California facing higher $16 billion shortfall

California Proposition 13 (1978) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The measure

Howard Jarvis and Paul Gann were the most vocal and visible advocates of Proposition 13. Officially named the "People's Initiative to Limit Property Taxation," and known popularly as the "Jarvis-Gann Amendment," Proposition 13 was listed on the ballot through the California ballot initiative process, a provision of the California constitution which allows a proposed law or constitutional amendment to be offered to voters if advocates collect a sufficient number of signatures on a petition. Proposition 13 passed with almost 65% of those who voted in favor and with the participation of nearly 70% of registered voters. After passage, it became article 13A of the California state constitution.

By Proposition 13, the annual real estate tax on a parcel of property is limited to 1% of its assessed value. This "assessed value," may be increased only by a maximum of 2% per year, until and unless the property has a change in ownership. At the time of the change in ownership the low assessed value may be reassessed to complete current market value which will produce a new base year value for the property, but future assessments are likewise restricted to the 2% annual maximum increase of the new base year value.

What do you think happened to revenue after the housing market crashed?

Last edited:
All I can do anymore is laugh and shake my head at California. That state has become a laughingstock. There is no way I'd ever live in that backwards joke of a state.

Well that and the ILLEGAL immigrant population that considers California a safe haven.

Just what do you propose that California does about it's illegal population? The overwhelming majority of the associated costs are things California has NO control over. We are required to educate them and treat them in hospitals. What's your solution?

11% of California's prison population is comprised of illegal aliens, costing us $970 million a year. The Fed only gives us $111 million of that.

Illegal immigrants are a factor in the budget gap math

So what to do? Pass horrible anti-immigration laws (that get challenged in court, costing us even more money) and end up with crops rotting on the vine like Alabama?

How about you make the Federal Government, you know the one stopping Arizona from enforcing those laws, do something?? Why is Obama giving illegal immigrants back door amnesty?? I'll tell you why, they want them to vote, to vote for the Dems so they can keep them on the government dole. Give them free housing, free health care, free education why should they leave?? Require proof of citizenship to receive benefits and the problem is solved.

Illegal immigrants can't vote so your whole premise is false. We are required, by law, to provide education. Check into it...there are court rulings and everything. We are required, by law, to treat anyone that comes into an American hospital...there are court rulings and everything.

Deportations are up under President Obama, to record levels. Top that off with the fact that deportations of illegal criminals is up 70%.

The children being born to illegal immigrants are U.S. Citizens (there are court rulings) and entitled to the benefits.

Keep trying...maybe you'll come up with a viable solution.

Immigration didnt do this to Cali.

things like three strikes laws and idiot tax law like prop 13 did this

Of course Immigration didn't do this. Immigrants want a better life when they come here.

Illegal immigrants add billions to the debt.

It's CA's tax and waste policy that they have had for decades.

Like the man said, You can't fix stupid.

the annual real estate tax on a parcel of property is limited to 1% of its assessed value]

then housing dropped by arround half in price.

Do you understand what that did to revenue?

Just what do you propose that California does about it's illegal population? The overwhelming majority of the associated costs are things California has NO control over. We are required to educate them and treat them in hospitals. What's your solution?

11% of California's prison population is comprised of illegal aliens, costing us $970 million a year. The Fed only gives us $111 million of that.

So what to do? Pass horrible anti-immigration laws (that get challenged in court, costing us even more money) and end up with crops rotting on the vine like Alabama?

How about you make the Federal Government, you know the one stopping Arizona from enforcing those laws, do something?? Why is Obama giving illegal immigrants back door amnesty?? I'll tell you why, they want them to vote, to vote for the Dems so they can keep them on the government dole. Give them free housing, free health care, free education why should they leave?? Require proof of citizenship to receive benefits and the problem is solved.

Illegal immigrants can't vote so your whole premise is false. We are required, by law, to provide education. Check into it...there are court rulings and everything. We are required, by law, to treat anyone that comes into an American hospital...there are court rulings and everything.

Deportations are up under President Obama, to record levels. Top that off with the fact that deportations of illegal criminals is up 70%.

The children being born to illegal immigrants are U.S. Citizens (there are court rulings) and entitled to the benefits.

So instead of doing anything about it, you just sit back and let it happen. What policies are in place that prevent illegal aliens from voting?? I'm well aware of the children of illegal immigrants being US Citizens, as goes California so goes the rest of the US unless we do something, back door amnesty is not my chosen resolution.

Yes, we all know how smart those professors are, we also know how liberal they are. :)

so maybe you should change your sanctuary city policy don'tyathink?

Prop 13 has been slowing strangling California for decades and then the CRASH Bush created sped thing up.

We used to have the best schools in the world until prop 13

:lmao:

So you're going to ignore the fact CA ignores federal law and has to care for illegals?

gunna ignore the fact that tax and waste has been the formula for decades?

you're pathetic

do they cost half the revenue coming in?

NO

but prop 13 did

They have over-spent, they have over-taxed, they have over-given, and now they're facing the completely predictable result. Worse, I don't know how they get out of this, and this will affect the rest of the country.

They'll ask the Fed government for a bailout. I hope they do it when the GOP runs both Houses and the White House and i wish i could be in the room when they say "No".

So you're going to ignore the fact CA ignores federal law and has to care for illegals?

you're pathetic

That's the funny part.. to sit there and whine that the state is forced to educate, medicate, and incarcerate,, which costs them a fortune,, but do they cooperate with the FEDS?? fuck know... they makes their largest cities sanctuary cities,, NOW that's what I call STUPID

see what happens when you let republicans run the country.

Tax revenues disappear along with any stability in the economy to produce more revenue.

They seem to forget that ARNIE presided over the building of this mess.

Oh yeah...it's all the GOP's fault. Typical liberal.

What party controls the White House right now? DEMOCRATS!
What party controls the California state government? DEMOCRATS!

you're pathetic

do they cost half the revenue coming in?

NO

but prop 13 did

" cost half the revenue "

wtf does that mean?

oh wait, its the lib mantra that the gov. owns your labor ( income) and they let you keep what they think is adequate....

if I don't earn an income to sppt 10K a year in CC payments...I don't spend the money, see how that works? now one oculd say hey you will get a rasie next year so just spend ahead and pay it down when your raise comes in....but, what happens if I don't get that rasie? :eek:

see how that works?

if prop 13 didn't exist we would be here anyway, becasue libs recognize NO limit to, well just about anything, spending most of all, there is always another project or entitlement to fund...

Forum List

Back