Cabinet approves revised disengagement plan

N

NewGuy

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/Printer&cid=1086490421230

This is a pretty heavy article. Only gets meatier as it goes. Here is but a part:

Herb Keinon Jun. 6, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cabinet voted in principle Sunday to withdraw from the Gaza Strip, exactly 37 years after Israel conquered it on the second day of the Six Day War.

By a vote of 14-7, the cabinet – sans the fired tourism minister Benny Elon and transportation minister Avigdor Lieberman, both of National Union – approved the resolution.

The resolution was opposed by five Likud ministers: Ministers-without-Portfolio Uzi Landau and Natan Sharansky, Agriculture Minister Yisrael Katz, Health Minister Dan Naveh, and Internal Security Minister Tzahi Hanegbi; and by Construction and Housing Minister Effi Eitam and Social Affairs Minister Zevulun Orlev of the National Religious Party.
Likud's Finance Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom, and Education Minister Limor Livnat decided in the end to support the resolution, after days of negotiations over a compromise hammered out by Immigration Absorption Minister Tzipi Livni.

According to the resolution, the government approved the staged disengagement plan, while noting "There is nothing in this [decision] to [enable] evacuating settlements."
At the same time, the resolution approved implementing the preparatory work necessary to evacuate the settlements.

"After the preparatory work is completed, the government will reconvene in order to hold a separate discussion and decide whether to evacuate settlements, which settlements, and at what pace – dependent on the conditions at the time," the resolution read.

In other words, according to a senior cabinet official, the government approved the principle of evacuating the 21 Gaza settlements and four more in northern Samaria.

Jerusalem Post. Good source! Who wrote the article?
I know. If Netanyahu agreed to it then all's good. This withdrawl of settlements from Gaza is unprecedented since the removal of settlements in Sinai. However, I believe it to be the right thing.
From what I see, Sharon has not yet let Israel down in all his years of service to her.

Forum List

Back