California lawmakers pass bill to teach gay history

Better, but it still begs the question that why do we have schools injecting people's touchy feely goody goody agendas when they should be concentrating on getting the kids to think at all, and not just the way a certian political group wants them to.

How would liberals feel if a legislature passed a law requiring the impact christianity had on society to be taught as part of history?

I don't think we should be wasting money on sports programs, ESL, or special needs children. Agenda is all about prescription. Screaming about "agenda" is just another agenda.

Which is another agenda, which is another agenda, which ends up with the enterpise caught in a temporal loop..... sorry I shouldnt watch star trek when typing.

The question isnt what is included in the curriculum, the question is why a state legislature feels the need is has to make a freaking law to get one groups desired topics into said curriculum.

If the local school board wants to do it, fine, so long as they meet basic standards, but to legislate that schools HAVE to include gay people seems just silly to me.

First question: Do you live in CA? If not, then dont worry about it. If you do then you know the answer.

Answer to your question: Liberals and the nanny state mentality.

It's unfair to fool children into believing homosexuality is a positive lifestyle.

SACRAMENTO, Calif (Reuters) - A bill to require public schools in California to teach about the historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians passed the state legislature on Tuesday in what supporters call a U.S. first.

Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, has not said publicly whether he supports the bill, which he has 12 days to sign or veto once it reaches his desk later this month. If he takes no action, the measure would become law automatically.

The bill gained final passage from the state Assembly on a vote of 49-25, without a single Republican supporting it. The measure cleared the state Senate in April.

California lawmakers pass bill to teach gay history - Yahoo! News

Gay people have not accomplished anything?

So...we don't talk about Michelangelo? Virginia Woolf? James Buchanan? J. Edgar Hoover?

What does who they like to bugger have to do with a person's place in history, unless who they like to bugger is the REASON they are part of history?

Alan Turing, the conceptual father of modern computers, and the man who almost single-handedly won WWII for the Allies, commit suicide in poverty after he was "convicted" by a British Court of "Gross Indecency" for being gay, and was chemically castrated.

That's part of "history".

SACRAMENTO, Calif (Reuters) - A bill to require public schools in California to teach about the historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians passed the state legislature on Tuesday in what supporters call a U.S. first.

Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, has not said publicly whether he supports the bill, which he has 12 days to sign or veto once it reaches his desk later this month. If he takes no action, the measure would become law automatically.

The bill gained final passage from the state Assembly on a vote of 49-25, without a single Republican supporting it. The measure cleared the state Senate in April.

So...we don't talk about Michelangelo? Virginia Woolf? James Buchanan? J. Edgar Hoover?

Talking about Michelangelo is fine, but do we need to tell the children after he painted the Sistine Chapel he went home and sucked a dick?

I don't think we should be wasting money on sports programs, ESL, or special needs children. Agenda is all about prescription. Screaming about "agenda" is just another agenda.

Which is another agenda, which is another agenda, which ends up with the enterpise caught in a temporal loop..... sorry I shouldnt watch star trek when typing.

The question isnt what is included in the curriculum, the question is why a state legislature feels the need is has to make a freaking law to get one groups desired topics into said curriculum.

If the local school board wants to do it, fine, so long as they meet basic standards, but to legislate that schools HAVE to include gay people seems just silly to me.

First question: Do you live in CA? If not, then dont worry about it. If you do then you know the answer.

Answer to your question: Liberals and the nanny state mentality.

I live in NY, so no, but as california goes New York often follows.

What does who they like to bugger have to do with a person's place in history, unless who they like to bugger is the REASON they are part of history?

Alan Turing, the conceptual father of modern computers, and the man who almost single-handedly won WWII for the Allies, commit suicide in poverty after he was "convicted" by a British Court of "Gross Indecency" for being gay, and was chemically castrated.

That's part of "history".

And if the local boards want to include it, not an issue. Again my issue is soley with a legislature getting involved in curriculum.

How much will it cost to purchase new textbooks? Which publisher will get the exclusive for incorporating this into their books? And how many other excellent texts will be excluded because they don't have this?

If the state feels this is such an important requirement, they should write their own material and provide it for free to the districts.

Unfunded mandates are one of the biggest problems in public education.

