Cali Hi Speed Rail cost estimates now near $100 billion.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
California high speed rail should be cancelled, period. Not one more wasted tax dollar on this colossal mistake. Like a lot of massive government funded programs, it began with a big, fat lie to the people (Obamacare anyone?). The initial estimate for "bullet train" was around $3 billion. Now the estimates to complete are near $100 billion and who believes that number? California could have solved the homeless crisis in their state with the money they pissed away on the "Train To Nowhere".

One is being proposed in Texas. It does go somewhere though- Houston to the DFW area (initially) the picture being painted says nothing about costs (that I've seen), just how nice it'll be compared to flying-

One is being proposed in Texas. It does go somewhere though- Houston to the DFW area (initially) the picture being painted says nothing about costs (that I've seen), just how nice it'll be compared to flying-
I live in D-FW -- there is plenty of excitement about it and many who wants this rail done.....I am one of them...

I live in D-FW -- there is plenty of excitement about it and many who wants this rail done.....I am one of them...

The questions are as follows:

1. what will be the point to point travel time for the route?
2. what is the demand for the route?
3. will the travel time justify not taking a cheap airline hop from DFW to Houston?

The one thing they probably have going for them is getting the land in Texas would probably be easier than getting the land in California.

Phoenix put in light rail and I have to say, it is pretty great. But the cost was about $70 million per mile to build so get ready for a hefty price tag.

3. will the travel time justify not taking a cheap airline hop from DFW to Houston?

1) the claim is 90 minutes
2) build it they will come- lots of folks still drive even with the cheap flights (and personally, I will NEVER fly again since TSA was invented)
3) see no. 2 LOL

2) build it they will come- lots of folks still drive even with the cheap flights (and personally, I will NEVER fly again since TSA was invented)
3) see no. 2 LOL

"build it they will come" is pretty much hoping and praying.

3) see no. 2 LOL
Over the years I have read that the TSA was looking to expand to other realms of transportation. Traveling by train seems like a juicy target for them.

Forum List

Back