CAFE Standards as Applied to Other Industry

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
Obama
snip,
Back in July, President Obama announced new CAFE standards of 54.4 miles per gallon (MPG) by 2025, which followed his 2009 mandate of an average 35.5 MPG by 2016.

So, based upon those numbers, between 2009 and 2025 (26 years) the federal government has determined that automobile manufacturers must increase the efficiency of their product by 53%. They decided this based solely upon their opinion that it should happen.

Lets look at this from some other industry points of view.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all farms increase the output of their crops by 53%.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all pharmaceutical companies to increase the effectiveness of their medicines by 53%.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all attorneys increase their successful court litigation by 53%.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all house paint covered 53% more square footage.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all typists typed 53% more words in the same amount of time.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all doctors treated 53% more patients.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all airlines offer flights to 53% more locations.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all coat manufactures increase the insulating of coats by 53%.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all roofers increase the house roof to last 53% longer.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all washing machines used 53% less water.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all sport franchises play 53% more games.

Suppose the government passed a law that required that all restaurants served you 53% faster.

Why the heck does the government think it can just arbitrarily decide to force some industry to create a 53% increase/decrease in anything?

It's not "arbitrary".

And it's entirely in line with insuring the industry survives.

I could say the same thing about the other 53% standards that I posted.
It would be just as foolish as your statement.

No you can't.

The United States bailed out the Auto industry. Why? Because it was fucking up. The rest of the world makes cars that are fuel efficent. Not to many other countries buy SUVs. Basically because they really have to pay what fuel really costs without all the subsidies granted by government which keeps prices here artificially low. And instead of taking a world view on the future of the automobile..they took efficient and powerful engines..and put them into big inefficient bodies. And that nearly killed them.

It's not "arbitrary".

No you can't.
Thank you for telling me what I can or cannot say.

The United States bailed out the Auto industry. Why? Because it was fucking up. The rest of the world makes cars that are fuel efficent. Not to many other countries buy SUVs. Basically because they really have to pay what fuel really costs without all the subsidies granted by government which keeps prices here artificially low. And instead of taking a world view on the future of the automobile..they took efficient and powerful engines..and put them into big inefficient bodies. And that nearly killed them.

Please tell me, what other 53% statements I made above that you agree or disagree with.
Are your standards based upon right/wrong, or emotional BS?
Do you think it's the governments responsibility to bail out every industry that "was fucking up" (your words), or just the ones you find precious?

It's not "arbitrary".

No you can't.

Can the United States bail you out because you're a fuck up?

Why doesn't the auto industry mix in some diesel models? It would boost the average fuel economy. To me this has always been a huge mis-step by big auto.

I agree -

To a European, our feeble "35 MPG" is a fucking joke.

Those bastards are getting 40+ with diesels

Why doesn't the auto industry mix in some diesel models? It would boost the average fuel economy. To me this has always been a huge mis-step by big auto.

I agree -

To a European, our feeble "35 MPG" is a fucking joke.

Those bastards are getting 40+ with diesels

Diesel models are available. If the market wanted them in massive numbers, the auto manufactures would make them.

Do either of you drive a diesel? Your choice to do so could influence the market. Government just arbitrarily passing a mpg law won't, anymore than a government law demanding the 53% mandates i put in the OP.

I can't afford a BMW or Mercedes or Audi. Don't like the VW diesel model, and a truck is out of the question.

I guess my point is that automakers are missing out on market opportunity by not offering more models. It's up to their PR and Marketing departments to put the sizzle and sex into the product.

Forum List

Back