California Bill Would Ban 'Sexual Orientation' Psychotherapy

"Do no harm". It is the fundamental principle of the healing arts.

Correct. It’s also the responsibility of the states to establish criteria concerning appropriate medical treatments and therapies, per the recommendation of professional medical and counseling organizations:

Medical and mental health associations that oppose the use of sexual orientation change efforts include the American Medical Association, the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the National Association of Social Workers, the American Counseling Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy."

Calif. To Prevent Minors from ’Ex-Gay’ Therapies :: EDGE on the Net

My quote clearly stated that I don't think the government should get involved here, despite the idiocy, harmfulness, and obsessively homophobic nature of the therapy.

State governments are already involved in establishing licensing and practicing standards for physicians and therapists, regulating hospitals and clinics, as well as ensuring the safety of drugs and medical equipment.

The state would be negligent in its regulatory responsibilities if it didn’t abide the recommendation of every major professional association in the state as to a potentially harmful ‘treatment.’

"Do no harm". It is the fundamental principle of the healing arts.
Correct. It’s also the responsibility of the states to establish criteria concerning appropriate medical treatments and therapies, per the recommendation of professional medical and counseling organizations:

Medical and mental health associations that oppose the use of sexual orientation change efforts include the American Medical Association, the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the National Association of Social Workers, the American Counseling Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy."

Calif. To Prevent Minors from ’Ex-Gay’ Therapies :: EDGE on the Net
My quote clearly stated that I don't think the government should get involved here, despite the idiocy, harmfulness, and obsessively homophobic nature of the therapy.
State governments are already involved in establishing licensing and practicing standards for physicians and therapists, regulating hospitals and clinics, as well as ensuring the safety of drugs and medical equipment.

The state would be negligent in its regulatory responsibilities if it didn’t abide the recommendation of every major professional association in the state as to a potentially harmful ‘treatment.’

Tell me something, would appropriate medical treatments include Scientology or Christian Science practitioners?

Forum List

Back