California here we come

Calitics:: California's Business Climate -- Myths & Facts

MYTH: California's high-taxes and cost of doing business is driving businesses and jobs to states with fewer regulations

FACT: California loses very few jobs from businesses leaving the state. In fact, only 11,000 jobs leave the state annually out of a total of 18 million jobs. That's only 0.06% of California's total jobs that are lost by businesses moving out of state. The biggest job creation and loss engine are businesses opening, expanding, shrinking and closing within the state due to normal business cycles-very few businesses leave the state to our neighbors.

California has lost fewer jobs than our ostensibly "business-friendly" neighboring states. California does not rank in the Top 10 of states suffering job loss from 2008-09 and three of our five neighboring states lost more jobs than California. Our low-tax neighbors of Arizona, Nevada and Oregon had over 6.5% job loss, while California only had 4%. Even notoriously low-tax, little regulation states like Florida and the Carolinas have suffered more job losses than California.

MYTH: Businesses will not come to California because of our high-taxes and high-wages

FACT: Businesses chose their locations for many different reasons including the tax burden, but also based on other criteria such as infrastructure, education and skill level of the workforce, access to intellectual and natural resources and many others. In that regard, California has an advantage because of our natural and human resources and the high concentration of research and technology centers. In addition, California workers are among the most productive with an annual average output that is 13% higher than in other states.

However, we are in danger of losing our competitive edge. Budget cuts result in crumbling roads, under-funded education systems that fail to educate the workforce, traffic-clogged highways that slow delivery and inadequate housing stock. California businesses can't be globally competitive when they don't have the infrastructure to perform. That is what will drive business from the state.

Jerry Brown

Jerry Brown’s budget cuts deep, looks to extend tax hikes, reshapes government
() January 10, 2011 | 10:06 am Gov. Jerry Brown will unveil a stark budget plan for California on Monday, proposing to slash welfare spending in half, cut nearly 20% from the state's university system and reduce healthcare coverage for the poor -- while aksing that voters approve an array of tax increases.

Brown, a Democrat, said in a statement he is proposing a budget composed roughly of half cuts and half taxes to confront a budget shortfall that his office has estimated at $25.4 billion.

Brown said his $84.6-billion general fund spending plan "will be painful, requiring sacrifice from every sector of the state, but we have no choice,"

Just curious, TM....if it's all good in Ca. to make these deep cuts in that state, and you DO approve. Why are you so against the same mindset as the federal level?

where Did I say it was all good?

I said it was getting better and this is one indication the cuts dont have to be so draconian.

Jerry Brown is not messing arround is he?

Im not happy about some of the cuts but you better believe I trust him more than an R who ALWAYS wants to cut everything just because of how they view things plolitically.

I posted WHAT he is doing in the face of some knowitall partisan who didnt even know what they were talking about.

YOU then ASSUMED that meant I was 100 % behid the cuts.

Im not.

You dont cut peoples pensions that they have been counting on all their lives.

The deal they signed gave them those benifits.

It would be utterly dishonest to cut what they were promised to stay at their jobs for decades.

You think it's good that, with $6.6B in "unexpected tax receipts", spending is being cut only $2.6M, taxes increased by over $9B, and we still have a $10.8B deficit?

Well, of course you do, you sad little booby.

Last edited:
Do you peoole EVER listen to the experts on WHY things are done?

Of course TMN has more sympathy for DELTA SMELT than she does for the Poor Brown People who are suffering 30%+ unemployment rates due to the destruction of the agricultural industry by the Feds' Water Policy...she has much more in common with a fish than she does a human being.

Of course TMN has more sympathy for DELTA SMELT than she does for the Poor Brown People who are suffering 30%+ unemployment rates due to the destruction of the agricultural industry by the Feds' Water Policy...she has much more in common with a fish than she does a human being.
Comedian/actor Paul Rodriguez has family members up there who have had to close their farms completely.........He's out front and center pleading with the government to turn the damn water back on.......He's even volunteered his own money to help offset the cost of building facilities to farm raise those damn guppy's......Of course it just falls on deaf ears.

How about we do the honest thing and pay for these peoples medical care like we promised them.

Now this recovery is barely in gear.

Cali will pull out of this and soar in a couple of years.

You will have moonbeam Jerry to thank.

Isn't that what they said the last time he ran the show ?
You don't read, much, do you????

:eusa_eh:
"Upon taking office ('75), Brown gained a reputation as a fiscal conservative. The American Conservative later noted he was "much more of a fiscal conservative than Governor Reagan." His fiscal restraint resulted in one of the biggest budget surpluses in state history, roughly $5 billion."

:eusa_clap: . :eusa_clap: . :eusa_clap: . :eusa_clap: . :eusa_clap:

Looks like things are looking up for California...and you have radical RW reactionaries like CaliforniaGirl who wants this NOT to be true.

These degenerates never cease to amaze me.

People can say anything.Doesn't make what they say true.Anybody can say that California will have so much money in the next 5 years they will have to burn it.I can say I have a date with
Jennifer Anniston.Doesn't make it true.By the way I'm not suppose to say that anymore legal issue pending.

People can say President Obama is the best President we have ever had.
See there's a perfect example right there of saying anything.It doesn't make it true.:lol:

Comedian/actor Paul Rodriguez has family members up there who have had to close their farms completely.........He's out front and center pleading with the government to turn the damn water back on.......He's even volunteered his own money to help offset the cost of building facilities to farm raise those damn guppy's......Of course it just falls on deaf ears.

I've seen Rodriquez on the news speaking about this issue quite a few times. The communities in the valley are being decimated.

Victor Davis Hanson has written some excellent columns about this as well (Work and Days on pajamasmedia - good reading).

Do you peoole EVER listen to the experts on WHY things are done?

Peoole? Is that a cross between a Person and a Poodle? Who knew that Dr. Moreau is alive and well?
Only one group I can think of!!!!

jesus_dinosaur.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPVm8gv8fM]YouTube - Oingo Boingo - No Spill Blood[/ame]​

Forum List

Back