California getting crushed in high-speed rail race

The reason rail is so popular and workable in Europe is because they've had it for a very long time. When those rail lines were built land was very cheap, so was labor. New York has a good subway system, in Boston it turned into the Big Dig.

The Big Dig had nothing to do with the subway system in Boston. Why do you insist on making a fool of yourself by trying to play 'expert' on things you know nothing about? I notice you do this ALL THE DAMN TIME.

The reason rail is so popular and workable in Europe is because they've had it for a very long time. When those rail lines were built land was very cheap, so was labor. New York has a good subway system, in Boston it turned into the Big Dig.

The Big Dig had nothing to do with the subway system in Boston. Why do you insist on making a fool of yourself by trying to play 'expert' on things you know nothing about? I notice you do this ALL THE DAMN TIME.

I was really talking about boondoggles that cost much and produce nothing. Why do you try to bait people into getting into pages and pages of senseless argument. I notice you do it all the damn time. You did it with Moonglow, Buford, OohPooPahDoo, Skydancer, GHook93, Dante, Jake Starkey, Huggy and Catzmeow.

The list is geting quite long isn't it? All the people you want to waste their time with you and who refuse. I'm not playing.

I was really talking about boondoggles that cost much and produce nothing. .

No you weren't. What you said was quite clear. You were trying to sound like you knew what you were talking about but you had no fucking clue - AGAIN. It is an on-going pattern of behavior with you.

These big cities had trains & cable cars a hundred years ago. They are gone for a reason, because they suck & nobody wants to ride them. If you want to save gas, then get a moped.

The Boston-New York-Philadelphia-Washington corridor is the only route that high speed rail would be profitable

These big cities had trains & cable cars a hundred years ago. They are gone for a reason, because they suck & nobody wants to ride them. If you want to save gas, then get a moped.
Actually, they are gone because of a conspiracy between the tire and automotive companies playing local politics. That's a known fact, unfortunately. That being said, it would have eventually died off in 90% of cities that used them for the same reasons. Cars are simply a better way of getting around when you have the space, and America has the space.

and if you live 80 miles out of downtown?

Driving from Orange County California to Las Vegas takes about 4 1/2 hours. I've made that trip dozens of times. To take the Amtrak is 11 hours. Take the train from the Irvine station to Union Station downtown, then there is a layover while you wait for the Las Vegas train. That's why there are no groups that take the train but charter a bus instead. To be forced into an 11 hour train trip, a person has to have a serious reason.
All the more reason for a fast train to Vegas.

You started with SF to LA. How did you get to Vegas?

California is BROKE and cannot afford a high speed bullet train.

Driving from Orange County California to Las Vegas takes about 4 1/2 hours. I've made that trip dozens of times. To take the Amtrak is 11 hours. Take the train from the Irvine station to Union Station downtown, then there is a layover while you wait for the Las Vegas train. That's why there are no groups that take the train but charter a bus instead. To be forced into an 11 hour train trip, a person has to have a serious reason.
All the more reason for a fast train to Vegas.

You started with SF to LA. How did you get to Vegas?

California is BROKE and cannot afford a high speed bullet train.
I responded to post just before me, that you included in your post. You don't even read them, do you?

New rails had to be put down for the high speed trains in Europe.

Sure it does. If one could get from SF to LA in 2 1/2 hours it would cut the time to less than a flight. Right now the flight takes just under an hour plus the trip to and from both airports, and the need to arrive early for security etc.

There is NO ONE (i mean clearly NO ONE) including the study commission in charge who says there is even a TINY PRAYER that this train will go between LA and San Fran.

The terminals will be 30 - 80 MILES from the City Centers at best.. It truely is as conceived a train to nowhere funded by BONDS and STIMULUS that is being tossed to consultants and rich partisian supporters who have been selling portions of the right of way for over 20YEARS!!!! BONDS were sold for this starting in 1998 and there is NOTHING to show for it.

And I could only write that after shaking off a hysterical laugh attack over this gem in the OP..

China uses dirt-cheap labor to build tracks at an alarming rate. South Africa needed fast trains to serve the World Cup, and the Middle East wants a faster pilgrimage to holy cities during Hajj and Ramadan.
:clap2:

If that isn't quintessential Leftist economics.. We NEED a bullet train for 3 week World Cup event. Or We NEED a bullet train one month out of 12 for religious celebration.. Yeah, we should probably concede that race.. After all Cali is still paying for it's Hydrogen Hiway it doesn't have, the Embryonic Stem Cell facility that was meant to slap Bush that hasn't produced, and BILLIONS of other ill-conceived programs that will never produce..

Sure it does. If one could get from SF to LA in 2 1/2 hours it would cut the time to less than a flight. Right now the flight takes just under an hour plus the trip to and from both airports, and the need to arrive early for security etc.

There is NO ONE (i mean clearly NO ONE) including the study commission in charge who says there is even a TINY PRAYER that this train will go between LA and San Fran.

The terminals will be 30 - 80 MILES from the City Centers at best.. It truely is as conceived a train to nowhere funded by BONDS and STIMULUS that is being tossed to consultants and rich partisian supporters who have been selling portions of the right of way for over 20YEARS!!!! BONDS were sold for this starting in 1998 and there is NOTHING to show for it.

And I could only write that after shaking off a hysterical laugh attack over this gem in the OP..

China uses dirt-cheap labor to build tracks at an alarming rate. South Africa needed fast trains to serve the World Cup, and the Middle East wants a faster pilgrimage to holy cities during Hajj and Ramadan.

If that isn't quintessential Leftist economics.. We NEED a bullet train for 3 week World Cup event. Or We NEED a bullet train one month out of 12 for religious celebration.. Yeah, we should probably concede that race.. After all Cali is still paying for it's Hydrogen Hiway it doesn't have, the Embryonic Stem Cell facility that was meant to slap Bush that hasn't produced, and BILLIONS of other ill-conceived programs that will never produce..
Link?

Link?

Link to what? The quote I pulled from YOUR OP or the ESCell facility or Hydrogen Hiway, or the fact that NO ONE is talking about getting on in San Fran and stepping off in Los Angeles? I thought you'd KNOW that if you advocating that bankrupt Calis spend their last dime on this farce...

I will say one thing on the possible future of train travel being possible.

Long distance travel at high speed (coast to coast in at longest 24 hours) WITH own vehicle on board. If that can be done for comparatively the same price as a plane ticket for a family of 4-5, they have a shot at doing that. Of course, that would require an average speed of at least 150mph with short stops only at a few major hubs.

The catch is that you would have heavy trains with the need for eliminating grade crossings able to traverse 3000 miles approximately in a day. The current track structure cannot handle it. It'd take possibly a trillion dollars or more just to get the track laid, let along fight the legal battles to do it, and then consider the fact that this is also not in the budget for a large market either no matter what is said otherwise.

So, that's one outlandish possibility. Almost an X Prize level of possible success and profitability. aka, maybe someday a long way off.

Forum List

Back