Cain's "sexual harassment" verses Obama's

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Well on the one hand we have Cain who we know for a fact said "something" to "someone" (some-three?) sometime in the decade of grunge rock and "Must See TV" that made them very uncomfortable (and rich).

On the other hand we have President Obama who said, well... all this:

(Hat tip for all of the links to Jim Treacher)

The Page - by Mark Halperin - TIME

It may be April Fools Day, but Sen. Barack Obama was acting like it was Valentine’s Day. He was in full charm mode while touring the Tama&#8232;Manufacturing plant, a JC Penny supplier of made-in-the-USA clothing in Allentown.

Obama was especially flirtatious today, winking and grinning at the female workers who were swooning behind their cell phone cameras…

During the 25-minute tour, Obama called a woman ‘sweetie,’ and thanked her in spanish…

But Obama lavished compliments on dancewear manufacturer Marisa Cerveris, who gave him a black and pink leotard for Malia and Sasha, explaining she was once in the New York City ballet.

&#8232;“You look like you might be a dancer,” Obama told her, later adding: “You’re big time.”&#8232;

“You’re gorgeous,” he told Cerveris after glancing at one of her old ballet photos.

Sen. Barack Obama approached first overflow in the parking lot outside of the Scranton town hall, and immediately went to Denise Mercuri, a pharmacist from Dunmore who was wearing a Hillary Clinton button. She held an Obama button in her hand, and he asked what he needed to do to get her to wear his instead of his rival’s.

“What do I need to do? Do you want me on my knees?” he asked. He then conceded, keeping with his flirty trend of the day (see earlier report), “I’ll give you a kiss.”

Links to Time and CNN

And there is of course, this...

Ron Suskind Interview:

Is the White House a difficult place for women to work and feel comfortable?

There is no doubt that the White House, through 2009 into 2010, based on my reporting, was a difficult workplace for women…It was at least in significant measure subordinate to wider management problems in the building. People naturally gathered the way they have gathered for some time, the men-with-the-men and women-with-the-women model. People were often left out of meetings and they felt aggrieved, many of the women did, especially when they were meetings that were all men.

Must not forget this to:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-was-intense/2011/09/19/gIQA9OUygK_story.html

Friction about the roles of women in the Obama White House grew so intense during the first two years of the president’s tenure that he was forced to take steps to reassure senior women on his staff that he valued their presence and their input.

At a dinner in November 2009, several senior female aides complained directly to the president that men enjoyed greater access to him and often muscled them out of key policy discussions.

Thanks for all your work Jim. :clap2:

African-American politician&#8217;s treatment of women questioned | The Daily Caller

Ouch!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-and-ignored/2011/09/16/gIQAAOSSXK_print.html

“This place would be in court for a hostile workplace,” former White House communications director Anita Dunn is quoted as saying. “Because it actually fit all of the classic legal requirements for a genuinely hostile workplace to women.”

“I felt like a piece of meat,” Christina Romer, former head of the Council of Economic Advisers, said of one meeting in which Suskind writes she was “boxed out” by Summers.
“The president has a real woman problem,” an unnamed high-ranking female official told Suskind. “ The idea of the boys’ club being just Larry and Rahm isn’t really fair. He [Obama] was just as responsible himself.”

Hmm

Succinctly, the difference between Cain's harassment and Obama's is that multiple women have credibly accused Cain of harassment and zero women have credibly accused Obama.

For the record, I would not enjoy being called "sweetie" by a man I didn't know, but it is not harassment, in and of itself.

Succinctly, the difference between Cain's harassment and Obama's is that multiple women have credibly accused Cain of harassment and zero women have credibly accused Obama.

For the record, I would not enjoy being called "sweetie" by a man I didn't know, but it is not harassment, in and of itself.

I don't know if Christina Romer or Anita Dunn (per the last example) are credible sources or not but it's hard to see what they have to gain by lying. (as opposed to Cain's two actual accusers)

Not even knowing what Cain is accused of makes the whole thing even more silly than the usual scandal of the week. So far Cain is only credibly accused of having been accused.

This doesn't surprise me of either Obama or Cain. Really,

Least surprising of all is the media treatment subjected to each. It brings to mind an old SNL skit about sexual harassment with President Obama in the Tom Brady roll...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZlLDGs604]SNL - Sexual Harassment and You - YouTube.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

:lol:

Last edited:

What's "credible" about them? We don't even know what they have claimed Cain did.

If being called "sweetie" is not harassment, then why is saying your as tall as my wife who is "this high" and making a gesture showing her height?

Do you turds actually believe the absurd shit you post in this forum?

I don't know if Christina Romer or Anita Dunn (per the last example) are credible sources or not but it's hard to see what they have to gain by lying. (as opposed to Cain's two actual accusers)

Not even knowing what Cain is accused of makes the whole thing even more silly than the usual scandal of the week. So far Cain is only credibly accused of having been accused.

Dunn and Romer are fairly credible. Neither accuses Obama of sexual harassment, through Suskind's book or otherwise. Both deny Suskind's characterizations on the record: Ron Suskind book on White House: Quotes or misquotes? - BlogPost - The Washington Post

Dunn and Romer are fairly credible. Neither accuses Obama of sexual harassment, through Suskind's book or otherwise. Both deny Suskind's characterizations on the record: Ron Suskind book on White House: Quotes or misquotes? - BlogPost - The Washington Post

That is largely correct according to what I've read though there is a reason the OP put the words "sexual harassment" in quotes. Neither Cain nor Obama have been convicted (if that's the right word) of sexual harassment. I was simply pointing out the usual media hypocrisy for standards of proof when politicians face the court of public opinion.

