California bans plastic grocery bags

"The state Assembly has passed legislation prohibiting California pharmacies and grocery, liquor, and convenience stores from using plastic bags. The bill also calls for customers to be charged for using store-issued paper bags."

Assembly votes to ban plastic grocery bags | Cal Coast News

Those reuseable grocery bags are not sanitary. So what do we do?

Government pricks!

So glad you created this thread, as it focuses the light on the inanity of environmentalism.
Irrationality, ideology rule the movement.
It is a cultlike religion.

This from "The World Turned Upside Down," by Melanie Phillips:
"…public discourse has departed sharply from reality. Self-evident common sense appears to have been turned on its head. Reality seems to have been recast, with fantasies recalibrated as facts while demonstrable truths are dismissed as a matter of opinion at best, or as evidence of some sinister ‘right-wing’ plot….The phenomenon has affected not just the political sphere, where ideology often crowds out facts, for even parts of the scientific domain have given in to irrationality."

Plastic is actually better for the environment, if that is the determinating factor...although I am sure it is not.

"...many hours learning the ins and outs of factors such as eutrophication, which is the degree to which paper or plastic bags disturb the chemical and nutritional balance of the earth's soil as they each sit in landfills or other burial spots. (Paper loses that part of the battle, because the process used to manufacture the bags emits considerably more carbon than the act of making a plastic bag.)

... neither paper nor plastic bags decompose to any useful degree in the landfills where most of our trash ends up."
Binary Man: Paper Or Plastic? - Raw Fisher

And this from a grocery retailer:
"Additionally, several years ago, we placed plastic bag recycling bins in the front of our stores. We not only accept our own used bags, but also those from any retailer. Most people tell us that it's a valuable community service. But I can't tell you the reason is all altruistic; we make money on selling the used plastic bags to Trex, a company that makes synthetic lumber. Profit is the first rule in a successful recycling effort. So plastic is completely recyclable,..."
Ibid.

What do they propose I use to pick up my dog's poo in if I can't use a plastic bag?

What do they propose I put my leaky raw chicken/beef/pork/fish in, if not a plastic bag?

What do they propose I tie onto my kids GI Joe doll in order to make a mock parachute?

Where is Kittenkoder to bash the shit out of this inane ban?

I think the once great state of CA has more to worry about than what type of grocery bags people prefer don't you?

"The state Assembly has passed legislation prohibiting California pharmacies and grocery, liquor, and convenience stores from using plastic bags. The bill also calls for customers to be charged for using store-issued paper bags."

Government pricks!

DUUUUUH!!! Wash the bag after you use it!

Standing in your kitchen, the groceries are all put away. Gather your plastic bags together and put them aside. The next visit to the grocery store, drop your bag of plastic bags in the recyclable bins at the front of the stores by the registers.

Standing in your kitchen, the groceries are all put away. Gather your plastic bags together and put them aside. The next visit to the grocery store, drop your bag of plastic bags in the recyclable bins at the front of the stores by the registers.

Or reuse them as trash bags in your own home.

I line all the small trash cans in my house with grocery bags.

Or reuse them as trash bags in your own home.

I line all the small trash cans in my house with grocery bags.
Yup. We do too.

I do reuse my plastic bags for trash, to clean out the cat litter, etc. So now, I would have to buy more plastic bags for this? :confused:

I use the mesh bags (when I remember to bring them) when I go to the grocery to try and save a little on the plastic bag usuage.

And no, I won't be using my thigh high stockings either.

Maybe the best use of the plastic bags would be to put them over the heads of those who are 'leading' California into the toilet.

Government pricks!

how about washing them? or using paper?

you people get worked up about the silliest stuff.

good for them banning plastic.

how long does it take a plastic bag to decompose? any idea?

What do they propose I use to pick up my dog's poo in if I can't use a plastic bag?

What do they propose I put my leaky raw chicken/beef/pork/fish in, if not a plastic bag?

What do they propose I tie onto my kids GI Joe doll in order to make a mock parachute?

Where is Kittenkoder to bash the shit out of this inane ban?

I wonder-----I wonder if the pro-pollution and pro-litter Republican party is still-----still in favor of fouling our environment or-----or have they finally coming to their senses.

California Plastic Bag Ban Would Be First Of Its Kind In The Nation
By Aaron Mendelson
Reuters
08/30/2014

<snip>

After the defeat of his earlier bill, Padilla won the support of some California-based bag makers by including the funding for retooling.

<snip>

BTW for the google challenged use biobags for picking up dog poo and putting raw chicken/beef/pork/fish in -pewsh!-

Now that I've solved Zoom-boing's dog poo problem, I wonder if Zoom-boing will post a "thank you Star" note on the M/B?

Forum List

Back