California Punts Energy Politics In The Butt To Solve A Crisis. Greece? You listening?

How long do you think it will be before this thread is disappeared into a dungeon forum?

• 5 minutes

• 5 hours

• 5 days

• 5 weeks

• I'm new here, what does it mean to shove a thread in a "dungeon"?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
Alternate title for this thread is "How Long Will This Political Thread Last In "Politics" Before It's Shoved Into A Dungeon Forum"

For a background on California's water crisis and its origins: Possible Causes and Solutions to the California Drought US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

It's been a long time coming but...eventually a kid burning ants with a magnifying glass had to become a technology.. (ie: they've known about it forever but BigOil simply cannot compete economically with free fuel forever...so it had to be "too expensive, ludicrous....etc. etc.")

Reverse Osmosis is a joke and my money is on that some oil company convinced California politicians that "you need to burn a lot of oil to turn seawater into fresh water by using high pressure through tiny filters". Or, you could just load a receptacle with seawater, boil it and extract the condensed steam as fresh water. It's called "distilled water"... you may have seen it for sale at your grocery store. Using just mirrors and the sun. No oil.

California's First Commercial Solar Desalination Plant to Bring Freshwater to the Central Valley July 15, 2015
.."Using a sustainable source of energy to recycle or desalinate water will become a mainstay in regions with water scarcity," added Mandell....The new plant will be built on 35 acres of land currently farmed with salt-tolerant crops, with the potential of growing to a 70-acre site. This land that will house the solar desalination facility is a small fraction of the total 6,000 acres currently used to manage and reuse irrigation drainage water for the Panoche Water California s First Commercial Solar Desalination Plant to Bring Freshwater to the Central Valley Reuters
New%20hydro%20desalination%20plant%20in%20CA_zps3i2jy4ef.jpg

:clap2:
Wow those simple sheet metal parabolic mirrors look HORRIBLY complicated to set up shining at that centrally-located tube just feet away from the concave concentrating line along the array! Such TRICKY AND EXPENSIVE technology to shine a magnifying reflector at a pipe and run 300 degree c high temp fluid to heat exchangers to run a steam turbine too! (I wonder if they can figure out to use the same hot water that way?? Or oil that can be superheated?)

Good for you California! You figured out that sunshine is free and makes things really really hot if you use a magnifying glass. No mining, no fuel, no refining, no pollution, no waste...just free fresh water (& heat to drive steam turbines) every single day the sun shines.. Using the proper fluid in the tube instead of water, this extremely simple, cheap and efficient design can rapidly heat up to 300 degrees celsius, go through heat exchangers and run the same type of steam turbines that nuclear, coal, oil and other fossil fuels heat up to run. Exactly the same end technology to produce electricity, only the fuel is free forever.

Now if we can just convince Greece that their sunshine behaves exactly like California's does..they might pull themselves out of an economic slump! Germany hates nuclear, and well they should. France should hate nuclear. Greece sells power to both and pulls herself out of a slump using what she has and they don't: Sunshine (and geothermal volcanic heat underground)..

Here's how you make electricity using the exact same cheap technology:

As a friend of mine recently put it, "Greece is the sweaty nut-sack of Europe. So why aren't they taking advantage of that?".. :lmao: Well put my friend....well put!

Last edited:
Do you have a link for the Dungeon forum? I have not seen it, Silhouette.
Any of the forums that get a fraction of the "hits" "views" or "visits" that this one or the current events forum does.

Take your pick. It's been more than 5 minutes. It has exceeded my expectations.

All that heat and nobody could figure out what to do about it..lol...

My fantasy is to use this type of extremely cheap desalination and energy production to inundate margin arid areas to reforest them with drought tolerant species. Thereby inducing an evaporative climate change for the better. We could reclaim quite a bit more area of this drying planet that way. Put those Peace Corps. kids to work with seedling trees in their backpacks.

Do you have a link for the Dungeon forum? I have not seen it, Silhouette.
Any of the forums that get a fraction of the "hits" "views" or "visits" that this one or the current events forum does.

Take your pick. It's been more than 5 minutes. It has exceeded my expectations.
It is the thread title, and the quality of the thread's contents, that garner "hits/views/visits".

And this one has both strikes against it. :slap:

Desalination plants will destroy the planet. This is beyond retarded.
Yes because salt and water are such terrible elements. Let's talk about uranium mining and plutonium waste from nuclear industry? Or maybe how fracking is destroying the underlying shale-pan strata that act like pond-liners for our last aquifers we rely on for drinking and agriculture.?

Sure, the ice caps are melting at record rates, introducing tons of fresh water into the sea. The normal hydraulic cycle distills water from the sea anyway to form clouds that drops all the fresh water on the land that then eventually runs back to the sea...and somehow all this is "beyond retarded" while nuclear and carbon is "perfectly sane"...

yer kinda funny.

FAIL. It's another case of "engineered to fail"...even at the expense of an entire nation's economy and the ultimate demise of our allies in Europe as they struggle to cope. Oh, BigOil, is there no low you won't stoop to? Hey, aren't the arabs largely behind BigOil in this region? And a destablized ally bloc of the US might...hey!...wait a minute!!

