California: Red Light Camera Class Action Lawsuit Hits Federal Court

I always wondered what happens when you make a left on red?

You wait in the intersection with your left turn signal on waiting for a break in traffic. Traffic keeps coming while the light is green and you don't get a break until the light turns red.

Will you get an automatic ticket?

You wait in the intersection with your left turn signal on waiting for a break in traffic. Traffic keeps coming while the light is green and you don't get a break until the light turns red.

Legally, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be waiting in the intersection.

The Cameras in NYC usually show two shots, one right before the light changes, and one after. To get a ticket you have to be seen NOT in the intersection prior to the red, and then IN the intersection during a red. Thus people in the intersection prior to the switch are identified, and not sent a ticket.

Springfield, MO dismantled their red light cameras:

Missouri Supreme Court invalidates Springfield red-light ticket

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 | 6:43 p.m. CST; updated 9:11 a.m. CST, Wednesday, March 3, 2010
BY DAVID A. LIEB/The Associated Press

JEFFERSON CITY — Missouri's third-largest city suspended the use of red-light traffic cameras Tuesday after the state Supreme Court struck down its process for handling the tickets.

In a unanimous decision Tuesday, the high court said that violations of municipal ordinances, such as running a red light, cannot be handled through administrative hearings but instead must be heard in a court.

You should go to AZ where they have cameras all over the place including portable speeding cameras. Driving to Phoenix last summer I counted more than 10 between the border and the city.

You should go to AZ where they have cameras all over the place including portable speeding cameras. Driving to Phoenix last summer I counted more than 10 between the border and the city.

I thought they ended up taking those down because of the public outcry.

Red light camera tickets aren't enforcable. I got a red light ticket in Maryland in the summer when I stopped to eat on my way driving to Boston. I got a speeding ticket by a camera in Cleveland last year. I have never paid either one and they even say in the letter they send you that you don't accumulate points on your license. The worst they can try and do is send it to a collection's agency.

Red light camera tickets aren't enforcable. I got a red light ticket in Maryland in the summer when I stopped to eat on my way driving to Boston. I got a speeding ticket by a camera in Cleveland last year. I have never paid either one and they even say in the letter they send you that you don't accumulate points on your license. The worst they can try and do is send it to a collection's agency.

It is not enforceable against the driver because they don't know who was driving. Doesn't mean it is not enforceable against the owner of the car. They can hit you when you try to register or sell the car

It is not enforceable against the driver because they don't know who was driving. Doesn't mean it is not enforceable against the owner of the car. They can hit you when you try to register or sell the car

And that's where camera enforcement falls down.

The state shouldn't give me a ticket for actions that are out of my control.

If you cannot prove it was me, I shouldn't be forced to pay a ticket.

I thought they ended up taking those down because of the public outcry.

Well, they were all over the place last June....about 4 months ago.

I heard they put them on your credit report if you don't pay them

The radio tells you were they all are... which tells you were they're not.

I don't see the point.

I've heard that too, but it must take a while because I am in the process of buying a second house and my credit score is just slightly under 800, which is excellent.

I've heard that too, but it must take a while because I am in the process of buying a second house and my credit score is just slightly under 800, which is excellent.

Maybe just the Gov't lying to get one to pay.

Oncoming traffic is supposed to give you your break when the light turns yellow, not red.

But - if you enter the intersection on yellow, it doesn't matter what happens thereafter, you are legal.

And that's where camera enforcement falls down.

The state shouldn't give me a ticket for actions that are out of my control.

If you cannot prove it was me, I shouldn't be forced to pay a ticket.

The legal objection to camera tickets has to do with a lack of personal jurisdiction over the person being charged. Before a court can issue a warrant for failure to appear, the court must have personal jurisdiction over the defendant. In a normal traffic ticket situation, the court gets that when the driver signs a promise to appear. He has been personally notified of the date he is to appear in court and has signed for it. Personal jurisdiction attaches.

In a camera ticket, the person is notified by mail of his court date. Personal jurisdiction does not attach by a mere letter in the mail. What if someone stole the notification from the mail box, or another household member tossed it before the person saw it or it flat never got there?

Somehow, the courts have carved an exception to the personal jurisdiction requirement into camera tickets. It stinks.

Forum List

Back