Cain tax plan shifts tax burden from the rich to the poor

How many believe that the current tax system will be replaced with the "9-9-9" system or that it's just gonna' be added on top of what we pay now?

Herman Cains entire campaign and popularity rides on "replacing the IRS code with that 9-9-9 system".

Don't be fooled: It's a Conservative version of "Hope and Change".

I would not support the Cain plan unless there was a guarantee built into it not to raise taxes ever. That means I oppose it.

Cain's 9-9-9 plan is a transitional plan to the Fair Tax. He has said so repeatedly on the Neal Boortz radio show.

How many believe that the current tax system will be replaced with the "9-9-9" system or that it's just gonna' be added on top of what we pay now?

Herman Cains entire campaign and popularity rides on "replacing the IRS code with that 9-9-9 system".

Don't be fooled: It's a Conservative version of "Hope and Change".

I would not support the Cain plan unless there was a guarantee built into it not to raise taxes ever. That means I oppose it.

Cain's 9-9-9 plan is a transitional plan to the Fair Tax. He has said so repeatedly on the Neal Boortz radio show.

My problem is that by giving the government the power to impose a sales tax and an income tax at the same time will eventually lead to them taxing the entire system to sustain their favored programs. I want a cap on spending that forces cuts, and revenue restrictions that are impossible to skirt around.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how Cain's plan effects the middle class and the poor, it only takes simple math and a unbiased mind that has been stolen by ideology.
9-9-9=a higher tax ratio of the middle class's income that goes to taxes than the wealthy.
Yes, they all pay 9% in income taxes, but the sales tax is the killer for the middlle class and the poor as those groups spend a higher percentage of their expendable income on necessities like food, utilities, clothing, energy, education, medical needs; etc, than the upper percentile. That equals a higher overall tax rate.

Last edited:
Cain's 999 plan says that three quaters of congress is needed to raise any part of 999 plan.
The more you spend the more you pay in tax under the sales tax.
The rich spends plenty and they will pay more than the rest of us.
And the 999 plan will change to a flat sales tax.

How does Cain's tax plan shift ANYTHING to "the poor". Must be that "liberal math" at work again.

EVERYBODY pays the same tax percentage. How is that unfair?

"Poor" people usually have NO INCOME. They survive on government handouts, and if they DO work, they work at low-paying jobs. So the 9% tax on income would not apply, or would be negligible.

"Poor" people certainly don't own corporations, so the 9% corporate tax would not apply.

"Poor" people would only have to pay a 9% sales tax on certain items they purchase.............a tax that EVERYBODY.........rich, poor, black, white, fat, skinny, male, female, etc..........would have to pay.

TELL THE TRUTH, lefties. After your bodies and brains go through the initial "withdrawal" phase, you may actually get used to being HONEST and having some INTEGRITY.

How does it shift anything to the poor????? Are you serious?????? Or maybe you didn't get the memo that 47% don't pay any taxes. That 47% would be paying 9% under 999. That's called a "tax increase" when you go from 0% to 9%. They would also be paying another 9% on purchases and since many live paycheck to paycheck, that would essentially be another 9% which would mean an increase from 0% to 18%

The reason EVERYBODY paying the same percentage of taxes isn't fair is because that is not what would happen under 999. If everybody paid 9% of their income in taxes then the lower you income the higher percentage of that income would be going to taxes. (note, I'm one of those liberals who speaks the truth, so when I say "taxes" it means just that, taxes. It doesn't mean just income taxes, it means all taxes)

Last edited:
bigtaxcut.png

How does Cain's tax plan shift ANYTHING to "the poor". Must be that "liberal math" at work again.

EVERYBODY pays the same tax percentage. How is that unfair?

"Poor" people usually have NO INCOME. They survive on government handouts, and if they DO work, they work at low-paying jobs. So the 9% tax on income would not apply, or would be negligible.

"Poor" people certainly don't own corporations, so the 9% corporate tax would not apply.

"Poor" people would only have to pay a 9% sales tax on certain items they purchase.............a tax that EVERYBODY.........rich, poor, black, white, fat, skinny, male, female, etc..........would have to pay.

TELL THE TRUTH, lefties. After your bodies and brains go through the initial "withdrawal" phase, you may actually get used to being HONEST and having some INTEGRITY.

How does it shift anything to the poor????? Are you serious?????? Or maybe you didn't get the memo that 47% don't pay any taxes. That 47% would be paying 9% under 999. That's called a "tax increase" when you go from 0% to 9%. They would also be paying another 9% on purchases and since many live paycheck to paycheck, that would essentially be another 9% which would mean an increase from 0% to 18%

The reason EVERYBODY paying the same percentage of taxes isn't fair is because that is not what would happen under 999. If everybody paid 9% of their income in taxes then the lower you income the higher percentage of that income would be going to taxes. (note, I'm one of those liberals who speaks the truth, so when I say "taxes" it means just that, taxes. It doesn't mean just income taxes, it means all taxes)

Yes, it is terrible those making 80k need government assistance for medical. Remember the kids medical program? Buy a pack of smokes the kids need the money.

OK, I figured SOMEBODY would have noticed the "elephant in the room" before now, but nobody did, so I'll do it.

The title of this topic is "Cain tax plan shifts tax burden from the rich to the poor".

So, the lefties are FINALLY admitting that the TAX BURDEN is CURRENTLY on the RICH!.

Thanks, lefties. It's about time you told the TRUTH! Your "class warfare" game is now OVER.

Raising taxes on one group of Americans based on where they are on the economic scale is you guys' definition of class warfare, right?

Keep it simple stupid. Just impose a flat tax on everyone. No excuses, no exemptions, and no deductions. Then by golly class war ceases. Period.