Oh and if they want it taught, they better test it. The test is all that matters. :evil:

California is HISTORY. It USED to be a great state before the commies and perverts took it over.

such a shame to see it go.

and THAT is the crux of the problem we have when it comes to government services. its not free. you pay for it. You may not notice it because its included in your pay deductions, or part of your mortgage or rent, but you are paying for public education.

So I assume you agree that If i dont want to use the service, I can get re-imbursed for sending my kid somewhere else?

Alright lets try this again. If you don't like what is being taught in public school..... pay for private school or home school.

Public school is what is being offered....don't like it...don't take it.

Better, but it still begs the question that why do we have schools injecting people's touchy feely goody goody agendas when they should be concentrating on getting the kids to think at all, and not just the way a certian political group wants them to.

How would liberals feel if a legislature passed a law requiring the impact christianity had on society to be taught as part of history?

YOu DO know that that IS taught, don't you?

Yes it is. But I have an honest question for you bod. Supposing there are dozens of historical literary figures that were "rumored" to be gay. Some were actually married with children. Is it fair to "out" these people who may or may not have explored that lifestyle? What educational benefit is that? Can't you see overzealous historians digging up dirt to fill a textbook? I'm a pragmatist and I believe there are always unintended consequences to every "great idea".

What is there to learn about "Gay History" beyond AIDS? :confused:

Methinks this is more about Gay promotion.

Supporters of the latest bill said it would simply include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals within that existing requirement, making it part of the curriculum in history and other social studies classes.

I don’t see the problem, schools already teach about Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Christopher Marlowe, and Herman Melville – the law merely allows these and other important figures of history to come out of the closet.

but why the hell does a state legislature have to get involved in the curriculum of schools? I am against this sort of crap no matter the topic. If schools are run locally, the local boards decide what is taught, to the basic standards set by the state, not specific "Teach X because we are PC asshats" topics.

How would some people feel if a legislature required every student to get training in a springfield .30-06. rifle as part of thier curriculum?

^ What he said. :thup:

Private school.... if you don't like public school you don't have to attend or send your children. It makes me laugh when people complain about something that comes for free.

and THAT is the crux of the problem we have when it comes to government services. its not free. you pay for it. You may not notice it because its included in your pay deductions, or part of your mortgage or rent, but you are paying for public education.

So I assume you agree that If i dont want to use the service, I can get re-imbursed for sending my kid somewhere else?

Alright lets try this again. If you don't like what is being taught in public school..... pay for private school or home school.

Oh my. The people should have a say in how their tax dollars are spent. Many can't afford to pay for both public and private schools, yet are required to pay for public schools. There's something wrong there.

More attacks on parental rights by the oppressive left wing

Private school.... if you don't like public school you don't have to attend or send your children. It makes me laugh when people complain about something that comes for free.

But it's not 'free', the tax payers in each local school district are footing the bill. Perhaps we should also include the religious background of each major figure in history as well? Should a law be passed to force that to happen so we can identify who was atheist or Christian or whatever, as if that had anything to do with their noted accomplishments? What is the point of revealing the sexual proclivities of some historical figure? There is none, other than to push the gay agenda and/or to be 'politically correct'.

Who said they shouldn't be discussed or their accomplishments noted? It adds nothing to also include who they liked to have sex with. Are we also going to explicitly note all that were heterosexual as well?

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous premise to take. There's no reason that taxpayers and parents shouldn't have a say in what is being taught to their children or to have concerns over it. We're paying for it.

YOu DO know that that IS taught, don't you?

Yes, but did it come via legislative fiat?

I'd just like to point out that for all the whining that Prop "H8" passed due to lies and fear-mongering, this is yet another example of how their concerns were absolutely valid. They said gay marriage proponents would attack churches, and they did. They said they just want homosexuality taught to children, now this bill passes. It's not fear-mongering if the shit is 100% true.

And by the way, this bill makes no sense. Exactly how will addressing the sexual orientation of historical figures enrich any child's education? Unless the contention is there are figures left out of modern history simply because they're gay, which would take more proof than assuming it based on the present-day LGBT community's victimhood complex, the only point I see to this is to pique schoolchildren's curiosity about what gay, lesbian, transgendered, and bisexual means, and why are people that way. Which, of course, is the entire point of this BS.

CA is going to hell in a damn handbasket.

Forum List

Back