Calderón hints US should legalize drugs

'Have you ever heard of a single Mexican who died in the fight to smuggle drugs into Brazil or Argentina??'

There is no reason to smuggle drugs into Brazil or Argentina or for that matter any latin american country as they do very well with getting away with producing their own! Geez, people get a clue. The only reason Colombia won the battle on drugs so to speak, is because the USA was the one taking the lead in that battle.

Making drugs LEGAL will only produce MORE addicts!

Bullshit, it worked exactly the opposite way in Portugal.

Just because there is a drug problem in America is not reason to legalize drugs of any kind, but to stop the flow of drugs and stop the use of drugs. The reason we have a drug problem is because of drugs made available from Mexico.

actually it is a pretty good reason to decriminalize drugs...drugs should not be treated criminally but as a medical issue. No we don't have a problem because of drugs from Mexico....we have a problem from drugs period....drugs don't just come from Mexico but all over the world to the US.

José;4181766 said:
Originally posted by Angelhair
Of course Mr. Calderon, blame the USA - you and Hilary Clinton - that absolves you of trying to stop the slaughter of YOUR people by YOUR people!!! He fails to tell the world how many drug addicts Mexico and all the latin american countries have! The difference being that in the USA they deal with dollars and not with pesos.

You just proved Calderon's point...

Mexico's drug related violence is generated by criminal organisations trying to smuggle narcotics into a huge market where they get paid in dollars not in Latin American weak currency.

Have you ever heard of a single Mexican who died in the fight to smuggle drugs into Brazil or Argentina??

Mexico is doing not one thing to stop the drug war and YOU know it. Calderon is letting the cartels kill each other. That is not justice that is vigilante justice. That type of justice is of a criminal mind. The drug related violence generated in Mexico is due to their lack of justice, the poverty, the misery of the people for decades and decades. These people turn to the cartels for their livelihood. Is it any wonder that the dollar is, in their minds, the means to an end? The fact that the almighty dollar is in your mind and Calderon's mind the reason for the violence, is why Mexico has lost the war forever. Until Mexico realizes that it must do something for their people to bring them out of the poverty and misery that they are in and have been for decades and decades, the almighty dollar will ALWAYS be the means to the end - but the USA is not responsible for that! In all the centuries of Mexico's existence, they have yet to get it right. Until the people see that Mexico brings these criminals to justice in MEXICO and in a court of LAW and punished by either execution or life in prison, the cartels will continue to war and the takeover of Mexico. Why is it that most of those captured are extradited to the USA for justice to be served? Mexico has a long, long way to go before it will ever be safe for their people and tourists.

Mexico is doing not one thing to stop the drug war and YOU know it. Calderon is letting the cartels kill each other. That is not justice that is vigilante justice. That type of justice is of a criminal mind. The drug related violence generated in Mexico is due to their lack of justice, the poverty, the misery of the people for decades and decades. These people turn to the cartels for their livelihood. Is it any wonder that the dollar is, in their minds, the means to an end? The fact that the almighty dollar is in your mind and Calderon's mind the reason for the violence, is why Mexico has lost the war forever. Until Mexico realizes that it must do something for their people to bring them out of the poverty and misery that they are in and have been for decades and decades, the almighty dollar will ALWAYS be the means to the end - but the USA is not responsible for that! In all the centuries of Mexico's existence, they have yet to get it right. Until the people see that Mexico brings these criminals to justice in MEXICO and in a court of LAW and punished by either execution or life in prison, the cartels will continue to war and the takeover of Mexico. Why is it that most of those captured are extradited to the USA for justice to be served? Mexico has a long, long way to go before it will ever be safe for their people and tourists.

Here's a thought experience for the members of the US Message Board:

What would happen to the mexican drug cartels, to drug related violence in Mexico, if someday, the US and a dirt poor 4th world country like Somalia switched geographic locations?

Let's imagine that the USA is magically transported to the Horn of Africa and Somalia mysteriously finds itself in the middle of North America having Mexico as its neighbor.

The huge american drug market is suddenly replaced by a giant slum/refugee camp, by a population in a desperate state of starvation, people who don't enough money to buy food let alone drugs living in a territory where the state has simply disintegrated, a "country" without a functioning state, bordering on total social chaos.

What would happen to the drug cartels created along the US-Mexico border to smuggle drugs into America?

That's a no-brainer.

Without the huge US drug market the mexican cartels would disband themselves overnight and the drug war currently being waged in northern Mexico would immediately come to an end.

Again...

I'm not blaming America for the drug war in Mexico...

1 - America cannot be blamed for her geographic location (something no country had any control), for being Mexico's next door neighbor.

2 - America has every right to outlaw the sale of narcotics...

