Calif appeals court upholds same-sex marriage ban

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
What a surprise. A judge who believes that a state legislature, and the state's voters, should actually have some say in how things are done in their state. Just because the Constitution says it should be that way. And this is in California, yet!

Have the gay advocates warmed up the tar and feathers yet?

--------------------------------

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/05/BAG4KLJAF24.DTL

Appeals court upholds same-sex marriage ban

Bob Egelko, Cecilia M. Vega and Wyatt Buchanan, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, October 5, 2006

(10-05) 15:40 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- Gays and lesbians have no constitutional right to marry in California, a right that can be granted only by state lawmakers or voters, a state appeals court ruled today.

The 2-1 decision, which reversed a San Francisco Superior Court judge's ruling, was a defeat for gay-rights advocates, who have looked to California courts to follow the lead of a 2003 ruling by Massachusetts' high court legalizing same-sex marriage in that state. The California Supreme Court is expected to have the final word in the case sometime next year.

In today's ruling, the Court of Appeal in San Francisco said the boundaries of marriage are up to the Legislature, which passed a law in 1977 defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman. State voters reaffirmed that decision in a 2000 initiative that denied recognition to same-sex marriages in other states.

"The Legislature and the voters of this state have determined that 'marriage' in California is an institution reserved for opposite-sex couples, and it makes no difference whether we agree with their reasoning,'' Presiding Justice William McGuiness said in the majority opinion.

Although California courts have recognized a fundamental right to marry, he said, it applies only to the right to marry a partner of the opposite sex. "That such a right is irrelevant to a lesbian or gay person does not mean the definition of the fundamental right can be expanded by the judicial branch beyond its traditional moorings,'' McGuiness said.

He also noted that California has passed laws that give registered domestic partners the same rights as married couples under state law, although those rights are not recognized by the federal government.

"We believe it is rational for the Legislature to preserve the opposite-sex definition of marriage, which has existed throughout history and which continues to represent the common understanding of marriage in most other countries and states of our union, while at the same time providing equal rights and benefits to same-sex partners,'' McGuiness said.

Wow, states should be able to regulate marriage? :shocked:

Although California courts have recognized a fundamental right to marry, he said, it applies only to the right to marry a partner of the opposite sex. "That such a right is irrelevant to a lesbian or gay person does not mean the definition of the fundamental right can be expanded by the judicial branch beyond its traditional moorings,'' McGuiness said.

I've been looking for these words for months. I couldn't have said it better, myself.

Wow... a republican appointee who rules against gay marriage... I'm shocked I tell ya... shocked. :thewave:

Boy... Ahhhhnold is gonna have to sleep in the garage for the next few weeks. Heh!

Wow... a republican appointee who rules against gay marriage... I'm shocked I tell ya... shocked. :thewave:

Boy... Ahhhhnold is gonna have to sleep in the garage for the next few weeks. Heh!

Nice response. By all means let's don't address the perfect logic presented by a justice who understands the bounds of his position.

In California no less....Great news. It's time the gays take the hint and stop trying to push their ridiculous phony gay "marriage" upon our country. They've lost and if they keep pushing they're going to lose even more than that.

Nice response. By all means let's don't address the perfect logic presented by a justice who understands the bounds of his position.

I have no problem with your agreement with Justice McGuiness. My only issue is with the pretense that his position is somehow apolitical. This game of pretend that it is done to somehow be true to the Constitution..... it's not intellectually honest.

Judges make their decisions first and, if they can without violating binding precedent and risk being reversed (judges HATE being reversed), they find the law that supports those positions and that's what they use in their decisions. ALL judges do this... dems, repubs, libs, righties....

if i remember correctly....all the judge did was uphold the law that was voted on and passed by the people of california

Yes so nice to know French and Sweedish law were not taken into account this time. :thup:

if i remember correctly....all the judge did was uphold the law that was voted on and passed by the people of california

That isn't the job of a judge making a constitutional determination. The fact of it being enacted is irrelevant to the question of constitutionality or every law, by definition, would be Constitutional.

Begs the question...

That isn't the job of a judge making a constitutional determination. The fact of it being enacted is irrelevant to the question of constitutionality or every law, by definition, would be Constitutional.

Begs the question...

Which "constitution" are you talking about...U.S or California?

Begs the question...

is there a law on the books that prevents gay marriage in california ....yes or no?

the mayor of san francsico decided that the law the people of california voted on was unconstitutional...true or false

local courts ruled all the marriages were illegal under the law...true or false

appealed that ruling and won

appealed that ruling and lost..court upheld the law.....

going to the supreme court...all yall still have a chance

is there a law on the books that prevents gay marriage in california ....yes or no?

the mayor of san francsico decided that the law the people of california voted on was unconstitutional...true or false

local courts ruled all the marriages were illegal under the law...true or false

appealed that ruling and won

appealed that ruling and lost..court upheld the law.....

going to the supreme court...all yall still have a chance

Again, the above has nothing to do with your implication that because the law was entitled to be upheld simply because it was enacted.

As for the Supreme Court.. RAFLMAO! THIS Court?!?!?! Not hardly... politics being what it is and all...

Again, the above has nothing to do with your implication that because the law was entitled to be upheld simply because it was enacted.

As for the Supreme Court.. RAFLMAO! THIS Court?!?!?! Not hardly... politics being what it is and all...

the law is the law as voted by the people until challenged in court, appealed and either upheld or overturned....the 5th circus court is sure to overturn the law...if not it would the first conservative rulling that i can recall

the law is the law as voted by the people until challenged in court, appealed and either upheld or overturned....the 5th circus court is sure to overturn the law...if not it would the first conservative rulling that i can recall

5th Circuit is N'Awlins... 9th Circuit is the one you guys whine about. Don't worry though, Scalia, Scalito and Thomas will make it ok for ya. ;)

5th Circuit is N'Awlins... 9th Circuit is the one you guys whine about. Don't worry though, Scalia, Scalito and Thomas will make it ok for ya. ;)

IMHO.....US supreme court will never hear it...marriage is a states thing not a federal thing .... 9th circus will overturn the law ....

IMHO.....US supreme court will never hear it...marriage is a states thing not a federal thing .... 9th circus will overturn the law ....

The Ninth will probably overturn it. But not to worry. The Supremes aren't going to pass up a chance to hear the case. Then Scalia, Scalito and Thomas will say its not an equal protection issue. End of story....

Forum List

Back