California Parents Pull the "Trigger"

Discussion in 'Education' started by IGetItAlready, Jul 29, 2012.

1. IGetItAlready

IGetItAlready BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Desert Trails Elementary School in California went down last week as the very first school to have its entire staff fired by parents who want more for their kids.

Judge upholds Desert Trails' 'Parent Trigger' petition

70% of the students at this school were failing in reading and math and yet these parents were forced to fight like hell against the school board, the teachers unions and even documented attempts to forge ballots in an attempt to overturn their desire to "pull the trigger".

I don't know a single person involved in this case but I couldn't be happier or more excited for the affected families. THIS is what self governance is all about and my hat goes off to the parents and even a few teachers who stood up to "big education" in order to provide the children of this community, in the words of our fearless leader, "a fair shot".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,672
    :clap2::clap2:

Hooray for the parents! Parents should be standing up for what;s right all over the nation! We should be riling against failing schools! Let's hope this is just a beginning!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. squeeze berry

squeeze berry Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    what happens if the results are worse than before?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Do the same thing again. And again and again until there is progress made.

What, you'd rather give up? :confused:

5. IGetItAlready

IGetItAlready BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Great question Berry. The simple answer of course is the process continues until educators are found for the district who perform well.

Put yourself in the position of an educator. Are you going to accept a position in a district who just canned their entire staff and not be committed to proving your worth and teaching your students thereby keeping your job?

Competition works and the reason our public schools do not is because failure has been so protected. It's stunning really, in this one CRITICAL field we pump an incessantly increasing amount of federal funding and get continuously declining results.
    Then you get educational heroes like Michelle Rhee forced to resign after dumping hundreds of failed teachers despite the clearly stellar results her approach to education in DC had.

I've heard some say that Katrina was the best thing to happen to the New Orleans school system in that its destruction left few options aside from charter schools. Their current performance speaks for itself.

We've tried pampering teachers, we've thrown so much money at the problem it's astounding yet the one approach that works so well in just about ever other field, that of competition is seen as a third rail.

Meanwhile, many of our kids are clearly NOT getting their "fair shot".

6. squeeze berry

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    I am in the position of a teacher, and I've never felt pampered. In fact, I feel I'm getting too much blame.

Why would i want to work for a school district that fired all the teachers? All of them are bad?

7. squeeze berry

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    that would tell me it's not the fault of the teachers

8. IGetItAlready

IGetItAlready BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +153
    What other options do concerned parents have? We can't rate a teacher's performance without 101 excuses as to why their piss poor results are not their problem. We can't single out the poor performers without the unions and their attorneys breaking the concerned.

You should check out the story as there were even teachers from that very district on board with the parents.

I'm guessing those at least willing to admit the failures and support a change will likely be among those whose performance will warrant their being rehired.

9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,781
    I'm with you on this one, bro.

Educrats, the bunch in charge, bureaurocrats, politicians, all deserve more blame than those in the classroom.

10. squeeze berry

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    maybe the students are not that bright?