We can only wish. But there are these people called liberals who have very odd defintions of fair. For example several of them on here readily admit they don't think it's fair for those earning so little income to have 'frivolous' burdens put on them like paying taxes. I am not completely oppossed to a minimal exemption like Full Auto mentioned above as long as it applies to everyone.

Unfortunately Cain's plan woud likely not make it into law. Change moves at a snails pace in Washington and it simply isn't possible to get the votes that would bring about any type of revolutionary change.

Last edited:

My problem is that by giving the government the power to impose a sales tax and an income tax at the same time will eventually lead to them taxing the entire system to sustain their favored programs. I want a cap on spending that forces cuts, and revenue restrictions that are impossible to skirt around.

QW, the devil is in the details. Unfortunately, debates are limited to x amount of time per response and the candidates never fully get to explain their ideas and policies. People hear the "pizza man" say he has a 9-9-9 deal where business and people each pay 9% and plus a 9% sales tax and then jump to say why it sounds dumb and won't work. Cain has thought the program thru and there is much more under the surface. He simply doesn't have time to explain it in detail during a debate and the media is too damned lazy to put enough information out to their customers for comparison and contrast. We end up having to do that individually thru our own personal research and lets face it, many Americans are too lazy to do that for themselves. Cain's plan calls for something like 2/3rd's or 3/4th's vote in Congress to increase any element of the tax. It isn't as simple as one party or the other having a simple majority changing it.

I'll take the 9-9-9 along with Cain's other proposals and add a balanced budget amendment.

Whadawe got to lose compared to the current tax cluster F? Adopt it, review it after, say, 2 and 5 years and perhaps add some tweaks if needed. We have to do something and at least this is one politician with a bold alternative and willing to make it the cornerstone of his campaign. That's real hope and change in my book.

this way we're all equally taxed. good deal, no bitchin

So you believe the poor are undertaxed. So you'd support the candidate most likely to raise taxes on the poor?

How can you say that when the poor are being taxed right now at 15%?
IRS Tax table for 2011 has a single person making 8,500.00 tax is 15%.
Under Cain it would be 9%.
because right now, nearly the first 10k per person is tax exempt, with the standard deduction and personal exemption.

NO ONE NOW pays any taxes on the first 10 k they earn, $20k is exempt on a couple with no children, and with children even more.....

and also, the lowest tax bracket is 10% NOT 15%, and anything made over and above the 10k that is tax exempted is taxed at 10%, up to about 8k i believe, then above that, your money is taxed at 15%, up to about 50k i believe....

so 50%-60% of Americans would see a tax HIKE, BIG TIME, if his plan goes through, while the wealthiest would see a HUGE TAX REDUCTION.

THERE IS NO WAY AROUND IT! that's what his tax does.

Mr. Cain made it clear Wednesday his plan remained a work in progress. Visiting Concord, N.H., he added several new wrinkles. He would preserve the deduction for charitable donations, making the flat income tax not so flat; he would exempt any used goods, including previously owned homes and cars, from the national sales tax; and he would allow businesses to deduct new equipment purchases from their 9% corporate income tax, as long as the goods were U.S.-made.

Asked how that would apply to a computer designed domestically but containing Malaysian components and assembled in China, he replied, "I have no idea."

Cain's 9-9-9 Plan Gets a Closer Look - WSJ.com

lol

I admire his honesty. I like him more for giving that answer.

So you believe the poor are undertaxed. So you'd support the candidate most likely to raise taxes on the poor?

because right now, nearly the first 10k per person is tax exempt, with the standard deduction and personal exemption.

NO ONE NOW pays any taxes on the first 10 k they earn, $20k is exempt on a couple with no children, and with children even more.....

and also, the lowest tax bracket is 10% NOT 15%, and anything made over and above the 10k that is tax exempted is taxed at 10%, up to about 8k i believe, then above that, your money is taxed at 15%, up to about 50k i believe....

so 50%-60% of Americans would see a tax HIKE, BIG TIME, if his plan goes through, while the wealthiest would see a HUGE TAX REDUCTION.

You're right. And the unfairness of that is what exactly?

raising taxes on the middle class....50% of America....

Are you for raising taxes?

Typical Republican...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Herman Cain has a plan to radically reform the nation's tax system and make things a lot simpler for taxpayers.

Problem is, it could end up adding to the deficit and shifting the tax burden away from the wealthy and onto the poor, according to some leading tax experts.

Cain, who's recently moved up in the polls to become one of the leading Republican presidential candidates, is basing much of his campaign on what he calls the 9-9-9 plan, which would get rid of almost all current taxes and replace them with a 9% flat tax on income, a 9% flat corporate tax and a 9% national sales tax.

Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan: Break for the rich? - Oct. 11, 2011

RepubliCON$ trickle down = Gush UP!!!

Cain's Nein! Nein! Nein! plan simply doesn't. make. sense.

raising taxes on the middle class....50% of America....

Are you for raising taxes?

I'm for the 47% of Americans who currently pay no taxes actually paying something.

I'm looking at the 2009 tax table right now:

Single, 8500 in TAXABLE income - tax is 860 dollars. That's effectively 10%. Keep in mind,

that's after deductions/exemptions/etc. Cain taxes your GROSS INCOME. That, roughly speaking, is the earnings line off your W-2. Compare that to the line where you finally get to your TAXABLE INCOME.

Also keep in mind how much in deductions you get for having children. Cain takes away all of that.

And then, add in the 9% tax on almost everything you buy.

Ok. 9% of OUR gross income right off the W2 is WAY LESS than what we have been paying. We already pay 9% sales tax in Washington on everything except food. So... sounds good to me. Except part of my income is as an independent contractor so I have to pay my own social security and Medicare out of that, so MY tax bracket as an independent or self-employed is MORE.

Forum List

Back