California is officially insane!

Update: Apparently the link in the pathetic OP is from an article published in March of 2012 that seems to cast this whole thing in a somewhat negative light by interviewing a few educators who are wringing their hands about how they will implement the policy.

Fast forward to the present.

California Is First State to Approve LGBT-Inclusive History Books for K-8 Schools

Apparently it is just getting underway now.

On Thursday, the California state board of education approved 10 LGBT-inclusive history textbooks for K-8 classrooms, becoming the first state in the U.S. to do so.

The state board of education also rejected two books that did not include LGBT history, as this exclusion violates California's 2011 Fair Education Act.

Written by Sen. Mark Leno — and long advocated for by LGBT organizations — this legislation requires history and social sciences curriculum to teach about the accomplishments of queer people and people with disabilities.

Now, who has a problem with that.....? Speak up and explain why.

The approval was also praised by Renata Moreira, executive director of Our Family Coalition, which was among a coalition of organizations pushing for the teaching of LGBT history in California. Others included Equality California, Committee on LGBT History, ACLU of California, GSA Network, Transgender Law Center, the Los Angeles LGBT Center, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, and the Safe Schools Project of Santa Cruz County

why is that insane? there are an awful lot of LGBT people who contributed to this country.

I know... you're a bigot and can't help being a moron.
No one is saying that no LGBT contributed to anything. The Irish have contributed to this country and they don't warrant special lessons applauding their existence. Stop with the social engineering and teach math, reading, writing and the content areas.
See post 136 and learn why.
Just as we accept all groups of people, it doesn't need to be in the curriculum at school. It should be discussed in homes, churches and synagogues. Schools no longer meet the educational standards they once did because society demands them to cure all the ills of society. Brace yourself, be schools and teachers can't dlo it ALL. We need the people to teach their own families about justice and injustice in our society.
I explained why I believe that it is appropriate and necessary. You can accept it or not. I don't much care since there is nothing that you can do about it.

No one is saying that schools should "do it all" I'm saying that schools play an important role and it takes a team effort to properly educate kids, not only in the three R's but in how to be responsible, caring adults who can get along with and appreciate diversity. Families don't always do that and some are down right fucked up and incompetent.

So tell us, are you also opposed to teaching about the accomplishments of racial and religious minorities, and women??

[
I see it only being a factor in the same way that a person's race is a factor...the first gay city councilman (Harvey Milk), the first gay President (James Buchanan), the first gay director of the FBI (J. Edgar Hoover)...only in that fashion

What they did is what should be emphasized; their sexuality doesn't even need to be mentioned. Know why? It doesn't matter.

Why is this being forced on kids to learn when they are failing miserably at the basics? Instead of discussing the sexuality of those in history they ought to be teaching children how to read, write and add.

So..we never ever talk about the First woman who when into space, the first black president....stuff like that?

Sure we do. What does their sexual preference have to do with what they accomplished? Saying 'so and so was the first woman' or 'so and so was the first black' . . . and? I can see that someone is a female or black . . . their sexual orientation isn't known unless they make it known. It's private and should stay there. I don't recall being taught that George Washington was the first president of the U.S. and was a heterosexual or that Alexander the Great conquered the Persian Empire and was a homosexual. Who cares what their sexual preference was/is? Did they accomplish what they did because of their sexual preference?

Si modo articulated it well in an earlier post:

Did I say it was wrong that a person is gay or lesbian?

No.

So you're arguing with yourself on that. I have no desire to participate in an argument that has little to do with me.

Irrespective of that, my point is clear. You, and this program, focus on the label rather than the person.

Labels come in two types - good and bad.

When you and programs encourage labels, don't whine when you get both - it's what you wanted, and then you whine about it.

MLK said it best - focus on the content of character, not the label. This (and you) focuses on the label.

Schools shouldn't be teaching sexuality at all . . . that's what parents are for.

Kids are doing miserably in the three R's and this is what the CA school system is focusing on? Schools are failing in the job they're suppose to be doing and have no business teaching what some historical figure's sexual preference/orientation is.

First of all. Sex is private , but sexuality is another matter. When you say that gays should keep sexuality private, you're basiclly saying that they should be in the closet. And, if closetted, they cannot have the same full life and freedom that heterosexual and cisgender people have. Think about it. Straight people do not have to hide who they are dating and who they marry. They can bring their lover or spouse to family gatherings . They can place their pictures on social media and on their desk at work. They do not have to talk in gender neutral terms when speaking to others about their loved ones. All things that heterosexuals take for granted.

Having said that, the point is not that their sexual preference has anything to do with their accomplishments. The point is that all to often LGBTQ people are cast in a negative light and smeared as perverts and predators and that it is all about the sex acts while ignoring the whole person.

