California Gov. Brown to Seek Sweeping Pension Cuts

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown will propose sweeping rollbacks to public employee pension benefits in California, including raising the retirement age to 67 for new employees who are not public safety workers and requiring state and local employees to pay more toward their retirement and health care, according to a draft of the plan obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press.

The governor will also propose Thursday a mandatory "hybrid" system in which future retirees would get their retirement from a guaranteed benefit and a 401(k)-style plan subject to market whims. For employees with at least 30 years of service, retirement benefits would aim to replace about 75 percent of an employee's salary through retirement funds and Social Security, according to the draft.

Read more: California Gov. Brown To Seek Sweeping Pension Cuts | Fox News

Sounds eerily familiar will there be the same outrage? Cutting pensions and raising the retirement age...

When a Liberal recommends it it is good. I mean Bush is blamed for 6 trillion deficit in 8 years and they say that was bad, but Obama will have 5 trillion in 4 years and they say that is good.

Bush had 2 wars and that was bad, Obama had 4 and that was good.

::Crosses Fingers:: I live in California, but there are other ways of balancing the budget as well.

When a Liberal recommends it it is good. I mean Bush is blamed for 6 trillion deficit in 8 years and they say that was bad, but Obama will have 5 trillion in 4 years and they say that is good.

Nobody has said that the debt under Obama is good. What is questionable is how much of it really is Obama's fault. With Bush, it was mostly Bush's fault and that of the Republicans. They had full control for six full years and then they led us to the housing bust. Yes, it was a bit more complicated than that, it always is. Just as now, Obama doesn't deserve all the blame, neither did Bush.

What bothers me the most is that everyone is more interested in blaming someone else for all of our problems, yet nobody is interested in actually trying to find any solutions. This has been more than obvious with the Republicans trying to castrate Obama every chance they get. Their only goal is to get him out, no matter the cost to this country.

LOL @ extreme partisans who think they can twist reality in their sticky little unwashed hands!

Nobody has said that the debt under Obama is good. What is questionable is how much of it really is Obama's fault. With Bush, it was mostly Bush's fault and that of the Republicans. They had full control for six full years and then they led us to the housing bust. Yes, it was a bit more complicated than that, it always is. Just as now, Obama doesn't deserve all the blame, neither did Bush.

What bothers me the most is that everyone is more interested in blaming someone else for all of our problems, yet nobody is interested in actually trying to find any solutions. This has been more than obvious with the Republicans trying to castrate Obama every chance they get. Their only goal is to get him out, no matter the cost to this country.

Ok lets deal with reality. Go use this internet and discover that the Republicans only had control of the full Congress 4 years of Bush's 8. Then do a little more research and discover that he never had solid control of the Senate for any of that time.

Liberals claimed because the dems did not have 60 votes in the Senate in 2010 and most of 2009 they were not responsible. Republicans never had more then 55 votes as I recall.

Talk to your liberal buddies I ask early on why Obama borrowing 50 cents on every dollar the US spent was good and was told Obama's debt was good because he spent the money in the US ( even though that is not true) then research how many foreign entities got his stimulus.

Excuse me? It was 'more complicated than that' but it was Bush's fault? :lol: No, it wasn't. Both sides.... equally to blame for this clusterfuck. Bush just happened to be the President at the time. The only way you can claim Bush carried the majority of the blame is by completely ignoring the facts. You might do that. Honest people do not.

CaféAuLait;4324637 said:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Gov. Jerry Brown will propose sweeping rollbacks to public employee pension benefits in California, including raising the retirement age to 67 for new employees who are not public safety workers and requiring state and local employees to pay more toward their retirement and health care, according to a draft of the plan obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press.

The governor will also propose Thursday a mandatory "hybrid" system in which future retirees would get their retirement from a guaranteed benefit and a 401(k)-style plan subject to market whims. For employees with at least 30 years of service, retirement benefits would aim to replace about 75 percent of an employee's salary through retirement funds and Social Security, according to the draft.

Sounds eerily familiar will there be the same outrage? Cutting pensions and raising the retirement age...

Wasn't Ol'Jerry the Gov when all these lovely pension and HC plans were enacted??

He's on the right track now but good luck getting the unions to go along since they've been hosing the taxpayers for years.

Wonder if they will all be in the Sacramento State House to protest as they were in WI??

That's absurd. Cut Cap & Balance is a good plan and would have improved the economy and Obama's chances in 2012.

CaféAuLait;4324637 said:

Yet he supports benefits for illegal aliens. Typical liberal, antiAmerican.

Public Employee unions have been fleecing California for years, decades. It's time they started paying a fair share! Mostly by not sucking off the public teat anymore.

It is not unlike the shitter complaints of corporations. For years public employee unions have made outrageous rules that paid the union members more money for doing less. Manipulating vacation time and sick days to gain unearned retirement benefits is only one example.

I have said this before, the housing bust was the dimwits fault; clinton, dodd, frank, etc. thru fannie may and freddie mack. This current economy is obamaturds alone. Time for him to man up, oh wait, he would have to be a man in the first place.

Excuse me? It was 'more complicated than that' but it was Bush's fault? :lol: No, it wasn't. Both sides.... equally to blame for this clusterfuck. Bush just happened to be the President at the time. The only way you can claim Bush carried the majority of the blame is by completely ignoring the facts. You might do that. Honest people do not.

President Bush did increase our debt. while dealing with 9-11 Katrina. Obama has tripled that debt in 3 short years.. just pissing it away. Yes,, I blame obama more than Bush because their reasons for spending were so much different. Obama just wants to give his union buddies money and the rest of us can go fuck ourselves.

::Crosses Fingers:: I live in California, but there are other ways of balancing the budget as well.
I used to live in California, the Governator was your last hope and he failed. I remember how happy I was that he got elected and we'd thrown out Gray Davis. You may recall that Gov't Davis negotiated energy contracts with out of state providers that led to the high prices you pay now. (But that's another story)

Now Governor "Moonbeam" will move forward with raising taxes and austerity measures for everyone because as you know, gov't can never do with less!

Do you own a home? Proposition 13 has kept property taxes to 1% of a homes appraised value since 1979. Liberal Democrats that run (ruin) that state have been screaming for it's repeal ever since. How much you wanna' bet that'll finally get done under Governor "Moonbeam"?

Also, now you see why the banksters are trying desperately to keep home values up. Not only will they lose their investment but state gov'ts will lose all that tax revenue from falling housing prices and states wanna' get in front of that curve by raising property taxes! (but that's another story)

You all should just uncross your fingers and fill your hands with torches and pitchforks and head for Sacramento.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back