Anyone vaguely interested in international news is probably aware of Greece’s economic crisis. But despite that, or perhaps because of that, the country’s Energy Minister has big plans for solar power...The project in question is called Helios and it would see the installation of 10 GW worth of solar panels in the country. Greece Looks To Solar Power To Boost Economy - CleanTechies

Photovoltaic solar panels? This is their "big horse"? The steam turbine is the money maker, not some anemic bank of wishy-washing brittle, often failing, often needing replacing photovolatic panels! Poor Greece. Sitting atop a huge geothermal resource and pelted with solar radiation all the time and she chooses photovoltaics instead of concentrated solar thermal or geothermal steam.... :banghead:

...engineered to fail... :cool-45:

It is the thread title, and the quality of the thread's contents, that garner "hits/views/visits".

Sure, because California employing a technology of free energy and free fuel forever to create endless fresh water for itself isn't an interesting subject..

...nor I suppose is the topic that that technology can, without a single drop of carbon or any other fuel also produce electricity for industrial and domestic use. Yeah, a big yawn there as we race to stop a warming planet from chaos.

Sure, because California employing a technology of free energy and free fuel forever to create endless fresh water for itself isn't an interesting subject..

...nor I suppose is the topic that that technology can, without a single drop of carbon or any other fuel also produce electricity for industrial and domestic use. Yeah, a big yawn there as we race to stop a warming planet from chaos.

You keep using the word "free" its not free. How much did this thing cost, what's its expected lifespan, what are the maintenance costs, how much will it cost to dispose of the toxic sludge?

You keep using the word "free" its not free. How much did this thing cost, what's its expected lifespan, what are the maintenance costs, how much will it cost to dispose of the toxic sludge?
Less than it costs to set up/lifespan of components of oil wells, a refinery, transportation, the fuel itself being burned, the damage to the atmosphere and the waste mitigation from all of that. Less than that. That's how much it costs. Even if all things were equal, which they aren't, thereafter a plant is set up, the fuel is free.

Desalination plants will destroy the planet. This is beyond retarded.
Maybe I was being a bit unfair to you. Just explain how desalination plants will destroy the planet in more depth? Not just a general statement like that.

Please describe how using parabolic sheet metal, bent concave in trough form that concentrates the solar radiation and focuses it on a pipe filled with water that is brought quickly to boiling; which is then merely distilled, like Kentucky moonshiners have been doing for centuries now, is going to "destroy the planet"??

Free energy. Sunshine to boil water to run turbines. It is free. Forever. And it doesn't pollute or create environmental disasters. It is the cheapest form of producing energy we know of....besides maybe geothermal.

Free energy. Sunshine to boil water to run turbines. It is free. Forever. And it doesn't pollute or create environmental disasters. It is the cheapest form of producing energy we know of....besides maybe geothermal.

You are a moron, please refrain from voting or operating machinery. You probably think the batteries in electric cars are green too, that would be typical of your ilk.

You are a moron, please refrain from voting or operating machinery. You probably think the batteries in electric cars are green too, that would be typical of your ilk.
No, I don't think batteries are green. They are very toxic and hazardous to create and dispose of. But sunshine beating down on concave mirrors who then merely focus it onto a pipe filled with water, that turns it to steam, that then runs a turbine, that then produces electricity like all other carbon and nuclear plants do, is not toxic. It's some sheet metal, rivets, pipes and a steam turbine. The sunshine of course is free.

No, I don't think batteries are green. They are very toxic and hazardous to create and dispose of. But sunshine beating down on concave mirrors who then merely focus it onto a pipe filled with water, that turns it to steam, that then runs a turbine, that then produces electricity like all other carbon and nuclear plants do, is not toxic. It's some sheet metal, rivets, pipes and a steam turbine. The sunshine of course is free.

Arrgh!! Do you know how mirrors are manufactured? Or steel or coatings or any of the many materials, chemicals, and manufacturing processes involved here? No I didn't think so.

Arrgh!! Do you know how mirrors are manufactured? Or steel or coatings or any of the many materials, chemicals, and manufacturing processes involved here? No I didn't think so.

So, you're saying cars and all other things made with steel that have a mirrored surface shouldn't exist? Keep reaching pal. Your argument is done for... :popcorn: Your fuel requires steel manufacturing too. Sunshine is free and requires no mining, solvents, transportation, steel or other things...all other things equal. Ever seen the inside of a coal or oil power plant? I think there's some steel and mirrored surfaces in there too.
:rolleyes-41:

So, you're saying cars and all other things made with steel that have a mirrored surface shouldn't exist? Keep reaching pal. Your argument is done for... :popcorn: Your fuel requires steel manufacturing too. Sunshine is free and requires no mining, solvents, transportation, steel or other things...all other things equal. Ever seen the inside of a coal or oil power plant? I think there's some steel and mirrored surfaces in there too.
:rolleyes-41:

I called you out as a moron and now you are moving the goal posts, got it. And do you know where steel comes from good lord, hint its mined.

Forum List

Back