. Jerry Brown and his predecessor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, to plug the state's budget deficit.

they did it with tobacco settlement dollars by adding it to general funds, and the lottery that was ostensibly labeled to help fund education at a higher level of dollar, has actually worked against itself, they increase payouts while funds drop to the schools.

It's kinda desperate sounding. Like raiding your kid's piggy bank. Literally.. Probably paid for the interest on the High Speeed Rail bonds for a month..

So there's a history of petty theft I guess..

Speaking of which -- I can't believe $6B is about to wasted and parceled out to stakeholders for nothing.

I'm so much more relaxed since I left in 2005. Our lottery actually credits money TO ME PERSONALLY for my daughter's tuition.. Like that could ever happen in Cali....

Forum List

Back