California Comes Up With a Good Idea?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I'm astounded. This makes sense and it's not costing Golden State taxpayers millions. The start-up is through private donations. :eusa_whistle:

According to How A Farm-To-Table Program Could Revitalize Prisons @ How A Farm-To-Table Program Could Revitalize Prisons they're going to grow their own food to eat!

Hmmm. I'm sorry to be skeptical but there has to be a fly in the ointment. Someone somewhere is going to make a dig deal of this and either protest, demand a government agency investigate it, or file suit as somehow mis-using prisoners. :eek:

Just wait. :mad:

Illinois tried to make inmates work in fields but Jesse and Al raised a bunch of ignorant assed nonsense about how it would hearken back to the days of slavery.

The movie Brubaker in 1980 showed how corruption took over the Arkansas work prisons.

I think it is good for the prision system to support itself while teaching the prisoners trades for when they get out. Just as long as they don't start arresting more of the population & keeping from rehabilitation & parole because they are slaves making good money for their captors.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cal.../schwarzenegger-send-prisoners-to-mexico.html

^ here is what former CA Gov. Schwarzenegger came up with ^

His is the closest proposal I have found, besides Freedombecki's proposal on
citystates, to the military and prison/hospital complexes and communities
I would envision developed along the border:
Earned Amnesty

especially to replace sweatshops and slave labor with sustainable work-study programs and restitution for criminal trafficking and other violations:

music video for Sustainable Campus converting sweatshop labor to workstudy jobs

Here is Freedombecki's proposal that fits in with this same visionary concept:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/immig...5-sure-fire-cure-for-illegal-immigration.html

I'm astounded. This makes sense and it's not costing Golden State taxpayers millions. The start-up is through private donations. :eusa_whistle:

According to How A Farm-To-Table Program Could Revitalize Prisons @ How A Farm-To-Table Program Could Revitalize Prisons they're going to grow their own food to eat!

Hmmm. I'm sorry to be skeptical but there has to be a fly in the ointment. Someone somewhere is going to make a dig deal of this and either protest, demand a government agency investigate it, or file suit as somehow mis-using prisoners. :eek:

Last edited:

That’s what we have now - inmates being used as slave labor by corporations in for profit enterprises. It should be illegal and is extremely disgusting.

What CA proposes, OTOH, is EXACTLY how the prison system should work. Prisons should be almost completely self-sufficient based on the labor of the community itself. None of that should ever be sold as you point out we do not need prisoners as source of revenue but neither should they sit there without putting back into what they are taking.

This is a great idea. I see nothing wrong with prisoners working for their food. We all work for our food, why shouldn't prisoners? In addition, I believe that most prisoners would not object to getting involved in growing their own food. They would know where their produce is coming from. Prisons generally do not have the best reputation when it comes to the food.

American Mothball

California is just the zany US state to pull something like this off.

I lived in California for six months, and the thing that stood out to me the most was its weird foliage and vegetation (especially in southern California).

In fact, the great fantasia writer Dr. Seuss spent time in UCSD and obtained inspiration for his ecology-elegy work "The Lorax" (1971) from an unusual tree he saw in La Jolla, California.

Encouraging convicts to work for the state is not unheard of, and California-style liberalism politics could arguably catalyze national dialogue about labor outfitting.

:dance:

Libertine - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

cal.jpg

California has many problems with its criminal justice systems. The biggest problems come from Sacramento. The DAs can overcharge to the point where there are no available courtrooms to hear cases, no prisons in which to store prisoners and the system looks the other way. It's not a surprise that prisons need to be "revitalized". Maybe people need not to be imprisoned this much for doing things that do not hurt anyone. Most of our prisons are drug users.

California has many problems with its criminal justice systems. The biggest problems come from Sacramento. The DAs can overcharge to the point where there are no available courtrooms to hear cases, no prisons in which to store prisoners and the system looks the other way. It's not a surprise that prisons need to be "revitalized". Maybe people need not to be imprisoned this much for doing things that do not hurt anyone. Most of our prisons are drug users.
That is an entirely separate issue though SR. It has nothing to do with the above points.

The drug war needs to end - I agree on that part. People need to not be in prison for 'crimes' that do not contain a victim. However, chain gangs need to come back and the prisoners should be sustaining themselves rather than leeching off the people. They don't need TV and comforts, they need jobs and education.

Jobs and education yes. Most prisons I have seen do not have TVs or any such "creature comforts". Unfortunately, such rehabilitative efforts tend to fall on deaf ears. It's frustrating trying to get help for a client who the system says no.

I should also clarify that is harder to rehabilitated prisoners with prisons at the point where the courts had to intervene because overcrowding was so bad. At that point, any pretense of rehabilitation is gone and its about survival of the prisoners and not getting sued.

The solution to prison overcrowding is to convince people not to commit crimes. By the time someone gets to the point where they are sentenced, they already have a rap sheet miles long.

This is factually inaccurate. When someone is sentenced (by plea or trial), that adds a line to their rap sheet.

Forum List

Back