C-SPAN Challenges Congress to Open Health Care Talks to TV Coverage

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
The head of C-SPAN has implored Congress to open up the last leg of health care reform negotiations to the public, as top Democrats lay plans to hash out the final product among themselves.

C-SPAN CEO Brian Lamb wrote to leaders in the House and Senate Dec. 30 urging them to open "all important negotiations, including any conference committee meetings," to televised coverage on his network.

"The C-SPAN networks will commit the necessary resources to covering all of the sessions LIVE and in their entirety," he wrote.

Congressional leaders, however, reportedly are expected to bypass the traditional conference committee process, in which lawmakers from both parties and chambers meet to reconcile differences between the House and Senate versions of a bill. Instead, The Associated Press reports that top Democrats at the House, Senate and White House will figure out the final product in three-way talks before sending it back to both chambers for a final vote.

This format would seem ideal for closed-door meetings, which congressional Democrats have used many times to figure out sensitive provisions in the health care bill -- though President Obama pledged during the campaign to open up health care talks to C-SPAN's cameras.

"That's what I will do in bringing all parties together, not negotiating behind closed doors, but bringing all parties together, and broadcasting those negotiations on C-SPAN so that the American people can see what the choices are," Obama said at a debate against Hillary Clinton in Los Angeles on Jan. 31, 2008.

FOXNews.com - C-SPAN Challenges Congress to Open Health Care Talks to TV Coverage

You lie.

One more instance of 0bama promising something he has no power to deliver.

Nancy and Harry make the rules.

It seems to me that they have been ignoring 0bama for quite a while now.

Actually none of them had the power to tell C-Span what to air. For one thing, C-Span already has a contract to provide gavel-to-gavel coverage for the House (C-Span) and the Senate (C-Span2) when they're in session. So that leaves C-Span3, which the majority of cable/satellite companies don't include except in their prime packages. C-Span DID provide video coverage of all of the relevant committee meetings at later times, and during the summer break, the Finance Committee was live. Remember they couldn't go home for the holiday?

Note the third paragraph:

http://www.c-span.org/pdf/C-SPAN Health Care Letter.pdf

Actually none of them had the power to tell C-Span what to air. For one thing, C-Span already has a contract to provide gavel-to-gavel coverage for the House (C-Span) and the Senate (C-Span2) when they're in session. So that leaves C-Span3, which the majority of cable/satellite companies don't include except in their prime packages. C-Span DID provide video coverage of all of the relevant committee meetings at later times, and during the summer break, the Finance Committee was live. Remember they couldn't go home for the holiday?

defend scum to the end eh? we are talking about the fusion of the senate and congress bills which is being done behind closed doors purposely excluding republicans

defend scum to the end eh? we are talking about the fusion of the senate and congress bills which is being done behind closed doors purposely excluding republicans

Pelosi has been doing this all along. Remember when she turned out the lights and turned off the mic 'cause she was ready to shut down the House?

She is just one of many worthless, power crazy maniacs we elected to run the country. I would not be unhappy if Nancysuddenly dropped dead....along with Harry. He is just as much a scoundrel as she.

Just think. When he was on the campaign trail repeatedly making his empty C-SPAN promises how many people just swooned at yet another of his examples of the 'change' he was going to bring to America with his administration. Friggin' idiots!

Hoax and change...

Pelosi has been doing this all along. Remember when she turned out the lights and turned off the mic 'cause she was ready to shut down the House?

She is just one of many worthless, power crazy maniacs we elected to run the country. I would not be unhappy if Nancysuddenly dropped dead....along with Harry. He is just as much a scoundrel as she.

We haven't had a good speaker since Tip O'Neill, who had the necessary charisma to gather the troops on both sides of the aisle and work with the president as gentlemen.

