California or Texas?

I voted CA. Even though I have an exaggerated fear of earthquakes, I have to be near an ocean.

I find it ironic the colors this poll is in.

Besides, California hasn't been Liberal for very long.

California Presidential Election Voting History

In fact, in the last ten election it has been split 5 for Republicans and 5 for Democrats with each having a streak of 5.

http://www.270towin.com/states/Texas

Texas on the other hand didn't even vote Republican for the first time until 1928 and then again not until 1952/1956.

Then it has voted Republican since 1980.

So who knows what might be Democrat or Republican another 20-30 years down the road.

I find it ironic the colors this poll is in.

Besides, California hasn't been Liberal for very long.

California Presidential Election Voting History

In fact, in the last ten election it has been split 5 for Republicans and 5 for Democrats with each having a streak of 5.

Texas Presidential Election Voting History

Texas on the other hand didn't even vote Republican for the first time until 1928 and then again not until 1952/1956.

Then it has voted Republican since 1980.

So who knows what might be Democrat or Republican another 20-30 years down the road.

So is it your contention that California is not a blue state or that Texas is not a red state?

These are the two that, for me at least, spring to mind first.

Massachusetts is the only state I can think of that is more liberal than California.

I didn't use it because it would be tough to find a red state to compare it to.

Edit: What two states do you think would be a better comparison?

Last edited:
So is it your contention that California is not a blue state or that Texas is not a red state?

Massachusetts is the only state I can think of that is more liberal than California.

Edit: What two states do you think would be a better comparison?

My contention that no state is neither red or blue. If you have an influx of people moving to a new state or political parties switch their viewpoints on certain ideas then it all changes very quickly.

For a state to be red or blue in my mind, it always has to vote Republican or Democrat on everything.

A great example: Rhode Island voted for Obama, has all Democrats in their senate and house but we have a Republican Governor (who by the way is a major fuckup). My city also has a newly elected Republican Mayor.

So it's more political viewpoints and what that candidate offers more then anything.

And why is Massachusetts a more Liberal state? Because of Gay Marriage?

Last edited:

Maryland is Massachusetts' brother in arms.

Back to the question though. I've lived in Cali. I just found it weird. I could never get comfortable. If you're from the east and need to be near an ocean, it just isn't the same in Cali. I didn't find the earthquakes to be too bad. We had a couple in the mid-4s while I was there. I'm sure I'd have a different opinion after a 6+.

So, I'd take Texas. I get the Gulf. I'd probably like at least some of the state policies. Of course, the biggest reason is, they aren't about to repossess Texas like they the bankrupt state that is Cali.

Robert, if I read you correctly, you said that a state has to vote one way or the other to be considered red or blue, and as an example you gave Rhode Island, which mixed their votes? -confused in michigan

Robert, if I read you correctly, you said that a state has to vote one way or the other to be considered red or blue, and as an example you gave Rhode Island, which mixed their votes? -confused in michigan

No, I was stating that no state as far as my knowledge goes votes completely red or blue. I offered Rhode Island as a example because we tend to vote Democrat but not always. So therefore, it's not a blue state.

And why is Massachusetts a more Liberal state? Because of Gay Marriage?

From Wikipedia

Massachusetts is the home of the Kennedy family, and routinely votes for the Democratic Party in federal elections: it is the most populous state to have an all-Democratic Congressional delegation (ten representatives and two senators); this also makes Massachusetts the largest state to have a solid delegation of either party. As of the 2006 election, the Republican party holds less than 13% of the seats in both legislative houses of the General Court: in the House, the balance is 141 Democratic to 19 Republican, and in the Senate, 35–5.[50]

If I had to choose between Texas and California, I'd choose Canada.

Seriously, Dallas isn't too bad. Traffic sucks, but there's a lot of career opportunities there. The people are nice enough, unless you insult their football teams (which I would do on a daily basis).

I've only ever stopped in California at LAX en route to Hawaii, and that experience alone was enough to tell me I never want to live there. And anyone I've ever met from California has been a major ass.

I'll stay where I am, in my quiet town nestled in the mountains of Arkansas. From here, Walmart rules the world, and no one even bothers to come and visit. I like it that way.

Besides South Padre Island, I would say CA is one of the best to visit, but in terms of living and raising a family, I have to say TX. CA is too much into being a nanny and sancturay city state, that they will bankrupt the state, its corporations and eventually the people living in California!

If I had to choose between Texas and California, I'd choose Canada.

Seriously, Dallas isn't too bad. Traffic sucks, but there's a lot of career opportunities there. The people are nice enough, unless you insult their football teams (which I would do on a daily basis).

I've only ever stopped in California at LAX en route to Hawaii, and that experience alone was enough to tell me I never want to live there. And anyone I've ever met from California has been a major ass.

I'll stay where I am, in my quiet town nestled in the mountains of Arkansas. From here, Walmart rules the world, and no one even bothers to come and visit. I like it that way.

Rep to you too JS, sorry about the no 'neither' option.

I'm with you, I would be hard pressed to leave Missouri, but Texas runs an extremely close second and Oklahoma third.

If you had to live in one or the other, which would it be:

Red Texas or Blue California?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/67672-what-would-america-be-like-2.html#post999327

can't stereotype them

A conservative redneck would be totally comfortable in red neck bakersfield or red bluff. There are some real red neck cow poke towns throughout california.

A hippie californian might be comfortable in liberal Austin.

Most people would choose to live in the liberal areas. That's where its more expensive, and the property generally costs more. The magic of the free market, as it were. People vote with their dollars. And liberal areas are more popular to live in.

Maryland is Massachusetts' brother in arms.

Believe it or not I was born and raised in Gaithersburg and Tacoma Park, MD. I come from a family of farmers from Garrett County, so being a country boy was in the blood, but my Dad got his PhD from UM and moved to the big bad city. So I know all about MD.

I never go more than 4 miles into that state to visit kin in Friendsville.

Forum List

Back