California Scientist Names Fungus After President Obama

It is?
You learn something every day. I thought it was different.

Here's what I found on wiki, that bastion of scientific knowledge:

A fungus (pronounced /ˈfʌŋɡəs/) is a eukaryotic organism that is a member of the kingdom Fungi (pronounced /ˈfʌndʒaɪ/ or /ˈfʌŋɡaɪ/).[2] The fungi are a monophyletic group, also called the Eumycota ("true fungi" or eumycetes), that is phylogenetically distinct from the morphologically similar slime molds (myxomycetes) and water molds (oomycetes).
Fungus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But thefreedictionary says this:
mold 2 (mld)
n.
1. Any of various fungi that often cause disintegration of organic matter.
2. The growth of such fungi.

Go figure.

There are distinctions between the two, however scientifically molds are of the fungi family, so therefore are a fungus. There are a lot of fungi that don't fit the mushroom archetype.

what is the most expensive fungi on the planet?

I think it's truffles ... but don't really know, that's just a guess.

i think that's right.. they send pigs out to root them up..and then there's a special coffee that some animal eats and poops out the bean and they charge a gazillion bucks for a cup... people are crazy,,

Thus the reason Starbucks is so popular!

Paying 5 buck for a cup of coffee that would cost you 25 cents to make at home! :cuckoo:

Here you guys, you don't need to understand German to understand what they are saying. Watch it...LOL

casu marzu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyL9Pn8kMZc"]YouTube - casu marzu[/ame]

The animation is cute, the soda bottles in the water...um and I bet some arm hairs are in it along with the other stuff. A must watch video for all.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back