My original post in response to that disappeared, maybe because I told you to shaddap unless you knew what you were talking about. The minority party is ALWAYS excluded from House/Senate conference on major bills, which are held solely to iron out differences between two draft bills offered by the majority party, which in this case are the Democrats. This isn't something "new" concocted by "the scum" as you so ignorantly phrased it. Learn something:

Conference committees operate after the House and the Senate have passed different versions of a bill. Conference committees exist to draft a compromise bill that both houses can accept. Both houses of Congress must eventually pass the identical legislation for the bill to become law. (See U.S. Const., art I, sec. 7.) The two houses can reach that identical product through the process of amendments between Houses, where the House passes the Senate bill with a House amendment, or vice versa, but this process can be cumbersome. Thus most major bills become law through using a conference committee. (See Sen. Procedure, 449)

The bill is therefore, finally, ready for an up or down vote in the Senate, which is where Republicans will get to yell s'more and repeat their objections which we've already heard a gazillion times.

That's because he is an empty suit, always has been, and he has been effectively rolled by Pelosi and Reid.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Api4fUziAnI[/ame]

A very, very weak President, who is very easily swayed by the left wing loons in the country that make up a MINORITY of the population. He has yet to figure that out.

Last edited:
Robert Gibbs dithers and evades the question here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsliZ5RW2IY

What a tool! :lol:

Why shouldn't he evade a question he doesn't have an answer to? Picky picky picky. Why would non-dems be so eager to have their ears tuned to a bunch of Democrats finalizing and cutting and pasting together a final bill? Once it's done, it will then go to the Senate floor and the Republicans can carry on with repeat performances, all of which have been in full view on C-Span.

That's because he is an empty suit, always has been, and he has been effectively rolled by Pelosi and Reid.

A very, very weak President, who is very easily swayed by the left wing loons in the country that make up a MINORITY of the population. He has yet to figure that out.

Yeah, and that's why the House version contains the public option, but the Senate version does not, among other MAJOR differences. Jeezus, do you people EVER actually pay attention or just repeat the talking points you hear from your RWNM?

No to C-Span, I mean why would the American people be interested in the health care legislation, "Just get it done...":

Obama wants to fast track a final health care bill - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

Obama wants to fast track a final health care bill
08:16 AM

By J. Scott Applewhite, AP
The White House didn't say much about last night's health care talks between President Obama and congressional Democrats, but officials made it clear they're cool with fast-tracking the final phase of legislation, with no public hearings and no Republican involvement.

"The president is anxious to get the differences worked out and get a bill to both houses and passed out of them," said White House spokesman Robert Gibbs....

No to C-Span, I mean why would the American people be interested in the health care legislation, "Just get it done...":

Obama wants to fast track a final health care bill - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

Obama wants to fast track a final health care bill
08:16 AM

By J. Scott Applewhite, AP
The White House didn't say much about last night's health care talks between President Obama and congressional Democrats, but officials made it clear they're cool with fast-tracking the final phase of legislation, with no public hearings and no Republican involvement.

"The president is anxious to get the differences worked out and get a bill to both houses and passed out of them," said White House spokesman Robert Gibbs....

That's their option, being the majority party in both chambers. So? I don't think the defense bill went to conference either. The bill advances for a final vote when Republicans can yell (again) all they want until someone moves for a vote. The Senate debate and final vote obviously will be televised, not just on C-Span but everywhere.

Why shouldn't he evade a question he doesn't have an answer to? Picky picky picky. Why would non-dems be so eager to have their ears tuned to a bunch of Democrats finalizing and cutting and pasting together a final bill? Once it's done, it will then go to the Senate floor and the Republicans can carry on with repeat performances, all of which have been in full view on C-Span.
The question has been on the table for three days now.

Gibbs is an incompetent press agent for an incompetent employer.

The question has been on the table for three days now.

Gibbs is an incompetent press agent for an incompetent employer.

Go to C-Span.org. They HAVE broadcast all the committee hearings. In case you're unaware, the full Senate has not been involved in the debates over this past year other than the cloture vote.

And I really couldn't give a sweet shit how you feel about Robert Gibbs nor Barack Obama, but I suppose it makes you feel temporarily smug to keep repeating it, so carry on. I expect no more from you.

Forum List

Back