This is a sovereign right every nation on Earth has... whether these laws are good or bad for the US IS A LEGITIMATE BUT TOTALLY SEPARATE DEBATE.

These laws may be good or bad, beneficial or harmful to the US but the fact remains that America does have the sovereign right to keep drugs illegal.

Mexico must respect the sovereign right of America to keep drugs illegal (not that an underdeveloped country would be able to "strongarm" an economic colossus like America anyway :D) and try to do its best to expel the drug cartels from its territory (they won't "disapear" as long as there is a consumer market for their "products". They will obviously set up shop somewhere else in the american continent (Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Haiti... who knows?). But THAT wouldn't be Mexico's problem anymore).

Unlike the super patriotic american clown known as Angelhair I don't crucify any country for its geographical location on the planet or due to the sovereign laws they decide to create.

Because the reason most people do not use drugs is because it is ILLEGAL.

Wrong...if that were true why did drug use in Portugal go DOWN when drugs were decriminalized? No one who wants to use drugs is detained from doing so by illegality, in fact drugs are probably more readily available on the black market than they would be if legal and beyond that drugs are mixed with god knows what right now where if controled by standards would be much safer.

Last edited:
José;4187578 said:

Here's a thought experience for the members of the US Message Board:

What would happen to the mexican drug cartels, to drug related violence in Mexico, if someday, the US and a dirt poor 4th world country like Somalia switched geographic locations?

Let's imagine that the USA is magically transported to the Horn of Africa and Somalia mysteriously finds itself in the middle of North America having Mexico as its neighbor.

The huge american drug market is suddenly replaced by a giant slum/refugee camp, by a population in a desperate state of starvation, people who don't enough money to buy food let alone drugs living in a territory where the state has simply disintegrated, a "country" without a functioning state, bordering on total social chaos.

What would happen to the drug cartels created along the US-Mexico border to smuggle drugs into America?

That's a no-brainer.

Without the huge US drug market the mexican cartels would disband themselves overnight and the drug war currently being waged in northern Mexico would immediately come to an end.

All moot points and purely subjective on your part.....but......without the 'huge' U.S. drug market the mexican cartels would put their vision in another industrialized nation.....i.e. Canada......or in any country that is worth more in money than is Mexico.....and that just might be in some countries in latin america that also have huge drug problems. IT IS THEIR LIVELIHOOD AND THEY WILL GO WHEREVER THE MONEY IS. Therefore, if the drug problem in the USA ceased to exist these drug cartels would find another country to supply and to make their money. MEXICO HAS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF EXTREME POVERTY AND MISERY AND LAWLESSNESS AND CORRUPTION. That is what they should put more fucus on and stop looking to constantly blame the USA for their ills. I do think that it is their ineptness that keeps them blaming the USA. This way they don't have to focus on problem solving - just throw it across the border and let the USA solve it. BTW Jose, if I am the 'big american clown' I would say that you are the 'big mexican clown'.

José;4181786 said:
Originally posted by SW2SILVER
Mexicans come to the States for jobs Mexico doesn’t have. Mexicans fill in the void were drugs are concerned, there isn't much those poor bastards WON'T do. Mexican officials are corrupt. Mexico has a long list of deficits, and they don’t seem to have many assets. Who's fault is THAT? We just happen to live NEXT door to these creep-os'. That is our biggest fault.

You just happen to have the biggest army of drug addicts in the world... with an insatiable appetite for just about every illegal substance capable of producing altered states of consciousness in humans.

THAT IS YOUR BIGGEST FAULT!!

I just happen to have the biggest army of drug addicts? I do ? WOW, I never knew how much power I had! Come on, bukko, this is one of those “which came first, the chicken or the egg” thing. America does need to recognize drug consumption as a health issue, not rectified by simply outlawing certain substances. And on the same note, Mexico (notice I didn’t say “YOU”), has a equal and concurrent problem sustaining it’s own populace that results in massive corruption. THAT is endemic to that particular culture now , they can’t blame the Yankee diablos for that.

I just happen to have the biggest army of drug addicts? I do ? WOW, I never knew how much power I had!

LOL... you're so drunk you don't even remember what you typed the day before!!

Read your own post you said "we" (meaning the US).

All moot points and purely subjective on your part.....but......without the 'huge' U.S. drug market the mexican cartels would put their vision in another industrialized nation.....i.e. Canada......or in any country that is worth more in money than is Mexico.....and that just might be in some countries in latin america that also have huge drug problems. IT IS THEIR LIVELIHOOD AND THEY WILL GO WHEREVER THE MONEY IS. Therefore, if the drug problem in the USA ceased to exist these drug cartels would find another country to supply and to make their money.