What California is doing is trying to insure that the negative propaganda is countered by positive views of LGBT people and educate children about the fact that they are real people and that sex is only one small aspect of who they are - just like you. They should be trated by educators just like any other minority or group that has been maligned and held back, like blacks and women.

These youngsters are impressionable and could easily deveop into bigots if exposd to the wrong message exclusivly with out that being ballanced out by positive information That in turn will negativly effect them later in life by making it difficult for them to deal with and accept diversity in work and social settings. That is why this program is a legitimate part of the educational process. It is not just about the three R's

Thank you for inspiring me to write this

Where did I say they should keep their sexuality private? Oh yeah, I didn't. Try reading what I actually wrote.

And stop projecting bullshit terms like 'cisgender' onto others. You want to call yourself some made up leftist term, feel free. Stop assuming that others agree with that insanity.

Guidelines for posting

When starting a new Thread, please first check and confirm that there are not Current Threads, on the Same Topic, This will Avoid Merges. Please select the forum that best relates to the subject matter of your topic. Opening Posts require more than a Copy and Paste with a Link, You need to include relevant, on topic material of your own. When posting a new topic do not use the CAPS lock.

USMB Rules and Guidelines
Are you serious?

This thread was SIX YEARS OLD! Why are we resurrecting this thread?

Update: Apparently the link in the pathetic OP is from an article published in March of 2012 that seems to cast this whole thing in a somewhat negative light by interviewing a few educators who are wringing their hands about how they will implement the policy.

Fast forward to the present.

California Is First State to Approve LGBT-Inclusive History Books for K-8 Schools

Apparently it is just getting underway now.

On Thursday, the California state board of education approved 10 LGBT-inclusive history textbooks for K-8 classrooms, becoming the first state in the U.S. to do so.

The state board of education also rejected two books that did not include LGBT history, as this exclusion violates California's 2011 Fair Education Act.

Written by Sen. Mark Leno — and long advocated for by LGBT organizations — this legislation requires history and social sciences curriculum to teach about the accomplishments of queer people and people with disabilities.

Now, who has a problem with that.....? Speak up and explain why.

The approval was also praised by Renata Moreira, executive director of Our Family Coalition, which was among a coalition of organizations pushing for the teaching of LGBT history in California. Others included Equality California, Committee on LGBT History, ACLU of California, GSA Network, Transgender Law Center, the Los Angeles LGBT Center, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, and the Safe Schools Project of Santa Cruz County

Well, schools teach about all kinds of freaks past and present...why not teach about mentally disturbed chicks with dicks and men with tits....They should write the curriculum in pencil though....it won't be long before the studies will include pedophilia and zoophilia.

And stop projecting bullshit terms like 'cisgender' onto others. You want to call yourself some made up leftist term, feel free. Stop assuming that others agree with that insanity.
I'm not assuming anything . I find it interesting that you can't seem to deal with anything that I've said about education or anything else in a thoughtful or intelligent way, but rather seem to have a need to lash out at me and use disparaging rhetoric. Why are you so threatened by this subject matter?

Many innovators were considered insane at the time.

Not seeing anything here of value.

How is knowing about the obscure gay person who did something that wasn't terribly important going to help make these kids better workers?

Schools need to stop the political indoctrination bullshit and get back to the basics. Teach them to read, write, do math, and know some simple science and basic history.

Is this asking too much?
What good are facts if you have no understanding of the human condition? For robots no problem. For complex human beings it is another story.

How is knowing about the obscure gay person who did something that wasn't terribly important going to help make these kids better workers?

Schools need to stop the political indoctrination bullshit and get back to the basics. Teach them to read, write, do math, and know some simple science and basic history.

Is this asking too much?

JoeB,

Have to be careful listening to the homophobes...

They are teaching about discrimination in History and the added the LBGT and people with disabilities to that list... So they are getting added Blacks and Women...

Should Students Learn More About the Contributions of the LGBT Community?

Lets consider workplace discrimination is pretty rampant and costs businesses not mainly from lawsuits but from the lack of diversity views brought forward in a business.

So this is not political indoctrination but way by showing how History treated certain people their society suffered...

Is this asking too much?

JoeB,

Have to be careful listening to the homophobes...

They are teaching about discrimination in History and the added the LBGT and people with disabilities to that list... So they are getting added Blacks and Women...

Should Students Learn More About the Contributions of the LGBT Community?

Lets consider workplace discrimination is pretty rampant and costs businesses not mainly from lawsuits but from the lack of diversity views brought forward in a business.

So this is not political indoctrination but way by showing how History treated certain people their society suffered...
I remember when there were classes on the history of women, history of blacks, etc. Now those ideas are mostly blended into general history. The point is they are no longer ignored and their contributions to our history and our culture are now understood and valued. Should be the same for LGBT people.