Suskind got the actual quote 100% right but the context is debatable of course.

"Hostile Workplace" Quote Verified on Tape

One of the most striking quotes in Ron Suskind's Confidence Men comes from former White House communications director Anita Dunn who was quoted as saying that, "this place would be in court for a hostile workplace... Because it actually fit all of the classic legal requirements for a genuinely hostile workplace to women."

Dunn insisted to the Washington Post she was quoted out of context and said that she told the author "point blank" that the White House was not a hostile work environment.

However, Suskind allowed a reporter to review a recorded excerpt of the original interview, which shows Dunn saying the same thing quoted in the book, though she excluded President Obama from the characterization.

:rolleyes:

If Obama were guilty of being a serial rapist it wouldn't affect in any way, shape or form whether or not Cain is guilty of sexual harassment.

Nice try, though.

Oh for the love of Pete, Cheese and rice... According to even the above things about Obama... and from what I have read about the Cain circumstances there are NO flippin' logical grounds for ANY sexual harrassment case! :evil: These were NOT situations where anything was said more than what could be seen as complimentary banter.

I just don't get it, obviously. Women (and men) today want to flaunt all they have, boast loudly and proudly that they are beautifully made and successful and YET NO ONE best be attracted to them or their way... NO ONE best say ANYTHING sexually alluring toward them NO NEVERMIND most of the time it is more about WHO says WHAT rather than WHAT is said AT ALL.

:evil: There is a complete lack common courtesy, granted, but it seriously has come to rival the massive lack of common sense. :evil:

No one should be groped, touched, manipulated, coerced, "pushed" into a sexual encounter that isn't of their liking... but OMGorsh, these men are being put through the proverbial wringer for being healthy red blooded men who appreciate WOmen! *hearts*

Well on the one hand we have Cain who we know for a fact said "something" to "someone" (some-three?) sometime in the decade of grunge rock and "Must See TV" that made them very uncomfortable (and rich).

On the other hand we have President Obama who said, well... all this:

(Hat tip for all of the links to Jim Treacher)

It may be April Fools Day, but Sen. Barack Obama was acting like it was Valentine&#8217;s Day. He was in full charm mode while touring the Tama&#8232;Manufacturing plant, a JC Penny supplier of made-in-the-USA clothing in Allentown.

Obama was especially flirtatious today, winking and grinning at the female workers who were swooning behind their cell phone cameras&#8230;

During the 25-minute tour, Obama called a woman &#8216;sweetie,&#8217; and thanked her in spanish&#8230;

But Obama lavished compliments on dancewear manufacturer Marisa Cerveris, who gave him a black and pink leotard for Malia and Sasha, explaining she was once in the New York City ballet.

&#8232;&#8220;You look like you might be a dancer,&#8221; Obama told her, later adding: &#8220;You&#8217;re big time.&#8221;&#8232;

&#8220;You&#8217;re gorgeous,&#8221; he told Cerveris after glancing at one of her old ballet photos.

Sen. Barack Obama approached first overflow in the parking lot outside of the Scranton town hall, and immediately went to Denise Mercuri, a pharmacist from Dunmore who was wearing a Hillary Clinton button. She held an Obama button in her hand, and he asked what he needed to do to get her to wear his instead of his rival&#8217;s.

&#8220;What do I need to do? Do you want me on my knees?&#8221; he asked. He then conceded, keeping with his flirty trend of the day (see earlier report), &#8220;I&#8217;ll give you a kiss.&#8221;

Links to Time and CNN

flirting is not harassment.
he was not in a power position versus that woman.
she didn't seem to be complaining.

sad

Oh for the love of Pete, Cheese and rice... According to even the above things about Obama... and from what I have read about the Cain circumstances there are NO flippin' logical grounds for ANY sexual harrassment case! :evil: These were NOT situations where anything was said more than what could be seen as complimentary banter.

I just don't get it, obviously. Women (and men) today want to flaunt all they have, boast loudly and proudly that they are beautifully made and successful and YET NO ONE best be attracted to them or their way... NO ONE best say ANYTHING sexually alluring toward them NO NEVERMIND most of the time it is more about WHO says WHAT rather than WHAT is said AT ALL.

:evil: There is a complete lack common courtesy, granted, but it seriously has come to rival the massive lack of common sense. :evil:

No one should be groped, touched, manipulated, coerced, "pushed" into a sexual encounter that isn't of their liking... but OMGorsh, these men are being put through the proverbial wringer for being healthy red blooded men who appreciate WOmen! *hearts*

you haven't read anything about the cain case. the woman is barred by a confidentiality agreement while cain is making inconsistent, self-serving statements.

Well, now see, Jillian honey... I have indeed read that elsewhere... It just seems to me that while she would have very little to loose but much to gain, whereas Cain would have a great deal to loose and little to gain... Barring her from adding salt to the obvious injury to his political stance only makes the best of sense and it would even if I came across information that would make me more suspicious of his behavior.

In the world of politics... the same rules cannot apply as the ones for common folk. Successful politicians CANNOT be common, it would work against their necessary success. AND the most successful of politicians is what will determine a most successful country. *hearts*

Forum List

Back