Totally wrong!!

In my thought experiment Mexico would border ONLY 3 underdeveloped countries (Somalia to the north, Guatemala and Belize to the south). There are more drug addicts in the US than the entire population of those 3 countries combined!

With no geographically close drug market to supply the mexican cartels would be finished in less than a weak.

Maybe a Somali drug cartel would supply narcotics to Canada's much smaller drug market but the MEXICAN drug cartels would definitely go the way of the dodo.

And on the same note, Mexico (notice I didn’t say “YOU”), has a equal and concurrent problem sustaining it’s own populace that results in massive corruption. THAT is endemic to that particular culture now , they can’t blame the Yankee diablos for that.

MEXICO HAS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM OF EXTREME POVERTY AND MISERY AND LAWLESSNESS AND CORRUPTION.

It is true that it's easier for drug organisations to operate from underdeveloped countries. That's why the drug is supplied by Mexican not Canadian drug cartels.

But what kind of heartless monster blames a nation for having all the typical problems of third world countries (poverty, corruption)?

Mexico didn't choose to be a (relatively) poor country anymore than the USA chose to have 16 million drug addicts.

Nixon launched the modern war on drugs in 71, and here we are, 40 years later, still debating the huge problem of drug addiction in America and its side effects on neighboring countries.

Maybe Mexico will never be able to win the "war" on poverty, corruption and drug cartels but in this case the country will be in the excellent company of the US of A and its miserable failure also known as the "war on drugs".

BTW Jose, if I am the 'big american clown' I would say that you are the 'big mexican clown'.

How could I be a super patriotic mexican clown?

1 - I'm not mexican.

2 - I don't blame America for the drug war in Mexico cause I don't think it's fair to blame any country for its geographic proximity and sovereign laws regarding drugs.

I'm willing to compare my fair treatment of the USA with your endless lynching of Mexico.

Any impartial observer with at least 2 fuctioning neurons would be able to tell, between the two of us, who's the serious, impartial political thinker and who's the totally out-of-control super patriotic clown with massive amounts of bias towards one side.

Last edited:
Another journalist killed in Mexico...
:eek:
Mexico Newspaper Editor Found Decapitated
25 Sept.`11 - Castro was the editor in chief of the Primera Hora newspaper; Earlier this month, attackers left threats next to two other bodies; Attorney general's office calls the deaths "lamentable acts"
The editor of a Mexican newspaper was found dead, her body decapitated and with a note next to it, officials said. Maria Elizabeth Macias Castro, 39, was the editor in chief of the newspaper, Primera Hora. Her body was found Saturday morning, according to the attorney general's office in the northern Tamaulipas state. A message "attributed to a criminal group" was found next to her, the office said.

"The state government expresses its deepest condolences to the relatives and loved ones affected by these lamentable acts," the office said, adding that it is investigating. Earlier this month, attackers left ominous threats mentioning two websites on signs beside mutilated bodies in northern Mexico.

A woman was hogtied and disemboweled. Attackers left her topless, dangling by her feet and hands from a bridge in the border city of Nuevo Laredo. A bloodied man next to her was hanging by his hands, his right shoulder severed so deeply the bone was visible. Signs left near the bodies declared the pair, both apparently in their 20s, were killed for posting denouncements of drug cartel activities.

Police find decapitated body of Mexico newspaper editor - CNN.com

Jose, what heartless clown blames other countries for it's own problems? Seems that there is a lot of THAT going around here. 12 million illegal aliens from Mexico, that I blame Mexico for. I can love
ya like a brother, I can overlook a few mistakes. But, 12 million mistakes is stretching the point.

Last edited:
What did anyone expect it was the drug gangs that made him El Presidente. Just like Pakistan he'll take our money with one hand and stab us in the back with the other! The U.S. government is trying to destroy us from the inside.

In Boston in 1776 they said this, “An attempt of a wicked government trying to enslave America.”

T = taxed
E = enough
A = already!

Jose, what heartless clown blames other countries for it's own problems? Seems that there is a lot of THAT going around here. 12 million illegal aliens from Mexico, that I blame Mexico for. I can love
ya like a brother, I can overlook a few mistakes. But, 12 million mistakes is stretching the point.

interesting that you think all illegal immigrants are from Mexico..since there are a total of 12 million illegal immigrants in the US where in the world did you get your information, please provide the link..that all illegals are Mexican?

Wolf, half of illegal immigrants are from Mexico, the other half are not..those present in the US and living here are a total of 12 million. So your silly little link is not valid.

'How could I be a super patriotic mexican clown?

1 - I'm not mexican.

Okay - make that a hispanic patriotic clown.

Forum List

Back