Cali Cops shoot unarmed 16 y.o.--racist?

IanC

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2009
Family Expresses Anger At Police During Vigil For Fatally Shot Teenager - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

RICHMOND, Calif. -- Dozens of people attended a vigil on Monday night for an East Bay teenager who was shot and killed by San Pablo Police over the weekend while questioning why officers would fire on the unarmed 16-year-old as he fled from authorities.

Officers said the shooting was justified, coming after a carjacking, gunfire, a police pursuit and a crash. But they also revealed that 16-year old Leonard Bradley was unarmed.

interesting case. unless the kid was shot in the back I would presume the shooting was justified.

I wonder if the dead kid was an honour student before he joined the gang, hijacked the car, shot at the occupants, crashed the car and fled from the police.

how is this racist.....

you don't buy into 'cops are racist every time they shoot a black male' scenario? personally I think the cops might be black simply because they weren't identified as white.

No, not racist.
Since, according to the article, it has been accepted that the individual in question did steal a car at gunpoint and that shots had been fired the police had reason to suspect the target had a gun.
Perhaps they fired in haste.
Perhaps the boy would one day be a productive member of society had they held their fire.
But in this case it seems they acted with due reason - human reaction time is considered to be around 0.25 seconds. Waiting to determine if the boy was readying a gun may have had lethal consequences for one or both officers as he might have shot before they could react.

Probable scenario - the suspect forgot he left the gun in the car and was attempting to dissuade pursuit with a couple of shots.

Forum List

Back