California Begins Gun Confiscation

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
i6tRQitg4NJs.jpg

Wearing bulletproof vests and carrying 40-caliber Glock pistols, nine California Justice Department agents assembled outside a ranch-style house in a suburb east of Los Angeles. They were looking for a gun owner who’d recently spent two days in a mental hospital.
Enlarge image California Raiders Seize Guns as Owners Lose Right to Bear Arms

Special Agent Supervisor John Marsh who coordinates the operations around California, said: “We’re not contacting anybody who can legally own a gun. The only people we’re contacting are people who are prohibited from owning guns.” Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

Weapons and ammunition seized from the home of Lynette and David Philllips by agents with the California Department of Justice police in Upland, California. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg
Enlarge image Lynette and David Phillips

Lynette Phillips, 48, and her husband, David Phillips, 51, sit in their home in Upland, California on March 5, 2013. Lynette, a nurse, had to surrender three guns after spending two days in a mental hospital in December. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

Weapons with ammunition seized from the home of Lynette and David Phillips by agents with the California Department of Justice police in Upland, California. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

California Department of Justice police agents walk towards a house near Ontario, California on March 5, 2013. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg
Enlarge image Special Agent Supervisor John Marsh

Special Agent Supervisor John Marsh with the California Department of Justice drives out to seize illegal firearms near Ontario, California on March 5, 2013. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

They knocked on the door and asked to come in. About 45 minutes later, they came away peacefully with three firearms.

California is the only state that tracks and disarms people with legally registered guns who have lost the right to own them, according to Attorney General Kamala Harris. Almost 20,000 gun owners in the state are prohibited from possessing firearms, including convicted felons, those under a domestic violence restraining order or deemed mentally unstable.

“What do we do about the guns that are already in the hands of persons who, by law, are considered too dangerous to possess them?” Harris said in a letter to Vice President Joe Biden after a Connecticut school shooting in December left 26 dead. She recommended that Biden, heading a White House review of gun policy, consider California as a national model.

As many as 200,000 people nationwide may no longer be qualified to own firearms, according to Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis. Other states may lack confiscation programs because they don’t track purchases as closely as California, which requires most weapons sales go through a licensed dealer and be reported.

“Very, very few states have an archive of firearm owners like we have,” said Wintemute, who helped set up the program.
California Seizes Guns as Owners Lose Right to Keep Arms - Bloomberg

Well........it's started.

Hope you've made whatever arrangements you can make.

First the excuses will seem rational but eventually they will start dreaming up more and more excuses to seize our guns. It's hard to imagine what excuse they'll come up with to take them but the goal is to make private gun ownership a thing of the past.

Did they take all the knives away as well.
How about the power tools,hammers saws,
Any baseball bats around.

Now we are taking actions against people before any crime is committed.

Taking guns away from crazy people?

The fiends!

It says 2 days in a mental hospital. The person doesn't have to be a long-term mental patient, just go in for observation. If she spent only 2 days there it looks like suspicions were unfounded. That doesn't matter now. All you need to be put on the list is an unfounded accusation.

Probable Cause

Merely being in a database of registered gun owners and having a “disqualifying event,” such as a felony conviction or restraining order, isn’t sufficient evidence for a search warrant, Marsh said March 5 during raids in San Bernardino County. So the agents often must talk their way into a residence to look for weapons, he said.

At a house in Fontana, agents were looking for a gun owner with a criminal history of a sex offense, pimping, according to the attorney general’s office. Marsh said that while the woman appeared to be home, they got no answer at the door. Without a warrant, the agents couldn’t enter and had to leave empty- handed.

They had better luck in nearby Upland, where they seized three guns from the home of Lynette Phillips, 48, who’d been hospitalized for mental illness, and her husband, David. One gun was registered to her, two to him.

“The prohibited person can’t have access to a firearm,” regardless of who the registered owner is, said Michelle Gregory, a spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office.

Again, not seeing the problem here... Crazy people shouldn't have guns.

Of course, it would probably disqualify 90% of the gun nuts on USMB.

The best argument for gun control is a five minute conversation with a gun nut.

That's some scary stuff..We have come full circle with our rights being stripped

All it takes is a false accusation.

My wife wasn't able to buy a gun because one of her renters swore out a warrant on her for assault. She claimed my wife slammed the door on her foot injuring her. No proof was presented to the injury. They came and got my wife, handcuffed her, and hauled her to jail. This would disqualify her from ever buying a gun. It took 2 years but we were able to get the assault charges wiped from her record. If another renter ever does the same thing they can come and get my guns if I live in California.

Last edited:
i6tRQitg4NJs.jpg

Wearing bulletproof vests and carrying 40-caliber Glock pistols, nine California Justice Department agents assembled outside a ranch-style house in a suburb east of Los Angeles. They were looking for a gun owner who’d recently spent two days in a mental hospital.

Special Agent Supervisor John Marsh who coordinates the operations around California, said: “We’re not contacting anybody who can legally own a gun. The only people we’re contacting are people who are prohibited from owning guns.” Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

Weapons and ammunition seized from the home of Lynette and David Philllips by agents with the California Department of Justice police in Upland, California. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg
Enlarge image Lynette and David Phillips

Lynette Phillips, 48, and her husband, David Phillips, 51, sit in their home in Upland, California on March 5, 2013. Lynette, a nurse, had to surrender three guns after spending two days in a mental hospital in December. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

Weapons with ammunition seized from the home of Lynette and David Phillips by agents with the California Department of Justice police in Upland, California. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

California Department of Justice police agents walk towards a house near Ontario, California on March 5, 2013. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg
Enlarge image Special Agent Supervisor John Marsh

Special Agent Supervisor John Marsh with the California Department of Justice drives out to seize illegal firearms near Ontario, California on March 5, 2013. Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg

They knocked on the door and asked to come in. About 45 minutes later, they came away peacefully with three firearms.

