Cailifornia experiencing quake spike over past 72 hours ring of fire experts on alert

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
California has been rocked by an earthquake measure 5.8 magnitude, with a 5.0 shock following just minutes later in a day of seismic activity along the Ring of Fire which has put Californians on alert for the Big One. The first shock measured 5.8 magnitude with a second 5.1 shock following shortly afterward. The most recent quake happened at 5.24pm GMT, or 9.24am local time, while the previous quake

California experiencing quake spike over past 72 hours – Ring of Fire experts on Alert!
---------------------------------------------------

Well I guess people are getting nervous since an article a day is coming out not to mention fairly good sized quakes taking place all over the place not just the US. Eeeeh maybe it's just those asteroids shaking things up a bit.
Either way we better hope that dam super volcano doesn't blow lmao.

Years ago i bought some land north of Kingman, AZ. Its as flat as a kitchen table and has less vegetation. It will make a fantastic beach resort when California slides off into the ocean.
Maybe I should offer presales on lots now...

Earthquakes occur around the Ring of Fire on a daily basis, but the recent string of quakes and eruptions sparked talk of an uptick, with the UN's Office for Disaster Risk Reduction tweeting that the Ring of Fire was "active".

cd2b4ca0590ab124cd4e0ed841adff23b082d831.jpg
AFP/File / Alain BOMMENEL, Laurence SAUBADUThe Pacific Ring of Fire
"The Pacific rim is in a period of activity," acknowledged Toshiyasu Nagao, head of Tokai University's Earthquake Prediction Research Centre.

"In terms of volcanic history, however, the current activity is still regarded as normal," he told AFP.

"It's not referred to as the 'ring of fire' because it sits there doing nothing... it is normal to have so much activity," tweeted volcanologist Janine Krippner.
Volcanos, earthquakes: Is the 'Ring of Fire' alight?

Agreed, there has been an uptick. People running from lava in the Philippines tonight, sez Reuters, earthquakes, etc. Alaska tsunami warnings, nothing came of them.

I hope it settles. Those huge tsunamis that took out so much of Japan and Thailand were terrible.

Earthquakes occur around the Ring of Fire on a daily basis, but the recent string of quakes and eruptions sparked talk of an uptick, with the UN's Office for Disaster Risk Reduction tweeting that the Ring of Fire was "active".

"The Pacific rim is in a period of activity," acknowledged Toshiyasu Nagao, head of Tokai University's Earthquake Prediction Research Centre.

"In terms of volcanic history, however, the current activity is still regarded as normal," he told AFP.

"It's not referred to as the 'ring of fire' because it sits there doing nothing... it is normal to have so much activity," tweeted volcanologist Janine Krippner.

While I generally agree, the super volcano does not have enough water to blow is one example and all new construction on the left coast has to conform to rigorous quake codes there are major problems anyway.

lots of legacy construction, reduced maintenance budgets and rising taxes to offset the loss of tax base means that land slides, damage to Dams/aqueducts and arson could cause a shift in where and how much weight is and set off massive quakes and those problems compound. In other words a manmade big one is becoming more likely by the day.

lots of legacy construction, reduced maintenance budgets and rising taxes to offset the loss of tax base means that land slides, damage to Dams/aqueducts and arson could cause a shift in where and how much weight is and set off massive quakes and those problems compound. In other words a manmade big one is becoming more likely by the day.

Huh! I never have read there could be a human input on something so big as the Earth itself moving.

Yeah, I think everyone knows one day again it will happen. I have seen they are considering new regulations to keep from rebuilding in some damaged areas, and reconsidering other areas, now. This year has awakened them, I believe. I also think the Orville dam started the awakening, realizing that old geology reports of what was actually underneath it have been found to not have been accurate. Makes one question other ages old reports. Just as the recent reports of where actual fault lines exist.

While I generally agree, the super volcano does not have enough water to blow is one example and all new construction on the left coast has to conform to rigorous quake codes there are major problems anyway.

whatever their politics, these people have had way more than their share of natural disasters and I hope Mother Nature doesn’t shit on them again. I have a few friends and some relatives out there on the coast and they would be toast. I will never forget leaving San Francisco and heading to Oakland on th bottom of the double decker bridge. I was,scared straight because all I could think of was pictures of bridge concrete girders on top of crushed cars. I can’t go out that way, give me a hurricane anytime. I pray they skate by a little longer.

Also seismic mapping from back when Doheny was a household name (he discovered oil in the LA tarpits and was part of the teapot dome scandal) were released by the majors this century, if memory serves. CA has a much greater number of faults than anyone ever imagined combined with the strongest low pressure zone on the planet in Death Valley. they are in much bigger trouble than can be quantified.

California has been rocked by an earthquake measure 5.8 magnitude, with a 5.0 shock following just minutes later in a day of seismic activity along the Ring of Fire which has put Californians on alert for the Big One. The first shock measured 5.8 magnitude with a second 5.1 shock following shortly afterward. The most recent quake happened at 5.24pm GMT, or 9.24am local time, while the previous quake

California experiencing quake spike over past 72 hours – Ring of Fire experts on Alert!
---------------------------------------------------

Well I guess people are getting nervous since an article a day is coming out not to mention fairly good sized quakes taking place all over the place not just the US. Eeeeh maybe it's just those asteroids shaking things up a bit.
Either way we better hope that dam super volcano doesn't blow lmao.

After teh Alaska quake, it is expected.

whatever their politics, these people have had way more than their share of natural disasters and I hope Mother Nature doesn’t shit on them again. I have a few friends and some relatives out there on the coast and they would be toast. I will never forget leaving San Francisco and heading to Oakland on th bottom of the double decker bridge. I was,scared straight because all I could think of was pictures of bridge concrete girders on top of crushed cars. I can’t go out that way, give me a hurricane anytime. I pray they skate by a little longer.

I sympathize but I suspect it will get much worse soon.

Forum List

Back