California ferret owners want their pets legalized

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
I didn't know Ferrets were illegal in certain states. I guess it makes sense though...article says if released by owners they can endanger the native wildlife.

Interesting article...

(AP) SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California's ferret owners are tired of being criminals.

They live in the only U.S. state besides Hawaii that bans residents from keeping ferrets as pets, forcing an untold number of Californians to keep their beloved weasels hidden from the public.

But these renegade ferret lovers have no plans to abandon their long, furry friends. Instead, they're ramping up their campaign to persuade lawmakers, wildlife regulators and the public that it's time to overturn a ban that's been in place for nearly 80 years.

California ferret owners want their pets legalized - CBS News

They make great pets. My college roommate had 3 of them, and they were awesome.

Real trim magnets too!

Never owned one..never wanted to own one. When I was a kid I had a couple of reptiles..and they were awful pets. Learned since then to stick with Animals that actually want human companionship..like dogs and cats.

From what I understand Ferrets are okay for a while..then get nasty.

Never owned one..never wanted to own one. When I was a kid I had a couple of reptiles..and they were awful pets. Learned since then to stick with Animals that actually want human companionship..like dogs and cats.

They do take constant training. Ours would us a letterbox, and there were certain people they just didn't like, but all in all, they were great.

And I'm telling you.....chicks can't resist them. :)

• Banned

Yes, I was reading that they were originally bred to hunt rabbit. Some breeders still use them for this.

According to the article they can easily become feral (and mate with other animals in the weasle family... creating nasty hybrids). I think I will stick to dogs and cats too.

• Banned
Now for some entertainment...the ferret war dance ( Also known as the weasel war dance) :) ...

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if I do the weasel war dance will it drive my wife crazy with desire ? I got bit by a one of thees guys. To me they are like cats. some are grumpy and some are cool.

So, if I do the weasel war dance will it drive my wife crazy with desire ? I got bit by a one of thees guys. To me they are like cats. some are grumpy and some are cool.

I don't know... are you gonna be nekkid? I also think the "who" you roll around at war with might have an impact on the desire factor also. :)

I don't know... are you gonna be nekkid? I also think the "who" you roll around at war with might have an impact on the desire factor also. :)

This could go bad for me. The last time I ran around naked in front of was when were about 16 years old. I am now 37 and have consumed about 11,500 beers, 40 gallons of hard liquor and a butt load of cigarettes. Maybe I will just forget about doing the weasel war dance.

I didn't know Ferrets were illegal in certain states. I guess it makes sense though...article says if released by owners they can endanger the native wildlife.

Interesting article...

(AP) SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California's ferret owners are tired of being criminals.

They live in the only U.S. state besides Hawaii that bans residents from keeping ferrets as pets, forcing an untold number of Californians to keep their beloved weasels hidden from the public.

But these renegade ferret lovers have no plans to abandon their long, furry friends. Instead, they're ramping up their campaign to persuade lawmakers, wildlife regulators and the public that it's time to overturn a ban that's been in place for nearly 80 years.

Hell before ya know it they'll want equal ferret marriage rights and get them......... :eusa_whistle:
It is California after all............

Interesting article...

Hell before ya know it they'll want equal ferret marriage rights and get them......... :eusa_whistle:
It is California after all............

You would think they could just leave it at civil unions. sheesh. Damn ferrets, give them an inch and they take a mile.

Forum List

Back