California facing higher $16 billion shortfall

Californians deserve what they get. They could have voted in a conservative and gotten some fiscal sanity restored to the State but they chose to vote in Democrats instead.

Contrast their 16 billion dollar shortfall with Wisconsin...who in just two years under Scott Walker has gone from a 3 billion dollar deficit to a projected surplus. Maybe Cali can "rent" Walker to come in and fix things for them too?

John Kasich in Ohio eleminated our 8 billion budget shortfall in one year, and now we are number 8 in the nation is job growth and #1 in the nation in job growth in the midwest.

Some people actually think Ohio will vote for the Marxist Obama again.

:lol::lol:

You would think that Californians would vote to recall that inept asshole Jerry Brown, but all of the normal people are just getting the hell out of the state.

Enjoy your implosion.

The Democratic governor said the shortfall grew from $9.2 billion in January in part because tax collections have not come in as high as expected and the economy isn't growing as fast as hoped for. The deficit has also risen because lawsuits and federal requirements have blocked billions of dollars in state cuts.

But Wait.........

According to Obama and the Obama Media America is doing fine, jobs are back, un-employment is 8.1%, gdp is up, stock market is up, economy is great, gas is cheap, wars are over, life is just fine and Obama has saved us all.......... lol....

Is California not part of America? It makes no sense they should not be doing Great like Obama says everyone else is.......

Here's what liberals can do for the whole country. Love the comments after the article. California has more illegal aliens than any other state and they offer them a lot of entitlements. I think California's new motto should be the "IOU State."

California facing higher $16 billion shortfall - Yahoo! News

Greece, Detroit and CA is what happens whenever people are stupid enough to buy into Liberal economics

Beats workin, they figure!

California is still convinced that it can spend its way to prosperity. Meanwhile, the state, as well as individual cities, are doing their very best to drive out what little business remains.

Ugh, I hate to see this. I was born there and spent the first 22 years of my life there. I make excuses to create business reasons to visit the Bay Area whenever I can.

They have over-spent, they have over-taxed, they have over-given, and now they're facing the completely predictable result. Worse, I don't know how they get out of this, and this will affect the rest of the country.

Why would a business want to open its doors there? Why would a family want to move there?

Crap, I can't even put words together. It's such a freakin' beautiful state, and politicians are doing everything they can to kill it. Too frustrating.

Here's what liberals can do for the whole country. Love the comments after the article. California has more illegal aliens than any other state and they offer them a lot of entitlements. I think California's new motto should be the "IOU State."

Greece, Detroit and CA is what happens whenever people are stupid enough to buy into Liberal economics

Don't forget Illinois, the Chicago Punk's home state. The "temporary tax" has businesses scrambling to get the heck out of there. Chicago's short fall is expected to be 635.7 million, that's just one city. The one Rahm Emanuel is running, you know Obama's go to guy!! Illinois budget shortfall is expected to be over 8 BILLION.

Yep Liberal economics are indeed just plain stupid!!

I think this liberal utopia should check on what Scott Walker did and copy him.

It has worked for WI it will work for CA.

but that won't happen, CA will rot on the vine and be a prime example of what not to do.

Vote conservative, or this happens to the whole country

Once again, the consequence of the state’s lawmakers abdicating their legislative authority to set taxing policy to the voters.

That..and the "Three Strikes" law..has made a fiscal mess in California.

The prison population has exploded..and it ain't cheap.

Well then they should raise taxes

so they can go deeper into debt

That's how it's been working. I used the word "working" very loosely"

Once again, the consequence of the state’s lawmakers abdicating their legislative authority to set taxing policy to the voters.

That..and the "Three Strikes" law..has made a fiscal mess in California.

The prison population has exploded..and it ain't cheap.

Well that and the ILLEGAL immigrant population that considers California a safe haven.

Institutional Causes of California's Budget Problem

Abstract:
Since the early 1990s, California has experienced a recurring budget crisis. This article examines the combined budgets of state and local government and the institutions for creating these budgets to ascertain the source of the problem. The facts are that the state collects more taxes and fees as a percent of income than most other states, but local government has lower revenues in California. Total revenues to all governments as a percentage of income are very near the national average. On the expenditure side, the state spends less than the average for other states, but local governments spend much more. High local expenditures are financed by revenue transfers from the state that account for about 40 percent of the state’s budget. The cause of California’s unusual fiscal relationship is decades of initiatives that more severely constrain local revenues than state revenues. The state has responded by creating a system of state-local transfers that allow local governments to face a form of soft budget constraint, leading to excess local spending and lack of clear accountability for the state’s recurring fiscal crisis. Because the cause is the cumulative effect of numerous state-wide initiatives, the only plausible cure is initiative reform and revision of numerous initiatives, which most likely can be accomplished only through a state constitutional convention. All other pending reforms are at best palliatives, and many would make the fiscal situation worse.

What you don't get is that the voters are electing said state 'lawmakers' based on their promise to spend money on benevolence, regardless of tax receipts realized.

But free gubmint stuff for everyone sounds great around election time.

The only "plausible cure"???? Is this an indication that the state is going to raise taxes on local municipalities or cut spending??

"Cumulative effect of state-wide initiatives"?? That's pretty funny. California is in a mess and the writer can think of only one plausible cure?? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

see what happens when you let republicans run the country.

Tax revenues disappear along with any stability in the economy to produce more revenue.

They seem to forget that ARNIE presided over the building of this mess.

Institutional Causes of California's Budget Problem

Abstract:
Since the early 1990s, California has experienced a recurring budget crisis. This article examines the combined budgets of state and local government and the institutions for creating these budgets to ascertain the source of the problem. The facts are that the state collects more taxes and fees as a percent of income than most other states, but local government has lower revenues in California. Total revenues to all governments as a percentage of income are very near the national average. On the expenditure side, the state spends less than the average for other states, but local governments spend much more. High local expenditures are financed by revenue transfers from the state that account for about 40 percent of the state’s budget. The cause of California’s unusual fiscal relationship is decades of initiatives that more severely constrain local revenues than state revenues. The state has responded by creating a system of state-local transfers that allow local governments to face a form of soft budget constraint, leading to excess local spending and lack of clear accountability for the state’s recurring fiscal crisis. Because the cause is the cumulative effect of numerous state-wide initiatives, the only plausible cure is initiative reform and revision of numerous initiatives, which most likely can be accomplished only through a state constitutional convention. All other pending reforms are at best palliatives, and many would make the fiscal situation worse.

i.e Prop 13 is the cause of all this.
Bullshit.
The cause of all of this, as everyone but you sees, is that CA is filled with public sector unions demanding and getting outsize wage and benefits packages. This increases budget demands, leading to higher taxes. Couple that with the fruit n nut mandates on everything the state produces and the result is high productivity workers and companies fleeing the state, reducing tax revenues.

Forum List

Back