CA legalizes texting while driving.!!!

Once again we see legislators bribed by the auto industry. GM loves car crashes. Car crashes mean car sales.

California drivers will be allowed to text, with restrictions - LA Daily News

California drivers will be allowed to text, with restrictions

Updated: 07/14/2012 07:52:37 PM PDT

SAN JOSE, Calif. - California drivers will be allowed to text when they're behind the wheel of a car, as long as they're using a hands-free device, and with some restrictions.

Under a bill signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown on Friday, beginning Jan. 1, drivers will be able to send, dictate and listen to text messages, but only if they're using a voice-activated device attached to a cellphone by a headset or Bluetooth earpiece, or a program inside a vehicle, like OnStar.

AB 1536, sponsored by California Assemblyman Jeff Miller, R-Corona, will allow Californians to text behind the wheel for the first time since texting while driving was outlawed more than three years ago.

"There's all this brand-new technology coming out that people want to take advantage of and use, and under current law they are unable to do that," Miller told the San Jose Mercury News

Gawd, doesn't that just figure! Politics over life and death....

so you think that the "evil" car companies want to seriously hurt and kill potential customers to improve their sales?

That is seriously the dumbest thing Ive ever heard in my life. And i spent quite a while on a TM thread last night.

your really obsessed wtih me huh?

do I need to get a restraining order?

A restraining order on an anonymous internet message board poster that you could easily avoid by logging off??

funny-gifs-i-lold.gif

Let's see if I have this right - I will harass you, insult you and bug the shit out of you and if you don't like it, simply log off. That about it?

You are probably too young to remember one of the many annoying Republican bumper stickers from the past: "America - Love It Or Leave It." Translation: We reserve the right to treat you any way we see fit and if you don't like it, get the hell out.

Come to think of it, maybe you do remember that bumper sticker . . .

Last edited:
Its funny even before the national ban, i was using a jabra bluetooth speakerphone with dictation etc, but its good to know that they can't ticket me randomly because i was using a "handsfree" device

I can almost understand it. But, you would have to spend two hours at a standstill on the 405 to see how it would work.

The OP is wrong. Drivers are NOT texting, they are simply speaking. The machine translates their words into the message. Its like talking to a passenger.

Talking o a passenger is completely different, the person on the phone has "no skin in the game", the passenger has her life in your hands, they have another set of eyes watching the road unless they are another dumbs phone addict.

The OP is wrong. Drivers are NOT texting, they are simply speaking. The machine translates their words into the message. Its like talking to a passenger.

Actually, that is described in detail in the OP.

You can't read. I never said GM wants to kill people. But they do want cars to die. Each dead car has to be replaced. Car crashes are obviously good for business and the auto industry has been brainwashing people for 100 years into driving recklessly.

This is the first I heard that this was due to special interests of the car industry!

In Texas, where Gov. Perry was criticized for nixing a bill banning texting while driving, the fault was put on communications lobbyists who wanted unrestricted useage for customers, citing drivers who need the cell phone for their delivery jobs to communicate with dispatch.

I like the devices that parents can buy for their teens, which block their cell phones while driving. People need to take responsibility, legally and financially, and not depend on govt or courts to police every detail.

Gov. Perry cited that laws against reckless driving already exist, that was his reasoning.

If drivers had to sign agreements for their licenses, agreeing to pay for ALL damages (including hospitalization and court costs) caused by driving while impaired or texting, then maybe we would not have this problem! Either pay up or hang up! And if parents can't afford to pay for minors under their legal custody, then buy a cell phone blocker for the car.

Drivers shouldn't be talking to passengers either. You're yet another person brainwashed into thinking that driving should be fun!!! Driving a car is the most dangerous thing most of us do.

Then lets make cars with only one seat, for the driver, no radio, no nothing so you can go on an 8 hr road trip with nothing but silence for company.

so you think that the "evil" car companies want to seriously hurt and kill potential customers to improve their sales?

That is seriously the dumbest thing Ive ever heard in my life. And i spent quite a while on a TM thread last night.

your really obsessed wtih me huh?

do I need to get a restraining order?

Everyone is obsessed with you TM.

If you get a restraining order, you will be alone. You don't want that...

Last edited:

I think they don't give a shit either way. They are businesses. You make a lot more money selling cars stuffed with interactive crap than a base model with crank up windows.

Last edited:
Well, that's ok with with me ..if Cali legalizes texting while driving... hey ... that means less loonies liberals will get to vote then...:up::dunno:

Forum List

Back