California lawmakers pass bill to teach gay history

May 12, 2011
SoCal
SACRAMENTO, Calif (Reuters) - A bill to require public schools in California to teach about the historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians passed the state legislature on Tuesday in what supporters call a U.S. first.

Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, has not said publicly whether he supports the bill, which he has 12 days to sign or veto once it reaches his desk later this month. If he takes no action, the measure would become law automatically.

The bill gained final passage from the state Assembly on a vote of 49-25, without a single Republican supporting it. The measure cleared the state Senate in April.

California lawmakers pass bill to teach gay history - Yahoo! News

• Banned
Sick fvckers, forcing their gayness on everyone.

Thanks Democrats!!!!

Do you think we can get Christian history in schools now?

SACRAMENTO, Calif (Reuters) - A bill to require public schools in California to teach about the historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians passed the state legislature on Tuesday in what supporters call a U.S. first.

Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, has not said publicly whether he supports the bill, which he has 12 days to sign or veto once it reaches his desk later this month. If he takes no action, the measure would become law automatically.

The bill gained final passage from the state Assembly on a vote of 49-25, without a single Republican supporting it. The measure cleared the state Senate in April.

James Buchanan :eusa_whistle:

Supporters of the latest bill said it would simply include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals within that existing requirement, making it part of the curriculum in history and other social studies classes.

I don’t see the problem, schools already teach about Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Christopher Marlowe, and Herman Melville – the law merely allows these and other important figures of history to come out of the closet.

Supporters of the latest bill said it would simply include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals within that existing requirement, making it part of the curriculum in history and other social studies classes.

I don’t see the problem, schools already teach about Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Christopher Marlowe, and Herman Melville – the law merely allows these and other important figures of history to come out of the closet.

but why the hell does a state legislature have to get involved in the curriculum of schools? I am against this sort of crap no matter the topic. If schools are run locally, the local boards decide what is taught, to the basic standards set by the state, not specific "Teach X because we are PC asshats" topics.

How would some people feel if a legislature required every student to get training in a springfield .30-06. rifle as part of thier curriculum?

More attacks on parental rights by the oppressive left wing

Private school.... if you don't like public school you don't have to attend or send your children. It makes me laugh when people complain about something that comes for free.

Private school.... if you don't like public school you don't have to attend or send your children. It makes me laugh when people complain about something that comes for free.

and THAT is the crux of the problem we have when it comes to government services. its not free. you pay for it. You may not notice it because its included in your pay deductions, or part of your mortgage or rent, but you are paying for public education.

So I assume you agree that If i dont want to use the service, I can get re-imbursed for sending my kid somewhere else?

Gay people have not accomplished anything?

So...we don't talk about Michelangelo? Virginia Woolf? James Buchanan? J. Edgar Hoover?

California lawmakers pass bill to teach gay history

Why is it not surprising that you found this? Nice ass less chaps.

So...we don't talk about Michelangelo? Virginia Woolf? James Buchanan? J. Edgar Hoover?

What does who they like to bugger have to do with a person's place in history, unless who they like to bugger is the REASON they are part of history?

and THAT is the crux of the problem we have when it comes to government services. its not free. you pay for it. You may not notice it because its included in your pay deductions, or part of your mortgage or rent, but you are paying for public education.

So I assume you agree that If i dont want to use the service, I can get re-imbursed for sending my kid somewhere else?

Alright lets try this again. If you don't like what is being taught in public school..... pay for private school or home school.

Public school is what is being offered....don't like it...don't take it.

I don't think that anyone's sexuality should have any bearing on what they do or accomplish. The only reason i think that james bechanan should be mentioned is as the first gay president is for the same reason we call obama the first black president.

Though literature may be the exception. We were told to do a report in HS on whatever biography we choose, Ya should have seen the teachers eyes pop when i chose Quentin Crisp..to fuck with their minds!

Alright lets try this again. If you don't like what is being taught in public school..... pay for private school or home school.

Better, but it still begs the question that why do we have schools injecting people's touchy feely goody goody agendas when they should be concentrating on getting the kids to think at all, and not just the way a certian political group wants them to.

How would liberals feel if a legislature passed a law requiring the impact christianity had on society to be taught as part of history?

I don't think that anyone's sexuality should have any bearing on what they do or accomplish. The only reason i think that james bechanan should be mentioned is as the first gay president is for the same reason we call obama the first black president.

Though literature may be the exception. We were told to do a report in HS on whatever biography we choose, Ya should have seen the teachers eyes pop when i chose Quentin Crisp..to fuck with their minds!

is there any real proof that Buchanan was gay? In any event stuff like that is for college people to debate and discuss. In high school and lower stick to the basics. Dates, places, people, and what they did that impacted thier world at the time and our world today.

As an aside when one did a history of the 70's I would agree stonewall should be included, it was part of the liberation movements started in the 50's. What I dont agree with is going hunting for possible gay people in history and going OH OH OH lets add some crap about thier sexuality we may or may not know about.

Better, but it still begs the question that why do we have schools injecting people's touchy feely goody goody agendas when they should be concentrating on getting the kids to think at all, and not just the way a certian political group wants them to.

How would liberals feel if a legislature passed a law requiring the impact christianity had on society to be taught as part of history?

I don't think we should be wasting money on sports programs, ESL, or special needs children. Agenda is all about prescription. Screaming about "agenda" is just another agenda.

I don't think we should be wasting money on sports programs, ESL, or special needs children. Agenda is all about prescription. Screaming about "agenda" is just another agenda.

Which is another agenda, which is another agenda, which ends up with the enterpise caught in a temporal loop..... sorry I shouldnt watch star trek when typing.

The question isnt what is included in the curriculum, the question is why a state legislature feels the need is has to make a freaking law to get one groups desired topics into said curriculum.

If the local school board wants to do it, fine, so long as they meet basic standards, but to legislate that schools HAVE to include gay people seems just silly to me.

Forum List

Back