California is the only state that tracks and disarms people with legally registered guns who have lost the right to own them, according to Attorney General Kamala Harris. Almost 20,000 gun owners in the state are prohibited from possessing firearms, including convicted felons, those under a domestic violence restraining order or deemed mentally unstable.

“What do we do about the guns that are already in the hands of persons who, by law, are considered too dangerous to possess them?” Harris said in a letter to Vice President Joe Biden after a Connecticut school shooting in December left 26 dead. She recommended that Biden, heading a White House review of gun policy, consider California as a national model.

As many as 200,000 people nationwide may no longer be qualified to own firearms, according to Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis. Other states may lack confiscation programs because they don’t track purchases as closely as California, which requires most weapons sales go through a licensed dealer and be reported.

“Very, very few states have an archive of firearm owners like we have,” said Wintemute, who helped set up the program.
California Seizes Guns as Owners Lose Right to Keep Arms - Bloomberg

Well........it's started.

Hope you've made whatever arrangements you can make.

First the excuses will seem rational but eventually they will start dreaming up more and more excuses to seize our guns. It's hard to imagine what excuse they'll come up with to take them but the goal is to make private gun ownership a thing of the past.

Somehow, I think you can do it. Nutcase.

The fiends!

It says 2 days in a mental hospital. The person doesn't have to be a long-term mental patient, just go in for observation. If she spent only 2 days there it looks like suspicions were unfounded. That doesn't matter now. All you need to be put on the list is an unfounded accusation.

Probable Cause

Merely being in a database of registered gun owners and having a “disqualifying event,” such as a felony conviction or restraining order, isn’t sufficient evidence for a search warrant, Marsh said March 5 during raids in San Bernardino County. So the agents often must talk their way into a residence to look for weapons, he said.

At a house in Fontana, agents were looking for a gun owner with a criminal history of a sex offense, pimping, according to the attorney general’s office. Marsh said that while the woman appeared to be home, they got no answer at the door. Without a warrant, the agents couldn’t enter and had to leave empty- handed.

They had better luck in nearby Upland, where they seized three guns from the home of Lynette Phillips, 48, who’d been hospitalized for mental illness, and her husband, David. One gun was registered to her, two to him.

“The prohibited person can’t have access to a firearm,” regardless of who the registered owner is, said Michelle Gregory, a spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office.

I suppose we should wait until those folks shoot a bunch of kids in the face.

Only way to be sure.

The fiends!

Probable Cause

Only way to be sure.

Repeat post....for the reading impaired:

All it takes is a false accusation.

My wife wasn't able to buy a gun because one of her renters swore out a warrant on her for assault. She claimed my wife slammed the door on her foot injuring her. No proof was presented to the injury. They came and got my wife, handcuffed her, and hauled her to jail. This would disqualify her from ever buying a gun. It took 2 years but we were able to get the assault charges wiped from her record. If another renter ever does the same thing they can come and get my guns if I live in California.

The fiends!

Probable Cause

Only way to be sure.

there it is folks..Government gets to choose what rights you have

I wouldn't be surprised if Iraqi and Afghanistan vets are put on the confiscation list because they are suspected of having PTSD.

I have to remind the kool-aide drinkers here that many of you claimed this would never happen. Well now that it is you support it. I think probable cause should be based on a history, not one single event that proves not to be a real event.

FYI once confiscated it will take practically an act of Congress to get them back.....that's if they haven't been stolen or destroyed during the process it takes to prove your innocence.

Wonderful how the left is turning the law-abiding citizenry into felons.

Last edited:

Only way to be sure.

Well I suppose we could become like Somalia or Afghanistan. Where it's guns a plenty and no restrictions on who has them..or how they get used.

Only way to be sure.

Well I suppose we could become like Somalia or Afghanistan. Where it's guns a plenty and no restrictions on who has them..or how they get used.

Sure, if you want to go tribal.

It's not a fair example. Somalia doesn't have a form of government anymore. Both Somalia and Afghanistan has warring tribes trying to butcher each other.

Maybe you should try comparing us to Venezuela. Let's start small.

I wouldn't be surprised if Iraqi and Afghanistan vets are put on the confiscation list because they are suspected of having PTSD.

I have to remind the kool-aide drinkers here that many of you claimed this would never happen. Well now that it is you support it. I think probable cause should be based on a history, not one single event that proves not to be a real event.

FYI once confiscated it will take practically and act of Congress to get them back.....if they haven't been stolen or destroyed during the process it takes to prove your innocence.

Wonderful.......how the left is turning the law-abiding citizenry into felons.

There. I knew you could imagine it!

Again, not seeing the problem here... Crazy people shouldn't have guns.

Of course, it would probably disqualify 90% of the gun nuts on USMB.

The best argument for gun control is a five minute conversation with a gun nut.

Gun nut. Meaning anyone who does not support confiscation?

No, meaning anyone who thinks he needs a gun to fight the government or shoot those hoards of criminals they think are hiding in the bushes.

Here's the problem- the top two reasons you jokers give for why you need a gun are silly.

You'll never be able to effectively take on the government (They'll always have bigger, better guns) and a gun in the home is far more likely to kill a person in the home than a bad guy.

The fact that you guys think that crazy people should have guns because, hey, someone might accuse you of being crazy some day, kind of proves their point.

It is absolute insanity that crazy people have such easy access to weapons.

Forum List

Back