Cain: Republicans are too bigoted to vote for Romney

Apr 17, 2011
At least Republicans are getting honest about their bigotry.

Republican presidential primary candidate Herman Cain says front-runner Mitt Romney cannot win the party’s White House nomination next year because of his religion.

“Romney would be a good choice, but I don’t believe he can win,” Mr. Cain told editors and reporters of The Washington Times.

[...]

“I know the South, and you have to win the South. Mitt Romney did not win it when he ran against John McCain” in the 2008 primaries, said Mr. Cain. “The reason he will have a difficult time winning the South this time is because when he ran the first time, he did not do a good job of communicating his religion. It doesn’t bother me, but I know it is an issue with a lot of Southerners.”

The South is heavily populated with evangelicals, fundamentalists and other traditionalist-leaning Christians who widely consider Mr. Romney’s church not to be a Christian sect. They claim it either denies or unrecognizably redefines such Christian doctrines as the Trinity, original sin, the atonement, the continuity of the church and the canon of Scripture. Denouncing Mormonism is a staple of some Christian TV and radio programs and networks.
Herman Cain: Mitt Romney Can’t Win GOP Primary Because Southerners Are Bigots | Firedoglake

And so much for defending the Constitution with your false bravado.
No Religious Test Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back