CA working toward cannabis legalization....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ABikerSailor, Mar 26, 2010.

1. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,462
    This year in November, California is going to put legalization of cannabis for RECREATIONAL purposes on the ballot. Remember, they've already got medical use authorized.

They say that there would be 1 Billion (that's Billion with a "b") in taxable revenue if it passed.

Now, considering the LaGuardia report (commissioned by Nixon), stated cannabis was no worse than alcohol, as well as considering all the exhaustive work done by Harvard Medical and the Royal British Medical Society, I personally think it should be legal.

Besides.......the only reason it was made illegal in the first place was because of the racism of Henry P. Anslinger. He's the one that made it illegal, and the main reason was because Blacks and Hispanics were the main consumers of it.

I think it's time this country changed this racist law.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. uptownlivin90

uptownlivin90 Rebelious Youngin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Absolutely. When that thing passes it's going to be one nice punch in the face to the bullshit ass feds and their tyranny. They'll have a states rights battle on their hands in no time though, which will be interesting to watch. The best way for that to be handled though is for enough states to start passing decriminalization and legalization legislation across the board. I've been working with activists in Maryland for a while now... but we need a new governor, seriously.

Regardless the drug war is unconstitutional, immoral, and costs tax payers billions of dollars to lock up people through unconstitutional means for crimes they commit to themselves. It effects almost every fabric of urban life. The vast majority of young men incarcerated every year are incarcerated for drug-related crimes. Mass incarceration, leads to mass drop out rates, joblessness, homelessness, gang violence and the nanny welfare state is formed where people are forced to rely on the government for sustaining, costing even more tax dollars of the foolish values voters who believe that it's the will of "Jaysus" for the US to protect people from themselves. It's a real f-ed up system that I've seen and lived through, and this little diatribe doesn't even begin to sum up the sick world of the war on drugs. As an activist I've vowed to do whatever I can to stop the war on drugs atrocity. Might even take a trip to California soon... : ) hehehe.

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,728
    it takes an insane liberal to make the arguement that smoking dope is good,, and smoking cigarettes is not.. holy jeeeezus.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    It's racist to not want people, to waste their time getting high and not do anything productive in their life?

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,422
    Seems the whole Pacific Coast will allow Pot

6. uptownlivin90

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    No, you have the right to not want anybody to do anything. However you have no CONSTITUTIONAL right to legislate what people can and cannot do with their own bodies.

Secondly, what is racist is first the origin and the background behind the drug war itself and how it's unfairly targeted African American communities. It is well documented that marijuana prohibition only came about to harm the African American community because it was looked upon as a "black drug".

Today, the VAST majority of problems in most urban communities (gangs, violence, school dropout rates, mass incarceration, AIDs/HIV, poverty, welfare dependency, etc) stem directly or indirectly from the current "War on Drugs", the same way such things stemmed from the prohibition of alcohol in the 20s. It has been a complete disaster in the black and hispanic community more so than in any other community. Which is why as fiscally conservative as I say I am, I'll never sit around and say that the majority of the problems in the city are just simply "black folks fault". This drug war and the overreaching federal government has crippled and the choked the life out of urban areas. Keeping this bullshit going is totally and completely immoral.

7. uptownlivin90

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    I agree. However any state considering the decriminalization of a substance that the feds have no right to prohibit anyway, is a victory for liberty. So... you win some you lose some I guess.

8. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,953
    One more reason for me to move to the west coast.

9. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Latinum, Plantinum,Silver,Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,653
    its only a matter of time.....as long as alcohol and cigs are legal....im all for it....they are much more devastating on society and the individual.....

10. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,462
    Yep........and cannabis is much less harmful to the body than those 2 substances.

Alcohol and cigarettes can't help with Alzheimer's. Cannabis can.