California Minimum-Wage Earners Work 19 Hours-A-Day, 7 Days-A-Week To Afford Rent

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
20140902_earn_0.jpg

This shouldn't be news to anybody. If you know the Hispanic community there, it explains why multiple families share the same abode and all adults work their tails off just to survive.

I got this from Zero Hedge with a link to this @ 28.25 the minimum wage D.C. would need to support a modest 2-bedroom - The Washington Post

I have an idea.

Get a better job!

I don't want to hear about how they can't. That is just plain ignorant.

I agree that they should be seeking better jobs. However it is hard to find decent paying work in the United States now unless you have a formal college education. So maybe the answer is to keep working hard and receive a formal college education so that you have a better chance at obtaining a job that pays well and so that you deserve to make higher than minimum wage. Those who get degrees work hard for them so that they have jobs that pay well. Therefore those on minimum wage should have to go do the same. Hard work with an education is whats going to pay off since its now 2014.

Here's a helpful link that shows how education affects pay in America
The Rising Cost of Not Going to College Pew Research Center s Social Demographic Trends Project

Maybe MOVE out of California for starters. People act like they can't do anything for themselves anymore. Or look for roommates. Or get another job. what do they want? someone to lead them to a better life

20140902_earn_0.jpg

This shouldn't be news to anybody. If you know the Hispanic community there, it explains why multiple families share the same abode and all adults work their tails off just to survive.

I got this from Zero Hedge with a link to this @ 28.25 the minimum wage D.C. would need to support a modest 2-bedroom - The Washington Post
Many problems with this.

One, if it is a two bedroom unit, you can assume two adults at least living in the unit. The data assumes only one adult is working, which is not a fair assumption.

Second, the data says the person may not spend more than 30% on housing. Yet the average American spends more than that on housing. Why limit it at 30%? Housing is a huge expense. If someone is making less money, they will be spending a larger portion of their income on housing, and will have less spending on other things that are not as necessary.

Third, it compares minimum wage income to the ability to afford the median rental price. How absurd is that? Those on minimum wage will be in the market for units below the median price.

Let's look on Zillow for a cheaper home: I found a house for rent quickly in Stockton, CA, for $695 a month.
Houses for Rent in Stockton CA - 144 Homes - Zillow

That works out to $8,340 per year. In order for that to be 30% of income, that would require an income of 27800. A single person making minimum wage in CA at 40 hours per week would not make that amount, but could still afford the home. It would be roughly 45% of income however. If both household members were working full time minimum wage jobs at 40 hours per week, they would be making slightly more than required to meet the 30% threshold (which again I find rather arbitrary). Furthermore, after working at this wage for some time, they may receive a raise, or find better work.

The OP article over-exaggerates the problem.

Last edited:
Send half the population of LA back to Mexico and there will be plenty of job openings and with less people around, the wages offered will have to increase. Simultaneously, with so many vacanies now open, apartment prices will drop. Win-Win - higher wages and lower rents. Sad for democrats though - no Mexicans to vote in US elections.

20140902_earn_0.jpg

here's a good idea, double everyone's wage so all Americans can cut their work week in half and enjoy the good life! In fact let's make it an international law so the whole planet can enjoy life!! Why didn't we think of that sooner?

longknife is a genius liberal and obviously has not taken Econ 101 or completed HS for that matter.

If I'm a liberal, why is it that on a recent test, I only agreed with Dimbocraps 23% of the time?

Maybe MOVE out of California for starters. People act like they can't do anything for themselves anymore. Or look for roommates. Or get another job. what do they want? someone to lead them to a better life

For someone who said they received government cheese and welfare you are one nutty puppy

If I'm a liberal, why is it that on a recent test, I only agreed with Dimbocraps 23% of the time?

why not tell us what aspect of Democratism you find acceptable?

It's been so long since I took the test I can't remember. That's what happens when you get to be my age.

yes its hard to justify more and more liberal welfare when it hasn't worked for 100 years and only created the need for more and more welfare and less and less work!!

The median home price in San Francisco went over a million dollars in July.

The median household income in San Francisco is about $75k.

It doesn't compute. An "average" family can NEVER buy an "average" house.

The median home price in San Francisco went over a million dollars in July.

The median household income in San Francisco is about $75k.

It doesn't compute. An "average" family can NEVER buy an "average" house.

yes but above average families can by average homes. There is nothing that says the number of average homes must equal to the number of average families.

Forum List

Back