CAD/3D schtuff.

Douger

Rookie
Jun 25, 2009
Not fucking there !
Anyone mess with this stuff ? I'm a Linux guy and ran into this.
Sweet Home 3D. Sweet Home 3D
It's about idiot proof after a few YouTube tutorials.Hey. I can run it ! :redface:
I installed today and within an hour had a cabin drawn out and furnished for a victi... I mean client !
Nice !
I wish it had roof design capabilities but I'm chasing templates at the moment. I can probably save in another format and do the roof with Inkscape or Gimp.

Attachments

• $Brian Mon.png
    $Brian Mon.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 89
  • $Brian Mon2.png
    $Brian Mon2.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
:cool:

I was deep into Arch. Drafting in HS.
By the time I got out of the Navy, it all went to CAD.

This sounds really interesting as a way to tip-toe back in to it.

• Banned

I was deep into Arch. Drafting in HS.
By the time I got out of the Navy, it all went to CAD.

This sounds really interesting as a way to tip-toe back in to it.

It's small and basic but I can see some possibilities. I was half assed proficient with A-CAD about 15 years ago when it came to doing ornamental iron and structural steel, stairs etc.
Like the newer versions of Photoshop, I'm sure I would be utterly clueless today.
I found some landscaping templates(trees, decks, pools). Now I need to research importing them.

• Banned
It's miles away from my old T-square and triangles
:D
But nowhere near as precise. It's like the modern" machinists" with digital micrometers trying to measure a crankshaft for a racing engine. No "feel" no accuracy.
.0025 is a forty acre field at 8500 rpm.
"Drawing" a spiral staircase with this gameware still would require a REAL mechanic to make it happen. The victi....errr....customers think it's rocket science :D

I used to use this stuff. Last time professionally was in '06 when working for an outfit in Orlando designing Lasic surgery equipment.

3ds_import_for_solidworks-97971-1.jpeg

It's miles away from my old T-square and triangles
:D

I came up with t-squares and triangles, then drafting machines and then Velum on Macintosh. Went to SolidWorks in '04
Even once I had a good grasp on SolidWorks, I still did optical ray tracing on the board. There are optical design apps today that make that on week exercise an after lunch on Friday project.
All you need to do then is wrap some metal around the optics.

I used to play with a couple of the cheap architectural programs out there but that was a while ago and none of them were set up for roof or exterior (detail) design. I did a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright style designs.

Forum List

Back