[
I see it only being a factor in the same way that a person's race is a factor...the first gay city councilman (Harvey Milk), the first gay President (James Buchanan), the first gay director of the FBI (J. Edgar Hoover)...only in that fashion

What they did is what should be emphasized; their sexuality doesn't even need to be mentioned. Know why? It doesn't matter.

Why is this being forced on kids to learn when they are failing miserably at the basics? Instead of discussing the sexuality of those in history they ought to be teaching children how to read, write and add.

So..we never ever talk about the First woman who when into space, the first black president....stuff like that?

Sure we do. What does their sexual preference have to do with what they accomplished? Saying 'so and so was the first woman' or 'so and so was the first black' . . . and? I can see that someone is a female or black . . . their sexual orientation isn't known unless they make it known. It's private and should stay there. I don't recall being taught that George Washington was the first president of the U.S. and was a heterosexual or that Alexander the Great conquered the Persian Empire and was a homosexual. Who cares what their sexual preference was/is? Did they accomplish what they did because of their sexual preference?

No.

So you're arguing with yourself on that. I have no desire to participate in an argument that has little to do with me.

Irrespective of that, my point is clear. You, and this program, focus on the label rather than the person.

When you and programs encourage labels, don't whine when you get both - it's what you wanted, and then you whine about it.

MLK said it best - focus on the content of character, not the label. This (and you) focuses on the label.

Schools shouldn't be teaching sexuality at all . . . that's what parents are for.

Kids are doing miserably in the three R's and this is what the CA school system is focusing on? Schools are failing in the job they're suppose to be doing and have no business teaching what some historical figure's sexual preference/orientation is.

First of all. Sex is private , but sexuality is another matter. When you say that gays should keep sexuality private, you're basiclly saying that they should be in the closet. And, if closetted, they cannot have the same full life and freedom that heterosexual and cisgender people have. Think about it. Straight people do not have to hide who they are dating and who they marry. They can bring their lover or spouse to family gatherings . They can place their pictures on social media and on their desk at work. They do not have to talk in gender neutral terms when speaking to others about their loved ones. All things that heterosexuals take for granted.

Having said that, the point is not that their sexual preference has anything to do with their accomplishments. The point is that all to often LGBTQ people are cast in a negative light and smeared as perverts and predators and that it is all about the sex acts while ignoring the whole person.

What California is doing is trying to insure that the negative propaganda is countered by positive views of LGBT people and educate children about the fact that they are real people and that sex is only one small aspect of who they are - just like you. They should be trated by educators just like any other minority or group that has been maligned and held back, like blacks and women.

These youngsters are impressionable and could easily deveop into bigots if exposd to the wrong message exclusivly with out that being ballanced out by positive information That in turn will negativly effect them later in life by making it difficult for them to deal with and accept diversity in work and social settings. That is why this program is a legitimate part of the educational process. It is not just about the three R's

Where did I say they should keep their sexuality private? Oh yeah, I didn't. Try reading what I actually wrote.

Language is not stagnant, never has been. It changes and evolves along with our culture. One day terms you consider imposed upon you by liberals will be in the dictionary; that's how it works. The language isn't imposed upon you by any one sect but by the development of our culture and the use of the word. We no longer live in the 19t century. Our language reflects our current time and culture.

[

No.

Language is not stagnant, never has been. It changes and evolves along with our culture. One day terms you consider imposed upon you by liberals will be in the dictionary; that's how it works. The language isn't imposed upon you by any one sect but by the development of our culture and the use of the word. We no longer live in the 19t century. Our language reflects our current time and culture.
Thank you for bringing some sanity and reason to this issue. Unfortunately, it will be lost on some.

Guidelines for posting

When starting a new Thread, please first check and confirm that there are not Current Threads, on the Same Topic, This will Avoid Merges. Please select the forum that best relates to the subject matter of your topic. Opening Posts require more than a Copy and Paste with a Link, You need to include relevant, on topic material of your own. When posting a new topic do not use the CAPS lock.

Are you serious?

Because the program is just now being implemented based on a 2012 law, and some people who do not have the acumen to understand the logic-or who are blinded by their bigotry- are having a shit fit over it. Any more questions?

[

No.

Thank you for bringing some sanity and reason to this issue. Unfortunately, it will be lost on some.
How sweet. The prig and the poofter. English is such a rich language!

Guidelines for posting

Are you serious?

Because the program is just now being implemented based on a 2012 law, and some people who do not have the acumen to understand the logic-or who are blinded by their bigotry- are having a shit fit over it. Any more questions?
Not really a question but a statement - should be a new thread.

Forum List

Back